Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
K

• 

8 Messages

Mon, Jan 20, 2020 2:29 AM

Kindle connecting to wifi, but not syncing with Amazon cloud

I have a new kindle (I've had several and have had no trouble before) and it connects to my internet no problem. However, when I buy a new book, it doesn't always show up in the cloud or on the device. Sometimes it shows up immediately, sometimes it's hours later. AT&T says it's an Amazon problem. Amazon says it's an AT&T problem and neither will help me.

Responses

• 

8 Messages

9 months ago

Also, I've tried everything to fix this...restarting my router, forgetting the network on the device, restarting the device, etc, etc.

It has to be some kind of setting in my router configuration, but I don't know how to fix it and customer service wants to send me to a third party for $49. I'm very frustrated.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43K Messages

It has to be some kind of setting in my router configuration

Not necessarily, in fact, it’s very unlikely. It’s most likely an issue with your Amazon account or device settings or perhaps your new kindle has a problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

8 Messages

@sandblaster I should have said that this is the third brand new Kindle in a row (2 paperwhites and now an Oasis) that this has happened to. I got a paperwhite for Christmas and had this issue. Sent it back and Amazon sent me a new one. Same issue. Sent it back. Got an Oasis. Same issue. I have had a kindle since 2011 and have never had this issue before. There is no way Amazon sent me three bad devices in a row. It's not my account. I have a Kindle that I'm still using (new one is going to replace it) and that one works fine. I can have them literally side by side and one will sync and the other won't. But three in a row is a pretty big coincidence.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43K Messages

That’s a head scratcher for sure but one device working fine and the other not just doesn’t equate to settings on your router, especially since you say syncing is the only issue, other internet access works fine. Do you per chance have both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ WiFi enabled? That shouldn’t make a difference either but it’s about the only difference between an old and new device I can think of meaning the old device may only connect to the 2.4GHZ WiFi.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

8 Messages

Yes, when I log into my router, under "status" for both 2.4 and 5 it says "on." I can see my device on my list of home network devices. It connects at 2.4, as does the one that works properly.

That said, I don't know enough about routers to know if something is connected properly, but the device's status is active, it shows me some connectivity bars, and is 2.4 under the frequency heading.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

What AT&T router do you have? I have a Kindle Fire a couple years old, had all kinds of Wifi connectivity issues. It would sometimes connect to 2.4Ghz and other times the 5Ghz band. Would constantly drop out and try to reconnect. If I'm not mistaken, any recent Kindle should be 5Ghz capable. I'm trying to remember what I did to get it working, may have been turning off IPV6 in the router settings, I had the Pace 5268AC. I also had a couple of those signal boosters that AT&T sold that were compatible with the Pace, junked those eventually and got an Orbi system.

• 

8 Messages

We have a gateway router and some google home extenders/boosters (these work really well). I have tried to connect to the router and the extenders and neither one works consistently.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

I don't use my Kindle anymore, will charge it up tonight and look at the settings to see if anything jogs my memory about how I got it working. It may have been when I turned off the Wifi on the Pace gateway and began using the Orbi. If you do a Google search, wifi issues with Kindle's are well documented although I don't remember seeing a specific solution anywhere.

• 

8 Messages

@Mccorma Yea, I've dug through everything I can find on the internet. This is my 4th kindle and both my kids have a fire and this has never happened.

Today's it's working. Tomorrow, who knows! It's just frustrating that I can't get figure it out and both service departments say it's the other's fault.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Long shot here- I recall that in the Kindle settings somewhere, there was a setting to turn off the Wifi to conserve battery or something. I think it was in the power settings. Maybe your connection is timing out and causing difficulty with the cloud sync. I had to disable that feature to keep mine from disconnecting when it would go to "sleep" and then having connection issues when it was "awakened".

• 

8 Messages

I don't see anything like that on my Kindle. I keep it mostly on airplane mode, anyway.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

On my Kindle Fire, it's under the Power settings and called Smart Suspend, to turn off the wifi during periods of inactivity. Dumb question though- if you are keeping it in airplane mode most of the time, how would it be able to connect to the cloud and download your content in the background??

• 

8 Messages

I definitely don't have that. Keeping the wifi turned on drains the battery because all I really need it to do is download books every now and then. As soon as it connects to wifi, it syncs and immediately connects to the cloud.

The problem I'm facing is when I connect to wifi, it doesn't sync with the cloud like it should.

Get started...

Ask a new question