Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
C

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Jan 11, 2020 3:03 AM

Fixed Wireless High Packet Loss

We've had AT&T's Fixed Wireless internet service for about 7 months now and haven't had any issues up until this week. But our internet packet loss has been stuck between 40-55% for about 4 days now. Speed tests show our download speed to be ~60 Mbps and upload ~10 Mbps, but the packet loss makes the internet almost unusable. I've tried AT&T's troubleshooting tool several times, checked all of the wires & outdoor antenna, restarted the whole system, and tested devices that are connected directly into the router with no luck. Any suggestions?

Responses

tmac47

• 

21 Messages

10 months ago

Good god.

I spent all of Dec - Feb with horrible fixed wireless issues, which they seemed to fix at the beginning of March. Now, here I am again three weeks later with the same issues.

I'm in GA with 30 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up and I can't play online video games, stream media, or access websites on the first, second, or third try. What am I even paying for!?

tmac47

• 

21 Messages

So, embarrassing:

Starstruck

• 

55 Messages

I hear ya.

I was back to being close to normal, performance wise, earlier this month, (still had issues, just not as often), and now its complete garbage/useless again.

Whats "funny" is I missed a call from the office of the president just yesterday evening, and on the voicemail that was left, he said the problem has been fixed and everything should be fine now. Really? It sure as (Edited per community guidelines) isn't here in northern lower Michigan. I haven't been able to use it at all since Thursday, and I was averaging about 85% packet loss prior. Sometimes my email will load, but that's about it. If not for my phone, I'd be completely offline basically. Not good given the current global situation, let alone my state/country.

Looks like I'll be calling said office first thing Monday morning. Again.

Stay safe everyone!

(edited)

Starstruck

• 

55 Messages

Wanted to add some info just to see if anyone else caught this with their connection....

When mine was working better, I noticed that I had a "medium" NAT on my xbox, which never happened before, and that when I would run the ookla speedtest, my server location was much closer to home....Illinois, Ohio or even downstate from me. Once it started to crap out again, the "strict" NAT returned, and location went back to being Kansas or Alabama region all the time.

I don't know if that has
anything to do with the problem or not though, but am curious.
cdjohnson

• 

69 Messages

I'm back to the "improved" internet quality. Kinda like what I had a month ago.... Still takes a dump around 9-9:30pm then after an hour or 2, quality goes back to 100%.

Kinda scared to restart my equipment again. Don't want to lose what I got for an hour or two of down time...

• 

14 Messages

I’m in Louisiana and mine is the worst it has ever been. I also got a call from the Office of the President that a supposed fix had been implemented. They sent a tech out (again) on yesterday. He replaced my antenna. Now my upload speeds are ranging .01-.50. Absolutely awful. Packet loss is anywhere from 20-99%. I’ve never had issues with my upload speed until now, it was just the packet loss issue.

jscris

• 

22 Messages

@Rbeasley3 Fix supposed to be implemented in Arkansas, too. I've had bad upload speed most of the time for months. A few minutes ago it was 0.51. The only thing that MAY have improved is the ping speed. Other than that it's the same or sometimes worse.

Just now:

• 

3 Messages

I’ve been on this struggle bus for months as well. At the beginning of March for the first time in 6 months no packet loss. Me and my friend that live within a mile of each other were ecstatic. Now it’s back to where it was packet loss that makes the service almost useless I haven’t contacted the company since it started good again a few weeks ago. Debating to call again but I’m not sure if all the hours of bill are worth it. I’m praying that some other service that you can run games on comes out near me in West Ky because this is awful.

• 

14 Messages

So, it seems the packet loss issue may be a little better for me. BUT, now my upload speeds are ranging 0-.25! Absolutely awful! I have had a tech here weekly for the last three weeks. Is anyone else experiencing crappy upload speeds?? Mine seems to get worse by the week.

(edited)

jscris

• 

22 Messages

Lack of usable upload speed has been a problem for a while. The only thing that may have improved is ping. The rest if awful. This is Arkansas where the "fix" has supposedly been applied.

• 

14 Messages

I wish they would get this figured out, esp at a time when so many people are depending on decent internet in order to work from home. The FCC emailed me this morning stating that AT&T had requested another 14 day extension 😠

Terreb

Contributor

• 

97 Messages

Having the same issue in the "fixed" Louisiana

• 

3 Messages

just filled a complaint with the FCC

Have you guys had any luck with that?

• 

143 Messages

@GriggSwigg Yes, some of us have filed multiple FCC complaints because this has been going on since mid-December 2019. The issue is still largely unfixed and the FCC have given AT&T multiple 14-day extensions to solve the problem.

AT&T will no doubt use COVID-19 as an excuse not to fix it. Tthey were never going to fix it but they will still say this is the reason because the coronavirus pandemic will be used as a convenient scapegoat for a lot of problems/poor service that existed prior to it but that's another topic.

. Also given who is head of the FCC and his stance on net neutrality and other things, I think you are wasting your time.

To be fair to AT&T, there is now a larger strain on the network with more people at home so the networks are going to be more congested and this will cause problems. That is an inescapable reality and will probably be the case for the next several months.

