Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
LAsoozq's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Jan 1, 2018 11:30 PM

How to disable the Privacy Separator function so I can connect a new wireless printer

I'm a technology dummy, please help!  I have a new Brother 8900CDW printer that won't let me go WIFI.  A manufacturer suggestion was to disable the Privacy Separator.  NO clue how to do that.

My Wireless Access Point is a VAP2500.  My Router is an ISB7500.  You'll will become my new bestest buddy if you can help me solve this!  Thanks in advance.

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

I'm a technology dummy, please help!  I have a new Brother 8900CDW printer that won't let me go WIFI.  A manufacturer suggestion was to disable the Privacy Separator.  NO clue how to do that.

I have no clue what a "privacy separator" even is either.  So a google search tuned up this discussion on a NetGear site and this on a Brother printer site.  I really don't think any of it applies to you simply trying to connect the printer.

My Wireless Access Point is a VAP2500.  My Router is an ISB7500.  You'll will become my new bestest buddy if you can help me solve this!  Thanks in advance.

The VAP2550 is the WAP only for wireless receivers.  Your ISB7500 is a dvr, not a router.  Your wifi is in your gateway (the box your dvr is wired to).  That's what your wifi devices need to "talk" to.  So if that printer is to use a wifi connection then you need to set its network settings to use the gateway's wifi ssid (name) and password.  Those are shown on a label stuck to the side of your gateway.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Okay, got it: the vertical box with the blinking lights is the important piece, thank you!  And yes, I saw that same info while doing a Google search.  I know the SSID and password info and have been trying for literally 4 hours do do this.  Sometimes I get further in the process than the last, and sometimes I go backwords.  Sometimes the software recognizes the printer, sometimes it doesn't.  I found a Brother site on-line with info to enable my firewall to accept this particular printer without losing protection and I was sure that would work.  Nope.  I've tried doing it directly from the printer keypad and also with a USB cord.  I think it's time to turn everything off, walk around the block to clear my head, and try one more time from scratch.  I may be blonde, but geez, this is frustrating!  Thank you for your response.  My deal with enabling the Privacy Separator stemmed from WHERE I'm supposed to do that.  From an AT&T site?  On the Windows7 Control Panel functions?  Is there a magic button to push somewhere that I'm just not seeing?!  (SIDE NOTE:  I replied to your response by email and THAT didn't work, either!!  Had to come back here and cut/paste.  :::Sigh:::)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

:::Curled up in a fetal position on the floor in the corner:::

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Good grief.  Before powering down the computer, I decided to check the Control Panel to see if the printer was listed.  It was, if I used the USB cord.  I attempted to print out a Word document.  It printed.  ???  All I was getting was Fail Fail Fail reports and never the warm & fuzzy "Successful Connection" sign I wanted, lol.  So I'm still looking for an answer to the WIFI question, but for now I'll use the cord and count my blessings. 

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

You mentioned using USB?  Your printer is capable of using a usb connection instead of wifi?  I would try getting that working first.  Are you sure that printer's proper drivers are installed on your computer?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm having the same trouble. Any solution?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

How to disable the privacy separator to be able to use the wireless printer. Also do I need to disconnect the USB cable for the wireless printer?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Omg I've been on the walks to clear my head after the four hour struggle you described. Found this thread while I was in fetal position. I'm also blonde .. Is there a cure?!? 

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Having the same issue. My printer says its connected to my uverse wifi but my computer cant find it. Anyone figure out a solution?

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

Go to your Settings on your printer if possible,

Then network settings.

Then Wifi setup,

Then Wifi (recommended).

It will ask you for your Wifi password and it should connect after that.

Get started...

Ask a new question