lennymu's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, December 30th, 2011 9:12 PM

House Wiring Question

I have a CAT5 wiring setup. I currently have all the TV signals coming from the Ethernet port from the outside and the computers are hardwired through my router off of the DSL line (I think). Am I hurting my computers performance by having this setup? Would it hurt to have the data on the same switch as the TV's?

img001.jpg

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

12 years ago

The i38HG has a switch that works at 100MBPS which you are correct requires two pairs of wires to run.  Its signal into it runs on only one pair of wires which is feeding hpna from the iNID to the i38HG.  This is normal for how these systems work and is actually what hpna was designed for.  You wouldn't be getting any errors on your tvs from having an ethernet connection and the i38HG being fed from the single pair and if they are not running the i38HG on the same ethernet port it is beneficial.  Overall it looks to be a good setup.  The only time errors could come in is if you try and run tv off the i38HG because it is not designed for that.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry, can't necessarily read all the tags on your picture, but from what I can see you have at least one tv coming off the inside unit (i38HG).  The inside unit on an iNID runs off HPNA over twisted pair so if you are trying to run a tv off it and your computers it can cause errors in the data.  Generally, when installing TVs on an iNID they normally are not recommended to be installed on the inside unit and usually over coax, but it can be run on cat5.  If you want to have all cat5 wiring to all your tvs make sure they don't connect to the inside unit as it does not have the bandwidth to it to support running a tv and computers.

Hope this helps.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry for the long time getting back.

All TV's are run off of the GS105, those are connected via CAT5e to the outside ethernet port.

All data (computers) are run off of the GS108, those are connected inside off of i38HG. What has me questioning the setup; the connection from the i38HG to the iNID is only a two wire connection. I was under the assumption that a 100Mbs connection had to be 4 wires, thus me challenging the performance of the data line.

If from what I am reading from your post, I would introduce errors for the TV's if the computers were running off the GS105 also.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.