miken1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 18th, 2014 4:00 AM

How to Connect Google Chromecast to Motorola NVG589

Hi -

I was able to use Chromecast with my Motorola NVG589 router for months and now all of a sudden it does not work?

I have tried resetting the wireless connection and tried resetting router multiple times with at&t service people and still no luck.

Should I throw away my Chromecast as it seems to be worthless right now or better yet, can you tell me how to get this working again?

Thanks Mike

Scholar

• 

72 Messages

9 years ago

@miken1 wrote:

Hi -

I was able to use Chromecast with my Motorola NVG589 router for months and now all of a sudden it does not work?

I have tried resetting the wireless connection and tried resetting router multiple times with at&t service people and still no luck.

Should I throw away my Chromecast as it seems to be worthless right now or better yet, can you tell me how to get this working again?

Thanks Mike

@miken1I feel your pain!  My Chromecast has been somewhat temperamental as of late too.  In my case, it wasn't my router.  Have you tried downloading the Chromecast app from the Google Play store?  You can connect to your Chromecast with it and access the help/settings menu.  The only way I could get mine to act right was to select the option to factory reset it.  You can also use the tiny reset button on the back of the Chromecast.  After the reset, I could add it to the network and continue using it. 

Google support has additional settings to check in case the reset doesn't work.

Good luck!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hi there -  Mike here, 

Well after a bit of time online of figuring this stuff out this is what you do to get Google's Chromecast device connected to the Uverse Motorola NVG589 router.

You have to have your chromecast mac address (device's physical address). Hard to get if you cant get it connected to the problem tv to login to the app to get the address right... so plug it into another thats the only way i found it worked. WRITE DOWN THE MAC ADDRESS AND KEEP HANDY FOREVERRRRRR!!!!!!! Good for when you are on the go at hotels too!

Next step.. log into your Motorola high speed router NVG589 via typing http://192.168.1.254/ in the browser.

Then go to HOME NETWORK> MAC FILTERING then manually add your chormecast mac address then save. 

That should be it. You can go ahead and comment below how awesome this works. Sorry ATT you might delete this post as this procedure takes away from your profits of "on demand" rentals but i think it is just unfair to offer me a one time 49 dollar fee to set this up or an occuring tech service fee every month for things like this. I may not be super tech savy but I got it working. 

Have fun everyone cheers! Mike

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.