Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
C

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Oct 21, 2020 5:43 PM

How to force computer to connect to AirTies?

I have AT&T Fiber. Modem/Router + AirTies. The modem/router is on the other side of the house, downstairs. The AirTies are a foot from my laptop upstairs. The laptop only connects to the router with a weak signal and is constantly having issues on Zoom meetings. How can I force my laptop to connect to the AirTies that are sitting next to me? All of my mobile devices are connected to the AirTies no problem. I've disconnected/reconnected from the network multiple times, restarted the computer, and physically turned off the modem on the laptop and back on.

HP Spectre, Windows 10

AirTies 4920

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Responses

my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.5K Messages

a month ago

Does the airtie have an ethernet port on back, that you could connect hardwired to the pc?

If not, may want to consider other wifi extender(s) or mesh system... read several reviews for best available in 2020.

Another option may be to purchase power line adapters, these require direct connection to ac outlet... cannot use an outlet strip at either location.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

Yes there is an ethernet plug on the back of the AirTies, but it's actually on the other side of the wall. I can purchase an ethernet adapter for the laptop and there is an ethernet plug in the wall of this room that I can plug into as a last resort, but would prefer the WiFi to just work as expected. Since I'm on laptop, I also move around and don't want to be limited to being stuck here because I have to plug in when I pay for WiFi hardware that's not working.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I have the same issue with our wifi extender (4921).  The extender is less than 6 feet from my desk, but my laptop connects to the main router.  I'd be happy to rename the extender signal so I can select it for connection.

Get started...

Ask a new question