Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
jacobrich

Explorer

• 

21 Messages

Tue, May 10, 2016 8:35 PM

Is there any way around the $7 equipment rental fee?

For several ears I was grandfathered into a plan that allowed me to bypass the $7/mo equipment rental fee. This month AT&T took me out of this program. At $84 annually, this fee seems a little high. Is it possible to purchase a Gateway device so I am no longer charged this fee?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

4 years ago

Gateway purchases for internet only or internet /VoIP accounts ended with the change in the Uverse terms of service agreement January 12, 2015.

The question is why not previously charged?

If internet only or internet/VoIP on a single pair copper install (not bonded, not FTTP, not TV), you likely paid $100 for the gateway with a 12 month warranty. Any issues with the customer owned gateway requiring a service call should have been either a $99 service call (reset gateway, wiring, etc) or a $100 charge to replace an out of warranty gateway. Eligible models were 510, 3600, 5031.

Why now charged?

What changed, moved requiring a new install or the gateway was replaced on a repair visit or the gateway was replaced due to an upgrade such as faster internet.

Now the company is responsible for the current and future maintance of the gateway and has a $7 monthly fee to cover the expense of maintains or replacing the gateway instead of charging a service call ($99) or replacement fee ($100).

This fee has always (since Jan 2012 that I know of) been charged for any bonded install or FTTP install even if internet only. Additionally any account with Uverse IPTV/internet has never been a purchased gateway, the fee applied.

Now all customers treated the same, one policy, one fee. Techs can now replace without billing customers service calls or gateway replacement for gateway issues.

Edit: to answer the question... To not have the fee is to not have the service.

Edit to edit...

From Uverse fine print details....

For new residential customers. Includes U-verse® High Speed Internet...  12-month term required. Must maintain qualifying services for continued receipt of bill credits. Up to $180 Early Termination Fee applies if Internet is disconnected before end of term. AT&T Wi-Fi Gateway required. Promotional pricing applies to service rates only; excludes taxes, up to $99 installation charge, and a monthly Internet equipment fee. Internet price includes 250GB of data per month.

From the Uverse Internet Terms of Service (required agreement to establish service)...

6. Payment

Service customers agree to pay: (1) the monthly fee specified when you ordered your Service; (2) the charge for all equipment required for your Service; (3) activation fees, connection and/or installation charges, if any; (4) late fees, restoral of Service fees and other applicable Service charges; and (4) any applicable taxes, recovery fees and surcharges which AT&T pays to municipalities and other governmental entities and may pass on to you.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
jacobrich

Explorer

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for the response. Now that AT&T is responsible for maintaining my Gateway, is it possible to always stay current with the latest Gateway technology? For example, may I request a new router every year from customer service?

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

4 years ago

Yes, you may call in and request a replacement gateway.

Either direct ship, you replace and return old via a UPS store front 

or request a tech dispatch, (4) hour appointment window where tech will replace and remove gateway.

Equipment does not change that often...

In 2011 gateways were 510, 3600, 3800, 3801 and for bonded pair long loop 3812 inid with i38hg indoor unit for internet.

In 2013 two new gateways released.... The 5031 to replace the 3600 and the 589 to replace the bonded pair inid 3812. At this time the company released short loop bonded pair Power 45 internet. The new gateways offered "N" wireless while older gateways were b/g. All gateways still single band 2.4 wireless. 

In 2015, to support the GigaPower accounts the 599, 5268 gateways were released.

These are the first dual band gateways 2.4/5, first to offer a guest network, first to offer "ac" wireless.

Based on history would not expect any newer releases till probably 2017. Likely supporting more GigaPower or combined DirecTv/Uverse functions.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I complained and they upgraded my plan speed and removed the equipment fee. I have just Uverse internet. I used to have the 12Mbps plan and when I coimplained to customer retention about the equipment fee AND the relatively high price for speed (compared to competators), they upgraded me to the 24Mbps plan (Turbo, I think) and stated the equip fee included in the price of the plan now. Thats not a 1-year exception, I was told. Its permanent. Fingers crossed. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I have had U-Verse since 2013, same gateway, same service. At the time, the equipment fee was waived, due special going on. 2 months ago, the fee was on my bill. I called, and after going through several questions, they removed the fee, & he said a note would be on my acount.

Last month, the $7 fee was back. I called & was told nothing could be done, the fee would stay. I asked to speak with a supervisor, & was placed on hold. I waited on hold for 35 minutes, I hung up after 35 minutes, I had a Drs. appointment. During the conversation, the CS asked for my number in case we got disconnected. They never called back.

I called back today, & the recording said there was a long wait time, & I could get answers on the web. I will try again tomorrow.

How do I get this $7 fee removed, for good?

Thank you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

In September 2014, I enrolled in ATT Uverse. I was charged for $100 for the Internet Gateway and was told that it was a one time charge for the equipment and will not be charged monthly for the equipment fee, which was true for 2014, 2015, and most of 2016. In September 2016, I bundled my internet and cell service so that I would have just one bill and was told that I would save money if I bundled. Since I have bundled my services, I have been charged for the equipment fee of $10.65 every month.

I have called in every month and spent numberous hours with support reps and they tell me that they have removed it but it's still on my bill every month.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

So why use AT&T at all. Why not just find another provider that's more customer freindly. A provider that doesn't lie to their customers? Why do people tolerate this?