Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
scmshi's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thu, May 1, 2014 3:38 PM

Intermittent Internet Connection Problems

Hello. I am new to this forum and limited in my technical knowledge/abilities. We had U-Verse Internet and VOIP installed approximately one year ago. For the first ten months, we lost our internet connection just a few times. However, for the last six or seven weeks, we have had ongoing intermitten connection problems, most of which occur between 10pm and 5am.The trouble with this is that every time the connection drops, our security system goes into trouble mode (because it no longer detects a working phone line), which requires getting up out of bed and shutting it off. This has happened as often as ten times a night!

So far, we have been in phone contact with Tier 1 tech support as well as Tier 2/escalations tech support. We have also had visits by four different techs (2 inside techs, and 2 outside techs). Here is what the techs have done so far:

Inside Tech #1-tested jack with some meter and replaced or modem. Did not resolve the issue.

Inside Tech #2-re-configured the wiring in our phone box on side of house, in home network box inside house, and at jack near modem. Called this "Home Run" wiring. Did not resolve the issue.

Outside Tech #1-supposedly ran some line test at the main box 3,086 feet from our house. Did not resolve the issue.

Outside Tech #2-Checked the wiring in our phone box on side of house. Replaced a previously spliced drop line cable in the terminal box in our front yard. Replaced a coil in the Vrad at the main box. Put us on a different (existing) line at the main box. Did not resolve the issue.

The lack of communication between the technical support team, outside technicians, and customer is incredibly out of control. Every single time we call, we talk to somebody different and have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. Further, the technical support team does not seem to know what is going on and different reps have given us contradictory information during different calls.

Recently, appointments for an inside tech and an outside tech were scheduled for the same day (April 28). The inside tech did not appear during the 4 hour appointment window and when I called after waiting another hour, the tech support rep had no idea why and could not find out. I waited another several hours for the outside tech but he did not appear either. Finally, in the evening I got a call telling me that the outside tech would arrive the next day (which he did). Then, last night I received an automated call stating that another tech (inside?) would be here this morning. I could not determine the source of this appointment and the tech support rep could not say who had scheduled this appointment.

Based on our experience, I am beginning to think this problem will never be corrected. We cannot continue to spend hours/days each week going back and forth with AT & T, missing work, losing sleep because of the connection drops at night, etc. and are thinking about just leaving AT & T altogether and starting over elsewhere, or, at the very least, getting rid of the VOIP voice service and going back to our old land phone line. It wouldn't necessarily resolve the ongoing/intermittent internet connection issues but at least our security system trouble mode would not wake us up each and every time the internet connection drops in the middle of the night.

At this point, we are beyond fed up with the whole situation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Scmshi

Responses

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

7 years ago

scmshi - You sure do have a lot of patience. My first thought was - It could be anything. But, I see you have already checked everything.

The only rabbit I have left in the hat is a high efficiency furnace. Did you have one installed just before this started. It has been reported as a source of interference. Can you turn off your furnace for the night? Anything else you can turn off?

If it is some other interference, try a line smoother, I think triplet, I will have to find the link.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Our furnace is 11 years old. The mystery here is that we had no problems with the internet/VOIP for the first ten months or so after it was set up, only the last month plus.

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

7 years ago

scmshi - Well, something has changed. Do you have a Ham radio operator nearby? I still would try the furnace turned off.

Have you considered it could be the alarm system or the connection?

Here is the post on the trip lite. I was thinking there was a bigger & better one. But, if this works - http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Treadmill-interference-with-U-Verse/td-p/3797387

Can you run UVrealtime to see if it tells anything - http://www.uvrealtime.com/

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems almost anything in my house or even in/on my neighbor's house could cause line interference. At this point, we simply don't have more time to allocate to this problem by experimenting/troubleshooting, etc in hopes of pinpointing one piece of equipment, light bulb, radio, etc.

The latest inside tech visit #3 this morning did not reveal any problems with the home run wiring in our phone box or home network box. They are going to create a new ticket for yet another outside tech visit. If they cannot resolve the problem shortly, we see no realistic alternative but to run up the white flag and request that our old land phone line (POTS) be re-installed, so our phone line will not be on VOIP any longer.

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Update: The outside tech came yesterday afternoon, put us on a new port, but the connection problems continue. However, by coincedence, I was talking to a neighbor who also has AT & T and has been experiencing the same problems. Incredibly, BOTH of our service went down at the exact same time and came back up at exactly the same time last night. So, this pretty much rules out anything in/on either of our properties. I relayed this information to the same outside tech for further investigation, however it seems apparent that the prolem is somewhere within AT & T's infrastructure (Main box/VRAD, lines that feed our neighborhood, etc.). When and if they can identify and finally fix the problem remains to be seen...

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Most recent update: Nothing has changed. The problems remain despite six separate tech visits and countless calls to tech support. We thought we had a solution when speaking with the escalations/retention department May 29. They promised to re-connect our old POTS line on June 4 and then disconnect our VOIP line. We received a 12 hour appointment window from 8am to 8pm with assurances that a tech would call in the morning with a tighter time frame. No such call was received and nobody I spoke with mid afternoon in tech support could provide any details. So, I waited until 8pm that night. Surprise, surprise, NOBODY showed up and when checking the order status online this morning, there was no reference to the original order. It was simply GONE. Another THREE hours on the phone with tech support today and a new appointment was scheduled for June 18. At this point, we have little to no faith in ANYTHING that AT & T tells us. They have simply failed to follow up and show up as SCHEDULED AND PROMISED too many times now over the last several months. This feels like a bad nightmare that is never ending. Hopefully, I will wake up soon.....The incompetence and lack of any real concern by anybody inside AT & T is truly unbelieavable.

Get started...

Ask a new question