Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
N

• 

4 Messages

Friday, May 15th, 2020 3:12 PM

Just got Fiber 1000 - speed tests are perfect, but extremely slow webpage loading times on some devices

Hello all!

I recently got Fiber 1000 installed with the BGW210 gateway. My wired PC is getting 950 up / 950 down, but there seems to be a problem with the wifi. My phone for example - when I am on the 5ghz band I can search a phrase on google and it will take 10 seconds to populate the page. Streaming works fine on the phone, its just the initial populating that takes absolutely forever.

I have read that the BGW210 has some serious wifi problems and that the only fix is to get a 3rd party router and do IP Passthrough mode.

I have seen countless posts about how to achieve this and they all have different steps. I am not very network savvy, so if anyone could give me updated step by step instructions I would be extremely grateful. Unless there is some other new workaround?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

Try forgetting the gateway network on your phone. Then reconnecting to the gateway network. Does this problem occur everywhere in your home on 5 band or just certain areas of the home? No issues with 2.4? If only certain parts of the home, an att network extender may help. Or moving the gateway to a more central location in the home could help.

5 band has a shorter range than 2.4 band, so signal problems on 5 band is common. What type and size home? Location of the gateway?

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

I do have an ATT Network extender ;) It's anywhere in the house. and its affecting multiple devices (both our phones, Amazon FireTV Stick). 2.4GhZ seems to be totally fine. I've done a lot of research on this and I've seen hundreds if not thousands of people complaining about the exact same problem :/

Reconnecting fixes it for about 1 hour, then goes back to being messed up

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

Sounds like you may have a bad gateway. Try factory resetting it and I’d try asking to have a new one mailed to you. When you get the new one, connect it and see if the 5 band works better. If not return the replacement and get an inexpensive ac1900 or higher router. Set up as an access point. If you have a large home, look into a mesh WiFi system. More money than a plain old router.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

@browndk26 I don't think so because like I said there are hundreds of forum posts all over the internet with this exact same problem - and many people have reported that even after getting their gateway swapped out, the problem persists. It seems to be just a garbage gateway that has this problem and AT&T won't address it.

I guess I am trying to figure out the best way to do IP Passthrough to use my own 3rd party router

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

I understand. I have a router behind the gateway since I have a large two story home.

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-equipment/strict-nat-bridge-mode-what-is-ip-passthrough-can-i-enable-on-my-arris-bgw210-or-like-router/5defbfffbad5f2f606ad5ed2

As I stated earlier.

get an inexpensive ac1900 or higher router. Set up as an access point. If you have a large home, look into a mesh WiFi system. More money than a plain old router.

I would set up the router as an access point.

Getting 950 up/down, I would leave the pc connection as is and just turn off the gateway wifi

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

@browndk26 thanks! So what is the difference in doing IP Passthrough, and setting up the 3rd party router as a Access Point?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.