AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
mlgallion1's profile

• 

1 Message

Thu, Sep 22, 2022 3:30 PM

Hardwire connection needed downstairs

My wife's job require she have a hardwire connection to work from. We don't have one downstairs and need one for her to do her work. We have one upstairs but wondered how hard it would be to connect one to an outlet downstairs.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

8.6K Messages

3 months ago

Your question is sorta like asking how long is a road.

Depending on your DIY skills and tools and the layout of your home, it might be as simple as drilling a hole and feeding an Ethernet cable or it may require someone who does this sort of work for a living (Google "low voltage wiring contractors near me").

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

3 months ago

@mlgallion1 , @tonydi is spot on. I hired an LV electrician to run solid copper core CAT-6 to some rooms in my house so I could hardwire devices (home theater, mesh WiFi satellites) to the router downstairs. Given that the house is 2-story, and I was looking at upstairs rooms on both ends of the house from the router downstairs, I decided to hire a professional. Connecting the wall plate to an 8-port gigabit switch gives you the opportunity to hard wire more than one device.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.