JohnFoam's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 2:32 PM

Help - Do these line stats look normal?

Hi All, 

I've been on u-verse for several years with the 25/2 profile and have been very happy with the service and stability but I'd like to get the 32/5 profile so I can get an internet package with the higher upstream speed and another HD stream.  After talking to neighbors on either side of me and looking at their linestats I think I should be within the distance for the 32/5 profile, but my line stats tell a different story.  I've read the readme for UVRT but still can't make heads or tails of the bitloading and other stats -- hoping that SomeJoe or anyone can help me analyze these...

========================================================Stats-2011-04-25-22-55-03.png

Bitloading-2011-04-25-22-55-48.png

Incase those images aren't approved yet, here's links as well:

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/JohnFoam1/?action=view&current=Bitloading-2011-04-25-22-55-48.png
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/JohnFoam1/?action=view&current=Stats-2011-04-25-22-55-03.png

========================================================

I'm not seeing any sinewave drop out patterns but it feels like the bit loading drops off very steeply compared to others I've seen.  Also, the noise margin seems low for my estimated distance I think. 

The neighbor on the side closer to the VRAD has max rates in the mid 50's with much higher noise margins and neighbor on the further side has max rates in the mid 40's and higher noise margins. 

Additional info:

I live in a neighborhood that is only about 12 years old and was "wired for lightspeed" when built back in the SBC/SNET days. 

By the tool calculuations I'm on the edge of the 25/2 profile but my service quality has been very good -- never get retrains, uncorrected blocks are never more than 1 or 2 per day (often 0), corrected blocks are usually in the 10k - 15k/day (many of which are from voltage sags when the furnace or A/C kicks on and off), and I rarely have pixelization or TV freezing issues. I had the tech and I&R out twice right after the original install to get my uncorrected and corrected blocks down  -- went from 100k / day to where it is now. 

Does anything look suspicius in my stats?  Would it be worth contacting level 2 again and have I&R come out to take another look? 

Thanks All.

P.S. SomeJoe -- very nice work on UVRT this is a very cool tool. 

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I have U200 and pay a HD fee for the HD. I haven't called Technical Support as it was my understanding 4 HD has been rolled out in all markets, I thought the 0SD/4HD profile was automatically provided without having to request it.

To this lay person it does look like the line would support 4 HD streams, however I wanted to get other Subs opinions before contacting U-verse.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Those stats indicate that you are on the wrong profile and there are other issues with your service.  You should call ts and request a tech be sent out to check your service.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@RCSMG wrote:

Those stats indicate that you are on the wrong profile and there are other issues with your service.  You should call ts and request a tech be sent out to check your service.

His line can handle the higher profile, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it and he doesn't need a tech.

He jsut needs to call tech support and request the higher profile.  If they won't do it or don't know how, then contact David.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I gave tech support a call and they scheduled a tech to come to my home tomorrow to verify the line can handle the higher profile. The tech support did a test of the line while I was on line with them and stated my line is 2250' from the VRAD. According to tech support, the cutoff for 32/5 profile is 2200' , thus the reason for the verification.

Thanks, for the insights, I will post the outcome.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

It's true, the line can handle 32/5, but just barely. If they do switch you, be watchful for pixelation, freezing, or retrains/resets. If you start to get those symptoms, you will have to go back down to 25/2.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I do not have U-verse internet or phone, strictly TV only.  My understanding is the upload bandwith of 5kbs can be lowered below the 5 kbs spec.   If this is true, than hopefully this will provide the line more available bandwith.  

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, upload can ride lower than 5K in your case, but the download is actually the concern, there is only barely enough room to carry 32Mbps down, regardless of how much of a reduction in upload might be acceptable.

In addition, the equipment is not meant to run with either the upload or download user bandwidth below the assigned profile rate, and doing that can cause other problems.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I am thinking maybe better to leave well enough alone and not go for the 4 HD streams.  I mistook the "recommended profile" on UVRT as the preferred profile to use; not realizing the line would be maxed out.  I don't want to have problems in a few months due to weather conditions reducing the line's capacity and I have frozen pics. 

Will see what the tech as to say about reliability, etc.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I decided not to get the 32/5 profile and cancelled the tech appointment.  One of the overriding reasons is I have had zero problems with the 25/2 profile.  Knowing I am beyond AT&T's distance recommendation and the higher profile would put my line at its limit, I don't want future problems for the few times I might need 4 HD streams.  Reliability of the service is number one for me. Fortunately I have OTA for the local channels and they should cover the occasional simultaneous sporting event broadcast where the 4HD profile would be of benefit.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.