For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
T

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, April 15th, 2020 4:05 PM

Intermittent DSL loss

Short and sweet version:

Our DSL connection is being lost randomly causing loss of connection for 1-3 min at a time.

Explanation:

We have had a technician come out and fix the issue, over the phone I was told the issue was caused by damage to the line 4k ft down the road. However, the tech that came told us that it is due to too many devices which is a bunch of nonsense. This is because we only have 2 and sometimes 3 devices connected at a time. I even checked in the modem status(192.168.1.254) to see how many were connected. Additionally this only started to happen during/directly after a storm prior to that there were no issues and there have been no new/additional devices on our end between then and now. If anything there are less now due to this issue.

Each time the DSL goes down it seems at a random time, sometimes it goes down every 5 min sometimes it stays up for hours at a time. But each time it does, the red light comes on the router and in the broadband status window it says: Line status: Down then it cycles through ACTIVATING, TRAINING and some other stuff until it goes back up. Sometimes it goes back up after 1 cycle other times it takes multiple. I am pretty sure this is not an issue of too many devices connected to the line.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

4000' is not too bad for DSL. When we had DSL the distance to the CO was a bit less than 3800' and we always had a solid 18Mbps connection. However, any moisture on the line will cause issues. Either at the MPOE, where your phone line connects to the trunk in the street or the box to the CO. AT&T actually had to come out and trench the street one time to fix the connection that was being affected by moisure. Sounds like AT&T needs to do a truck roll and check the connection from your phone box backwards to find the problem. Good luck.

At the MPOE, I connected a line direcly to the AT&T line that comes into the house and ran a dedicated cable to the room where the modem was so nothing else was connected to that line. For the inside lines, I just put the inline filter in the box to the lines that went into the house. That way all of the inside phone lines were filtered with a single filter and the dedicated line to the modem was filter-free.

• 

6 Messages

@OttoPylot

I appreciate the response.

We only use the DSL for internet no phone lines. I did ask a ticket be made to check the line, because that is what I was told on the phone. Hopefully they actually fix it and I won't have to use a hotspot for work.

Would the MPOE being connected to phone lines that aren't ultimately connected to anything cause an issue? Not sure if this is the case but it might be.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

@TonTheHungry If you're not using a landline then it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the house lines. We had a modular MPOE so in our case, all of that was very easy to do. If I wanted to disconnect the house lines, I just had to remove the RJ-9 connector from its plugin. Have you checked the MPOE to make sure that the incoming data wires look ok (no rust, wires touching each other, etc)?

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

@OttoPylot I just checked it and apparently the MPOE never connected to the phone lines anyway.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

@TonTheHungry Ok. Then you're back to making sure that the line that connects to your house line looks ok (free of rust, loose connection, wire touching, etc). Check the phone jack in the house or where you connect the modem to to make user that connection is good. After that, it's all up to AT&T to figure out where the problem lies. At the street or down the block or where ever your line connects to the terminal and off to the CO.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

@OttoPylot Will do, thanks.

Will post update if anything changes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.