Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Nov 8, 2014 8:12 AM

How do I setup an external router AsusRT-AC68U behind Uverse and add Open DNS??

I have the Motorolla Uverse modem NVG589 box and I have seen several post on how to setup an external router.   I followed these instructions that were shown for Linksys and Asus routers.... I also added OpenDNS to the Asus DNS router fields... but after about 6 hours of this setup My Uverse TVs quit working... the STBs would not see the main Modem/Box.  THIS IS SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!  all I want to do is add OpenDNS filtering to the Uverse system and they do not support changing the DNS settings... or, no one seems to have had any success??  does anyone have any suggestions on either the 'correct' router settings AND/OR OpenDNS??  Now I have done a reset of the NVG589 and now the WiFi will not work... not happy today with Uverse... I am not having succes with rethinking possible... I'm seeing that many things on Uverse are in fact NOT possible...

Helllllllp!

Thx!!!

Responses

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

6 years ago

1. Don't connect the U-verse IPTV gear through your personal router.
  2. If you need more than 4 ports for your gear, you may use a Gigabit switch, but don't connect any of your IPTV on the same switch (i.e. tied back to the same NVG 589 port) as a wireless router or access point.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I had the TVs all connected to the NGV Uverse router directly and it still had huge issues.... that was how it was running... then it all seemed to have issues... I still had phone and internet.  NO TV.  yet now I have done a complete rollback (reset the NGV) now I have TV, phone and wired internet but no WiFi.... craaaazy!

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

6 years ago

Recount how you have the NVG and your router configured vis-a-vis each other, if you would, i.e. how are they wired, and what settings.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question