(edited)

• 

216 Messages

Ya mine was supposed to be fix was good for almost 2 weeks now it's back sigh.

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

I am in Hayden, Alabama and have extremely high packet loss. Speed test still show roughly 60X10, but it takes 10 mins to download an app on apple app store. And streaming from iTunes is impossible!!!
Any idea how to fix this?

• 

6 Messages

AT&T's regular cell network isn't half bad either. I still use my Nighthawk mifi most of the time since Fixed Wireless is so badly broken. It connects to the same AT&T tower,

just on a different band. It slows down during busy times of day, as is expected, but not to the point of unusability, and most importantly there is no packet loss on that network.

jscris

• 

22 Messages

Arkansas. Still not fixed.

• 

6 Messages

9 months ago

New Fixed Wireless customer here (Mississippi). Sure wish I had seen this thread before signing up.

I'm seeing similar problems as most here. I have a solid connection to the tower a little over a mile away. At 6am I can get 40 Mbps or more, which steadily drops as the day goes on to sub-1 Mbps in evening prime time, and the packet loss goes from 1-2% in early morning to around 30% in prime time. This pattern has been very consistent.

The crazy thing, as some here have noticed, is that port 80 (HTTP) traffic is not affected at all. I can get 40+ Mbps downloads on port 80 all day long. I've also confirmed that port 8080 is not affected. Traffic on ports 443 (HTTPS), 22, and 9090 suffer the severe degradation, regardless of protocol. I've not tested any others.

AT&T's speed test uses port 80. Ookla seems to use 8080. That's why those paint a rosy picture while most of the Web runs on 443 and is struggling.

Fast.com, Testmy.net, and others that use 443 give us a more accurate assessment of the situation, and it's not pretty.

The performance on 80 & 8080 shows how good this service COULD be. I hope they haven't decided to just let it rot and cede the rural market to Starlink et al.

• 

216 Messages

Here we go again back to the way it was I knew it was to good to be true almost 2wk they changed gateways on me again wish they would leave it alone right after they closed my fcc complaint once again for the 3rd time. Guess I have to open another one.

• 

216 Messages

Called tech support last night told them what's going on she said well that new fix has been applied to you area you shouldn't have any problems and I said I wouldn't be calling if I didn't now were starting with the tech thing again. I was like the equipment is fine you keep taking me off the network I'm supposed to be connected to a tech cant fix that it's a core problem again everytime they close my FCC complaint they wait for 10 days and pull the old switcher roo on me guess I'm going to have to open it again which I prefer not to so fuming mad anyone in Texas having same problems past 2 days? Just curious.

• 

5 Messages

@unleadedgass I filed an FCC complaint last night

cdjohnson

• 

69 Messages

At&t president office just called, unfortunately I missed it. Hopefully I can get some answers when she calls back...
lottytx

Teacher

• 

70 Messages

they called me 2 weeks ago .. back and forth 3 days .. at least i could understand her when she told me nothing would change. Kathy at the office of the president .. she had a tone ... sort of ... i do this call 20x per day ... part bored part scarcastic

• 

6 Messages

Anyone else notice a difference today? Here, latency on ICMP pings is running about 30 ms higher than it has been, with spikes well up into triple digits, but I'm seeing no packet loss at all. Granted, it's early, but sure looks like something changed.

• 

10 Messages

@RR562 I have, but not for the better. Packet loss has been worse earlier in the day for most of this week. Used to be OK til mid afternoon, but now I can barely stay connected to anything. Add to that the 10-15min 100% outages and I'm having issues getting any work done.

Things were better for a little while about a month ago, but have gotten progressively worse. I regret trading my DSL line for this. It may have been slow, but it worked. At this point I'm just waiting for Starlink or Verizon's 5G home service to be available.

(edited)

• 

6 Messages

Well, something is up, its 4 PM and still getting 35 Mbps down and zero packet loss. This is the first day since installation that it hasn't completely gone to pot by mid-afternoon. I probably shouldn't expect this to last.

And yeah, here's to Starlink bringing some much needed disruption to this industry. If 5G ever makes it out here to the sticks it'll be a while.

• 

5 Messages

@RR562

You right. Fingers crossed, they fixed it.

• 

5 Messages

@kbs1228 download has slowed some, but latency good and no packet loss. If it stays here, I'm happy

rose2192

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

So my packet loss issue is gone but I've lost serious download and upload speeds. I went from 40-50 down and 3-6 up to 15-18 down and I'm lucky if I stay around 1 up.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

9 months ago

Add me to the list of Mississippi customers experiencing high packet loss, 50%+. It works pretty well from 6 am until about noon, averaging 20 mbps down and 4 mbps up. After noon/night, packet loss goes above 50% and it is unbearably slow. There is no explanation other than network congestion.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

9 months ago

Right back to how it was months ago it seems.

Just two days ago my service was amazing, I was able to game, stream, and do just about anything with zero issues.

