Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Jint12's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, October 4th, 2014 3:16 AM

intermittent packet loss and time outs

I've had att's 18mbit internet for a couple of months now with the usual hiccup every now and then but for the most part it had worked fine. This problem just started ocurring today. 

I noticed the problem as soon as I got on the computer because I play online games often, stream music, and video and all 3 forms of media were being disrupted. The game would constantly try to re-connect, and the songs and video would play but skip around and stop often.

I have att's modem/wifi router 3800HGV-B(?) connected to my own router which is connected to my desktop through ethernet. 

So to attempt to clue myself at what could be the problem I left a command window open pinging google constantly and had ocassional "Request timed out" during the times when the game disconnected.

http://imgur.com/PfbcR0b

I let it run the 999 pings as I used the computer and the result was 5% packet loss, but usually the connection would time out when it was active not when it was idle. So most of the time the timed out messages would appear would be when I used the internet somehow.

I did the same thing again but this time I left my computer pinging my router which resulted in no timed out pings during the disconnects so I assumed there was nothing wrong with my router.

Again I did the same thing this time pinging the gateway to see if there a connection issue between my router and the gateway but the pings went smoothly.

I have already talked to tech support, they rushed me through a simple diagnosis and assumed the gateway was bad but it didn't feel that way. Is there anything else that could be the problem?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hey man, I'm experiencing the same exact thing since the 3rd. Given I have the 6mbs internet not the 18, but out of the blue my laptop will get intermittant packet loss. The bizzar thing is if i'm in the same room as the router then it will work just fine 0-1 lost packet in total. But if i'm outside of the room then I can get anywhere from 4%-10%. It is gross. Tried talking to a tech rep and he literally told me nothing of use in the slightest. 

He gave me a number to some other service thet have where is more of a computer service where you pay 15$ a month for a year (talk about a rip off to fix a problem once). I am going to check to see if it is my laptop or just the signal is messed up with the router. May need to replace one of them. I'm going to try to look more into it more than I have already and maybe tryt o come up with a solution. But i'm not expecting much out of what a call can do with these guys. I would suggest you try to connect to another internet connection to check to see if which is causing the problems (computer or internet connection). I guess this could be a different story since I am using a laptop and all buthey just wanted to let you know you aren't alone bud.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.