bolynn80's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 8:01 PM

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Hi Dark,

I'm trying to acomplish the same thing but I'm using a Google OnHub router... I don't see it pop up in my list of devices in Settings > Firewall > Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ despite it being plugged into the modem... I have a 5268AC.... Can I just plug it into the Modem and then shut the Wi-fi off from the modem? Will this pose any performance or stability issues with the router at all?

Thanks,

-JS

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

7 years ago

@Deltabugles

It should be on the list if it was plugged in properly. Ensure that you have it plugged into the correct ports(the WAN 'internet' port on the On Hub connected to the yellow LAN Ethernet ports on the Pace). Also try rebooting the device. Keep in mind that some devices will show up with their mac address as their name on the list. If there is no specific feature that you need on the On Hub device, then you're probably better off just turning on the On Hub's bridge mode feature, which turns on its access point mode. If you plug it into the Pace without either putting the On Hub into access point mode(Bridge Mode) or turning on DMZ+, then you may experience issues.

You can find Bridge Mode on the On Hub by following these instructions from Google

1. Open the Google On app.

2. In the ‘Overview’ screen, tap the gear icon in the upper-right corner to open the Settings menu.

3. Under the ‘Hardware’ section, select your OnHub device.

4. Tap Device mode > Bridge mode > Save.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Hi Dark,

Thanks for the reply... That would unfortunately cause me to lose the priorty feature which is a key feature I bought the OnHub for (all your internetz are belong to me). I pasted a blip of what the device might be beneath this paragrah... If it's plugged into the Modem via Ethernet, will it have that specific icon off to the left vs the blue wifi looking lines? The only other one like that is another PC I had hooked up via Ethernet earlier... Just venturing a guess.

EthernetYou have chosen unknownF4F26D4174F8

Thanks.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

7 years ago

@Deltabugles

I understand, I figured I would mention it in the case that you didn't need one of the mentioned the features(some people just buy it since its simple, haha).

It's been a while since I've had a 2Wire/Pace gateway, so I can't really say exactly about those icons. However, I did a little search and it seems like the little gray icon with three things sticking out of it(a networking icon) is related to actual devices connected by Ethernet. Don't quote me on that though. Your copy/paste did say "Ethernet" as the text versionfor whatever icon was associated with what you have posted.

As for the device you have listed, I looked up the MAC address related to what you posted. It came back as a TP-Link device. If you have the TP-Link On Hub, then that should be the device you're looking for, assuming you don't have any other TP-Link devices on your network. Your On Hub should have the MAC address listed on the bottom of the device(on the label), if you wanted to compare.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I tried from post #5.   I am using an Asus T-Mobile flavored router.   It assigns the router a 23.... IP address but I can't access it ?   

What is meant by ".Go to your internal router and force it to DHCP the WAN address." ?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

On your primary router (not the AT&T one) you can specify how it retrieves the WAN address.  You can manually enter the TCP/IP address, gateway, etc.  You can also allow it to issue an upstream request for DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) or automatic assignment of the IP address.  This is what you should use.  It will ask the AT&T router for an address for the WAN, and the AT&T router will provide it with the IP address from it's WAN port.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Thanks to @Darknessrise, @Fpuppy and all the other router tech gurus for this post.  I found it very helpful in my quest to set up a tri-band router in order to (a) get two 5.0 Ghz signals and (b) better coverage than my AT& UVerse Pace 5268AC Router, as I am limited as to the location I need to keep the Pace Router due to the rest of my UVerse connection requirements and (c) to get the best usage of my 1.0 gig internet speed.

After reading these and other posts, and since I am still a novice in the bridging a router universe, I still have a few questions to ask - if you don’t mind?

One thing I am still unclear on is that once the Pace Router is put in Bridge / DMZ+ mode, which router will be the one that allocates out the IP addresses to the various wi-fi devices?  The Pace Router still the one that issues the IP address or will it be my new 2nd tri-band router?  I assume that one should want the new tri-band router to issue out the IPs in order to get optimal performance, but not sure what is the best way for a secondary router setup.

In the Pace router, does the option under Settings >> System Info >> Event Notifications called “Router-Behind-Router Detection” need to be selected and turned on?

In addition to making sure the 2nd tri-band router’s WAN port is configured to use DHCP, does it also need to be switched into bridge mode?  Anything else to the 2nd router’s configuration that needs to be adjusted?

One thing I do want to get certainty on is that I should the Ethernet cable from one of the Yellow LAN connections on my Pace Router to the one incoming Internet / WAN port on my 2nd tri-band router and not into any of its multiple LAN ports, correct?  This way makes sense to me, but I have read conflicting posts so I want to make sure I get this step right out of the gate.

I intended to get either a Linksys EA9500 or a NetGear Nighthawk X8 tri-band router and my 2nd router if that makes any difference in the setup(s).

Appreciate all the assistance, I just want to be sure that I am thinking about the setup of the 2nd tri-band router off the PACE 5268 the correct way. 

Many thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I was able to follow these directions and end up with the results as listed. However, on my Airport Extreme, I am unable to set up any port forwarding without changing my LAN from Bridge to DHCP and NAT. As soon as I do that, the WAN connection stops working. Any ideas?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

@DaveinTX,

This reply may be too late to help you but here it is:

1. The router behind the Pace is normally the only one that will issue IP's and perform other normal router functions (this is assuming you have disabled wireless on the Pace and have nothing else plugged into its Ethernet ports except your router).  Once you have configured the Pace as we've outlined here, you can basically pretend it doesn't exist and setup your "real" router as if it were connected directly to the internet (the way you normally would if using a cable modem instead of Uverse).
  2. You don't need to change ANY other settings on the Pace other than those Dark and I have mentioned, including “Router-Behind-Router Detection”.
  3. The Pace is the router you are putting in "bridge mode"; any router behind the Pace should NOT be put in bridge mode.  Any other settings on the 2nd router are up to you and, again, it may help to pretend the Pace doesn't exist!
  4. Yes, the only Ethernet cable required is FROM one of the Pace's yellow LAN ports TO the Incoming/WAN port on your "real" router.
  5. You should be able to use any router behind the Pace without ANY change to the Pace setup we've mentioned here.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

@jpinnix, you said:

"I was able to follow these directions and end up with the results as listed. However, on my Airport Extreme, I am unable to set up any port forwarding without changing my LAN from Bridge to DHCP and NAT. As soon as I do that, the WAN connection stops working. Any ideas?"

What do you mean by "changing my LAN from Bridge to DHCP and NAT"?  If you are talking about a change on the AE, you should not have put that router in "Bridge mode".

After setting up the Pace as we've suggested and connecting all equipment, if you look at the AE interface, what IP address does it show for the WAN side?  (You don't have to tell us the whole thing, just the first 2 numbers will do!)

NOTE: if you have made other changes on the AE trying to get this to work, it may be helpful to reset it to factory defaults and retest.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.