Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
eil08's profile

8 Messages

Monday, March 11th, 2024 2:42 PM

Locating a modem

i have to return an AT&T modem from my parent's house and have not been able to locate it. It may sound odd but it's nowhere near any of the TVs or in a closet. We have moved furniture, etc. and have come up empty. They don't use the internet so we are removing it to save them some money on a monthly basis but if we are unable to locate it, they will be charged $150. No one will come out to their home despite explaining the situation and having two elderly, non-technology friendly persons living in the home. Any ideas on where the modem would have been installed aside from the usual areas I mentioned?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

2 months ago

Look at back of the DVR or Genie, if an Ethernet cable is connected follow the cable…. Should go to the gateway.

Tutor

• 

434 Messages

2 months ago

Check the garage, check the attic.

Look inside entertainment cabinets. Some folks didn't like how modems looked and tried to hide them in cabinets or on shelves (e.g., between books).

Go to the outside of the house and figure where the wiring comes into the house. If a newer install, they often do not go far from the other side of the wall of that location.

Look in every room by each power outlet.

Look in every room by any other phone or connection jack.

Don't assume it is in an easy to access or see location (e.g., I have seen them tucked away on a high shelf in a closet, under a bed, in the back of a closed night stand, on a plant shelf, behind a dresser, etc.).

(edited)

8 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks so much @thechef1 

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

2 months ago

If have a basement could be there…

Do they have ATT Phone previously called Uverse VoIP?

Home phone service is sold as an add on to the internet service.

Therefore the gateway is likely located either by a phone or base station or near where the phone lines connect into the house.

Note cancelling internet and returning equipment means cancelling their home phone service if they have it.

8 Messages

2 months ago

@my thoughts they don't have a basement and they have DirecTV with the internet service.  AT&T is no longer managing the DirecTV as I understood it and when the internet was terminated this past week, the tv worked just as before. They don't have home service. Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

2 months ago

Was everything connected by WiFi that used internet? A single wired device should let you follow the Ethernet cord back to it.

Canceling internet will not hurt DirecTV since it is by satellite. They just will no longer have the optional On Demand features.

8 Messages

2 months ago

Not 100% sure. I will take a look. thank you for the suggestion!

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

2 months ago

If you can get the model of Gateway (modem/router combo) from customer support then at least you could verify a picture of exactly what box you're looking for. Sometimes that might make it pop in your vision when searching a room.

You mention they don't use internet. Was it being used recently? If not and has been a long time, I might wonder if someone unplugged it and stored it to take care of later (or worse disposed of it).

8 Messages

2 months ago

@Juniper I have the S/N and the Gateway model. 

They connected to it as recently as the end of last month so it's there somewhere!

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

2 months ago

You've got the model, perfect. So you know what it looks like. The S/N will just identify the exact one is theirs of course so keep that private.

When you do locate it and take to a participating FedEx/The UPS Store for the free return, make absolutely sure to keep receipt showing they took possession.

And yes, most companies do not send someone out for to remove equipment that is just shipped back. Standard in the industry I'm afraid.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.