Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
L

• 

1 Message

Sun, Sep 5, 2021 4:45 AM

How do I turn off 5ghz on router

I just purchased a wyze smart plug that only uses 2.4ghz tried to connect and it would not do anything. My router is pace 5268ac. What are the steps in turning of the 5ghz

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.8K Messages

1 عام مضت

Use the browser to navigate to http://192.168.1.254 , click on Home Network, Wi-Fi, Advanced Options and either change the name of the SSID for 5 GHz, or disable it.  Your choice.

• 

3 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

I'm having the same issue you are... I have some smart bulbs that require that my cellphone operate on 2.4 and they will only connect on the same.. I've gone round and round and read every possible suggestion and tried them all with no luck. neither of the two suggestions here apply to my software gateway.. I cannot seem to turn off my cellphone's 5G and have it connect on 2.4.. Did you ever figure this out?

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.3K Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like you're talking two different things.  A cell phone's 5G connection is mobile data, from a cell tower.  That's different than the wifi 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands from your gateway.

If you need to have the cell phone connected to the 2.4GHz band on the gateway in order to configure the light bulbs then what JefferMC said about renaming the 5GHz band is one of the ways.  That way you can make the phone connect specifically to 2.4GHz like the bulbs want.

OR, you could enable the Guest Wifi network on the gateway and connect the phone and the bulbs to that. 

Edited to add.....I see you just found one of my other posts.  Hopefully those instructions will get you "lit up".  😁

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

Thanks for the reply.. yes.. I'm talking 5GH and 2.4 GH through my router.. As the original poster notes, many (if not all) smart appliances require that your cellphone (why they don't just use web apps is beyond me..) has to be on the same WiFi channel **AND** on the same 2.4 GH frequency.. AT&T routers automatically assign cellphones to 5GH.. **BUT!!!** I did come across a post that actually works ..

You have two options.....one, separate the bands to allow you to point your vacuum to the 2.4GHz band or two, set up the Guest Wifi Network which is 2.4GHz only and point the vacuum to that.

At some point during either of these operations you'll be asked for the Access Code which is found on the gateway itself.

To go with the first solution, go to http://192.168.1.254 then click the Home Network tab and then Wi-Fi.  Click the Advanced Options link in the upper left area of the page.  In the 5GHz section change the Network Name (SSID) to something else.  I usually suggest just adding a -5 onto the end of the current name.  Scroll down and hit Save.  Oh, ignore the dire warnings about the end of civilization if you change the name.

If you go this way you'll need to manually reconnect the devices you want on the 5GHz band but the 2.4GHz devices should just work, although they might require a reboot.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.3K Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

Don't remind me of how many of the IoT devices out there have the stupidest, most complicated procedures for getting them connected.  I just spent the better part of 2 days doing this exact thing because I changed routers and for reasons I won't get into I couldn't just change the new router to use my old SSID.

Out of all of my various IoT devices, only a couple actually had a way to just go into the app and say, hey, see that new SSID over there, please connect to it and here's the password. 

Yeah, the guy that wrote that post is one of the coolest guys here.  😁

• 

3 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

Yup! I have one set of fan light bulbs that used to work and just won't now.. They stopped during a power outage and I've never been able to get them back on except through the light switch. Meh!

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.