How do I connect a router to my AT&T U-verse gateway?
Most devices are compatible with the U-verse gateway and do not require any additional steps besides connecting the devices together. If you are trying to connect your printer, you can find more here.
Connect your Device
- Connect the Ethernet cable from the internet port on your router to a yellow Ethernet port on the AT&T gateway.
- Disable the wireless on the AT&T gateway if your device is going to have a wireless broadcast, also (this will keep the 2 devices from interfering with each other). To do so, access the AT&T gateway settings by going to http://192.168.1.254. Go into the wireless settings and disable it.
- Make sure your router is not on the same subnet as the AT&T gateway. This can lead to IP address conflicts. By default, the AT&T gateway is set to 192.168.1.x.
- If you are not able to connect online, test to make sure the Ethernet connection works. Connect another device, such as a laptop, to see if that device can get online. If it can, troubleshoot your router. If not, check to make sure the Ethernet cable is good. Try a different Ethernet port.
- Remove any devices connected to your gateway and your device. Sometimes 3rd party devices cause issues with the connection. After getting everything working, connect all the devices back.
- Reboot or Reset your devices. Try rebooting the devices first. You should be able to do so by unplugging the power and plugging it back. If the reboot does not work, try resetting the devices.
- Check the site or manual for your device to see if there are any additional steps or configurations needed to connect.
- After connecting to the internet, some programs or applications may not work or may show issues and require ports to be opened.
- After opening the ports on our gateway, you will still need to open the ports on your router to that device.
- If you wish to open all the ports to your device, you can set your device in passthrough or DMZ Plus mode. Select your gateway below for instructions on how to do this:
Wonder how to change your Wi-Fi passcode? Experiencing slow speeds? Want to improve your Wi-Fi signal? Do you have other questions? Check out our intenret hub to get the answers to your questions!
David, AT&T Community Specialist
AT&T Customer Care
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp