For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
H

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021 11:10 PM

Is the ATT Uverse 5268AC MODEM an upgrade to the ATT Uverse nvg589?

I have had issues with internet and contacted an AT&T assistant. I was informed that my modem (ATT Uverse nvg589) was outdated and they would be sending the new  ATT Uverse 5268AC MODEM.  However looking at the internet made me realize this might be an old modem as well and it is just AT& T trying a bait and switch to keep me from leaving.  I know I may be wrong but can anyone provide some insight please.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

They are both still actively installed gateways...

ATT will keep equipment being placed in the field for at least 8 years before calling End Of Life (EOL) meaning no new units going out but existing units in the field are not replaced until there is a problem requiring replacement.

There are still 510, 3600, 3800 and 3812 still being used at locations that are older than the 589... these other units are EOL. The 589 is not.

The 589 first released 4th quarter 2013 as an upgrade to the 3812, which was the first bonded pair gateway available from ATT. The 589 is 2.4Ghz b/g/n wireless (previous units were only b/g) with (4) T100/T1000 ethernet ports and RED ONT port to be used for the new fiber  (FTTP) installs occurring.

The 599 is the direct replacement upgrade which was released same time as the 5268 (different manufactures) in late 2015. These were the first dual band gateways offering both 2.4Ghz b/g/n wireless and the 5Ghz n/ac wireless along with same (4) T100/T1000 ports found on the 589. These are also the last gateways to have coax output for UVERSE IPTV service. 

The 210 gateway released late 2017 has all the same features as the 599 / 5268 except for having no coax connection. This unit was designed after the purchase of DirecTv and uses a DTV power supply.

All four models are still actively carried by techs and assigned to new installations.... the 589 is now more often used for ADSL2+ internet replacing the 510 and 5031 gateways that are EOL. As best internet speed for ADSL2+ is 18/1 or less the 2.4Ghz wireless does way more than that. 

If your internet speed is 45 or greater  (45, 50, 75, 100) then should be assigned a dual band model of 210, 599, or 5268.

If your internet speed is 25 then any of the 4 models would be good to go.

While you may desire something newer, the units provided are ATT equipment, inventory is assigned as needed... if desire more features may always place your own equipment behind the gateway turning off the ATT wifi circuit.   

BTW must customers (non fiber) doing self installs are provided the 5268 in our Milwaukee market. And all ATT FIXED WIRELESS customers receive the 5268 gateway. The model is a currently approved unit and likely will be for several more years till ATT completely turns off all UVERSE IPTV customers.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for the insight on this issue and answering my question.  I have a better understanding of this because of your answer.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.