K4DL's profile

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 5th, 2022 1:15 PM

Fixed wireless losing connection/rebooting when I use my ham radio

My device seems to lose connection and go through the reboot process every time I talk on 3.965 Mhz. It is the only thing in my home what has any issue when I transmit. I have the station well grounded and have also grounded the ATT box and added ferrite snap on chokes on every wire entering the box. I can get by with low power but if I step it up the box loses connection and seems to be rebooting. I am just having to turn it off while I am on my radio which is not a good thing since I depend on an internet connection while on the radio for logging and other things. I am having to use a cell phone as a hot spot in the radio room to my lap top as the ATT Fixed Wireless is useless at that point. 

I had the hard wired internet but the speeds where I live are so slow that they do not meet our needs. I had to switch to the Fixed product to get my speed up. Any suggestion on how to fix the problem would be helpful. Otherwise, I will be forced to look for other options for internet service.

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

Same issue here with ATT fixed wireless and my ham station, though my problem is with 20m CW and not 80m phone. Tried the same split ferrite fixes everywhere. Used Mix 31 ferrites. No joy. What I noticed was the power LED on the POE injector pulsing with my CW keying on 20m. I also heard a clicking coming from the POE injector, in sync with my keying, almost as if my keying was causing a relay to cycle inside the injector. When I stopped keying, the pulsing and clicking stopped. However, this must have interrupted the flow of DC power to the antenna, because the modem dropped offline and then reconnected after about 2-3 minutes. Both the ATT modem and the POE injector are in the same room as my ham equipment. I had none of these issues with a previous wireless internet setup with that equipment also being in the radio room. However, with the previous system, both the 2.4 GHz transceiver and the modem were located at the feedpoint of the half-meter diameter diameter dish on the roof and only the POE injector was in the shack. I changed to the ATT system because of poor performance of the previous system after 7 years of very good service. (That ISP oversubscribed the backhaul link on the tower and had reliability issues with the access point transceivers.) The ATT fixed wireless system is a huge improvement, but this RFI problem is really disappointing. I did a little troubleshooting after noticing the issues with the POE injector and what I found is that RFI is entering the injector via the cat5 cable that goes to the outdoor antenna. So, I am in the process of relocating the injector to the attic to shorten the cable to the antenna and get the injector out of the shack. We'll see if this solves the problem. More to come. N1OKL (You can reach me via QRZ.com and we can correspond directly if you like on this issue.)  

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

UPDATE from N1OKL -- I moved the POE injector from the radio room to the attic. I also moved the cat5 cable from the ATT antenna so that it enters the attic via the ridge vent, which shortened this cable to about 10 ft. This configuration change eliminate the RFI problem in the POE injector when transmitting at 100w on the 20m band. However, when using 200w, the problem remains, as before. For now, I can live with this, though it is not a long-term solution. My sense is that the ATT Model POER0-35 Antenna Power Supply has no RF immunity provisions in its circuitry. This is something ATT engineering should address as it renders the ATT Fixed Wireless Antenna system non-compliant to FCC Part 15 regulations for unlicensed transmitters.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.