For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
willie447's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 1:26 AM

Issues with the wireless access point...

I've got the modem in the office, which shares a wall with the family room.  The cat 5 line for the wireless access point runs from the modem in the office to the cabinet in the family room.  I'm trying to split this cat 5 line with either a splitter or network switch to run a line to the WAP and to my slingbox (slingbox is on other side of family room, but I can run the split cat 5 line through the basement under the family to the slingbox location).  However, the splitter and switch I've tried are causing the TV's connected to the WAP to have signal come and go.  The wireless TV receivers show 4-5 bars, but the TV picture keeps freezing.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Kyle

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I believe, it is not a good idea to mix TV(WAP) and internet access (slingbox) on the same cat5 cable back to the RG.

On the other hand, if the STB for the slingbox TV is connected COAX,  the slingbox can be plugged in the network connection on the STB.

The way to multiple cat5 is a switch or a router that acts like a switch (not a splitter). But, do not combine TV & internet access on the same switch.

Get more cat5 at momoprice.com.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

What switches did you try  to use?

Have you tried this one? http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSafe-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop/dp/B0000BVYT3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411436918&sr=8-1&keywords=GS105

People typically have good results with this switch and U-verse's multicast traffic.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

While not necessarily recommended, it is normally possible to mix IPTV and normal network traffic on the same switch, as long as:

1) It's a reasonably powerful Gigabit switch, and

2) None of the network devices are Wireless Routers or Access Points (other than the IPTV WAP, that one's okay).

Are you sure that's a switch you're connecting them through?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.