Yesterday, I get up, try connecting to my router, and I notice it’s taking a while, it eventually disconnects, and I immediately know it’s back to being awful...

Since then, I haven’t even been able to stay connected to my router without an ethernet, signal keeps dropping, packet loss through the roof, and once again, a service that doesn’t even compete with DSL.

Very nice guys, you aren’t the 9th richest company in the world for nothing, but you sure act like you just started offering this service yesterday...

jscris

• 

22 Messages

"Fixed" Arkansas:

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

@jscris Oh yeah, definitely fixed here too LOL.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 months ago

As of yesterday 4/11/20 the packet loss problem as stopped. I was at 65 - 80 ms response with 20 - 50% packet loss over 10 minutes. Now currently at 42 - 55 ms with 0 packet loss. At least they are trying to fix it. Keep posting your problems and let them know.

cdjohnson

• 

69 Messages

As of right now, I'll have no packet loss one minute, then 100% packetloss the next. It'll be all good then the bottom falls out from under it. Up down, up down.

What state are y'all from that are experiencing the fix?

The only thing I've noticed here in West Georgia, instead of constant 25-50% packet loss, I'll get hit with 80-100% packet loss all at once. Pings spiking in the 600s. Speed tests are fine.

• 

6 Messages

SE Mississippi here. Packet loss has been gone since Friday, at least while I've checked. Good numbers on the HTTPS-based speed tests. Ping times are higher than before the fix but I'll gladly accept that.

--- google.com ping statistics ---

100 packets transmitted, 100 received, 0% packet loss, time 99132ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 80.412/90.232/105.592/5.972 ms

cdjohnson

• 

69 Messages

Giving me hope!

• 

3 Messages

fixed wireless is working how it should for now...

haven’t had packet loss for a little less then a week

I just hope this lasts

cdjohnson

• 

69 Messages

Ok. Just got off the phone with the presidents office. Really nice lady.

She said Florida, Georgia, and Kentucky are scheduled for updates this Friday. She will call me back either later today or tomorrow to confirm that information.

***She used the words: area(s), part(s) and region(s)***

She acknowledged it was a problem and they're working to fix it. She also implied it's more an isolated problem affecting only a certain number of customers rather than the whole network.

We shall see.... Don't shoot the messenger.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

I live in south Mississippi in Jackson County and still no packet loss fix here. I'm still getting 30% or higher loss.
jscris

• 

22 Messages

If this is fixed they've apparently given up. Arkansas this morning.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

reporting from KY. Had this issue last year with my sim hotspot, now it’s back. It’s only been during heavy storms so far, but still annoying. Speeds are fine but ping is 150-1000000000000.

• 

216 Messages

Y'all still having problems 2wks ago my ping was 58 to 62ms a week from that 68ms to 75ms this week 75ms to 135ms its starting to climb again had a tech come out said signals fine told him it's not the equipment he agreed with me. Its starting to break again sigh.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

i think it’s upload speed related maybe. That’s what my issue was last night at least

jscris

• 

22 Messages

Worse than ever here in Arkansas. Unusable most of the time. Upload speed less than 0.10. Has it been fixed anywhere?

• 

7 Messages

8 months ago

Did they tell you how close you are to the tower? My fixed wireless is all kinds of trouble and they say that there is nothing that they can do about it because it is a line of sight problem. Only 2 miles from the tower which is supposed to have a reach of about 4 miles. Last guy said that a hill was in the way. Mine goes out whenever it wants, could be hours, could be days. Mostly when it rains but sunny days too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Luckily it's working right now but...

(edited)

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

I have been a part of the FWI Sales Team for about a full year now, and I can say that the packet loss seems to be a bigger issue than AT&T originally thought. We are currently looking into fixing this for a majority of consumers, and deeply apologize for the inconvenience. As a gamer myself, I understand fully packet loss, it's the worst when you're playing a multiplayer game like LOL, etc. and your packets start dropping and the lag kicks in, so I've been trying to push AT&T to understand this is a very serious problem for lots of customers.

• 

3 Messages

For anyone who reported issues with Fixed Wireless in this thread, I would appreciate any responses on if the service is now working ok.  Or did everyone just give up?  We tried the service in February but quickly cancelled due to the issues experienced.  I would be willing to try it again if the service is now working.   Now our rock solid Vzw service has started tanking since last week and we are trying to work from home.  Any feedback would be much appreciated!

• 

14 Messages

a month ago

My packet loss issue seems to be back!!!  Anyone else??

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

a month ago

Mine was last month, but it's back to normal now.

• 

14 Messages

a month ago

I hope mine starts working right again soon. So frustrating when trying to work from home. 

• 

7 Messages

a month ago

Mine started acting up yesterday or day before and still doing it.

cdjohnson

• 

69 Messages

a month ago

Mine has been normal ever since the fix. Try and get another IP by turning off your antenna for 5 mins and turning back on then restart your router. I know it sounds like a typical AT&T script but every time I start having issues or my ping is wacko, I just reboot the whole system and it's fine again.

• 

14 Messages

a month ago

I will definitely give it a try!  Thank you!

Get started...

Ask a new question