Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
The18thLetter's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Fri, Oct 25, 2013 6:23 PM

List of U-verse approved 3rd party modems

I currently have U-verse high speed Internet at my home, the 24 Mbps connection. I'm curious if there's a list of approved 3rd party routers that are compatible with U-verse's high speed Internet? I know they're available for cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner, but I haven't been able to find one for U-verse. 

Does anyone know of where I can find an approved list? Or if there is even one available? Or is this something that can only be done with traditional cable companies?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

8 y ago

There is no such list.  If you mean as a replacement for the RG, there are no options: You have to use an AT&T device.

I you mean as a router connected to AT&T's RG, AT&T will not aid you with configuration of any third party router, unless you're talking to ConnecTech, so there are no "supported routers."  However, on the other hand, there isn't really much need for a list.  Most routers will work fine in this regard.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 y ago

@TheInspector069 wrote:
Again, you are incorrect. I bought my modem 2015 there may be a one time activation fee but that is it they cannot charge a fee on a service they can only charge on equipment and labor.

It could also be based on the state in which you live.

If you are a non-old-school-DSL customer, and you got service after January 11, 2015, then:

1) AT&T would not have sold you a gateway

2) AT&T would have charged you a fee since installation

3) But AT&T may have also issued an offsetting credit.

This does not vary based upon state.  This is an entire AT&T U-verse footprint policy.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 y ago

I mis-spoke. I meant to say are there any third party modems, not routers. I have a Time Capsule as my router, and don't wish to replace that. It's a great piece of hardware. I was trying to avoid the monthly lease fee for my RG and wondered if there were any commercially (retail) available alternatives that I could purchase. 

Regardless, it seems by your feedback that there isn't.

Thanks a lot for your help.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

8 y ago

You can configure the RG to place your router in a DMZplus zone or IPpassthru mode (bridge-light).

See post 2 in this thread.

Red_wood

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

I am currently on a 12Mbps U-verse Internet with a 3801HGV Gateway.

If I want to upgrade to either 18Mbps or 24Mbps U-verse, can I use the existing 3801HGV Gateway? 

Red_wood

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

I will open a new discussion for this subject...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

Is there any significant difference between the ATT 3600 RG and 5031RG?  Thanks

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

5 y ago

Typically, while you can purchase "compatable" devices to what ATT privides for u-verse service, att will only activate devices provided by them.

There really is no way around renting one, as they no longer sell them. (since about feb. 2015)

If you already had one prior to 2015, you could still keep using it without the monthly leasing fee, as you were grandfathered..

however, and new service after feb 2015 required the equipment lease, and if you already had one, but had to replace it, the new device will have the rental..

Only way around that is to go with another internet provider, assuming you can find one that does not charge leacing fees.

Definatly not what one wants to hear, but still the situation, popular or not.

who knows though.. if the fcc gets its way, and forces service providers to allow 3rd party makes to provide set top boxes in place of cable companies, that might change. That, in my opinion is not likly to happen.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

So if I get a used 3600, 5031 or 589, and return the one they provided, I won't be able to use it and not get charged a monthly equipment fee because ATT won't recognize or activate it?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 y ago

It is true, you are unable to buy a modem from a retail store and have it work with the AT&T service. However, you can buy an Imodium out right from AT&T for $100 and there is no reoccurring fee

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

3 y ago

@TheInspector069 wrote:

It is true, you are unable to buy a modem from a retail store and have it work with the AT&T service. However, you can buy an Imodium out right from AT&T for $100 and there is no reoccurring fee

Not true.  This has been discussed many, many times since Jan. 2015 when the TOS changed.  And while you can purchase a modem (not from AT&T), you will still incur the monthly fee when it is activated.  Some subs have put a second modem behind the ATT modem to improve speed or limit access for the kids.

HERE is just one thread among many.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 y ago

Again, you are incorrect. I bought my modem 2015 there may be a one time activation fee but that is it they cannot charge a fee on a service they can only charge on equipment and labor.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 y ago

I suggest you look under Internet and home networking accessories and equipment.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 y ago

Again, you cannot be charged a fee on a service only products that you rent from AT&T can they charge a fee. If you’re charging a fee and you own the equipment it’s time to contact your attorney which I have already had. I’ve sent this documentation to my attorney because it falls under fraud and as a man and falsified information on services and products. So I’m happy to report formal litigation will take place as of Monday morning.

If you delete any my for the replies that falls against the constitution that will also be mentioned in court.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

3 y ago

@TheInspector069 wrote:

If you are using a modem that you bought PRIOR to the TOS changing (Jan. 2015) then you are grandfathered in.  If you change any part of your service or acquire a different modem/RG after that date, you will fall under the NEW TOS. 

Here's a different thread.with the same info.

Subs have posted time and time again where this happened.  Location has nothing to do with it.

Let us know how that litigation goes.  If you don't think AT&T has a room full of attorneys who make sure the company is covered, you are fooling yourself.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.