C

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, January 11th, 2020 3:03 AM

Fixed Wireless High Packet Loss

We've had AT&T's Fixed Wireless internet service for about 7 months now and haven't had any issues up until this week. But our internet packet loss has been stuck between 40-55% for about 4 days now. Speed tests show our download speed to be ~60 Mbps and upload ~10 Mbps, but the packet loss makes the internet almost unusable. I've tried AT&T's troubleshooting tool several times, checked all of the wires & outdoor antenna, restarted the whole system, and tested devices that are connected directly into the router with no luck. Any suggestions?

Tutor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

This is definitely a routing issue at AT&T somewhere. 10 PM Monday...

• 

143 Messages

4 years ago

I compiled a list of all of us who are having this problem just on this forum in case some other wise guy barges in saying it's "just a handful of us." I was tempted to add Trudat556 for laughs.

This list has 63 names so I guarantee you there are more than "200" having this problem.

cayne

malleable_malus

KP45697

ZCurtis8920

unleadedgass

tbarcellona

dusty1usa

perkins.j.88

dannymc95

katizimi

reddirtranch

eonblue54

chrisd333

meeps

bamashooter

netless

terreb

connectionless_in_bfe

twright33

erin30

captaingumby

dennisharrison

ethangraham

john9999

sprunts95

tmac47

starstruck

lottytx

swamproots

cdjohnson

chydaisy

digpatche

smok3ybull3t

lbarnes13601

rubb3r

rtd2

dkresge

markus_r

espespesp

jeniferpace

captain318

rose2192

cole8767

heyjero

johnnienewell

pageorge

mcjosephson

kf68

user2112020

pgerald36

TinGA

chris_odom

BadInnernet

Agburnsky

sethm

robjderr

dieharddan

Elisa1276

Snowydays

ohio_guy

jscris

pastortim

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

@malleable_malus I think it's become pretty clear that this is a widespread issue across the nation for AT&T Fixed Wireless customers. There are 50+ people that have arrived at this thread, and I believe we've all come from a similar path to reach it:

(1.) actually realizing there was a sudden & major change to the quality and consistency of the service around Dec 2019

(2.) went through the motions with AT&T customer service/technicians/etc to attempt to fix the issue

(3.) began searching online for a solution or to narrow down the possibility of it being a "it's on your side" problem

With that in mind, think about how many customers didn't even reach step 1 or 2 of that process. I'd be willing to wager it's much more than just the people commenting here given the fact that most people probably wouldn't even notice or bother and assume that's just how it will be from now on.

Hopefully our effort will eventually get this solved for everyone, so keep it up guys. All we want is the Fixed Wireless internet service we had prior to the change that occurred in December 2019. It's certainly not impossible to fix.

• 

11 Messages

The one thing I picked up on keeping an eye on it the past few days is this:

When I'm gaming, the packet loss, etc, is pretty much non-existent between like 9AM-2-3PM (Most of the time), during 4 to 5PM until 11:30PM or so, it's pretty terrible. Close to around 12AM up until I go to bed, it's pretty much working flawless. This pattern has been pretty consistent and not much in the way of it being random. However, tonight my modem has been going in and out as if service is being worked on (but that's hoping for too much at this point). So we'll see how long this keeps going.

@malleable_malus I'm also honored you didn't leave out my name on the list. :p

(edited)

Teacher

• 

74 Messages

@espespesp great summary.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

You can add my name to your list. Same symptom as everyone else. My neighbor also has the problem, our best speeds are in the 25-30 download range, which works fine except when we start getting these horrible packet losses.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

97 Messages

Hopefully more people see this thread and can add to the list

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

Well add my name to the list, had the service from the start in 2017 speeds have gone from 45/10 to 8/3 and my web page loading times are horrible. Ive been through all channels several times with techs that are as lost as I am. I have, like others here, been escalated to the catch basin that is labeled the office of the president without any concrete solutions. I have also been told a similar line from Cole8767 recently.

I dont remember the exact words used but it was something like this is an isolated group of customers (No number was given) and there not necessarily related because it is so spread out.

At this point I am almost ready to throw in the towel and consider it a lesson learned short of considering this service just part-time internet

• 

143 Messages

@BadInnernet An "isolated group of customers" across Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan.

They were straight up lying to you.

• 

143 Messages

@BadInnernet Also we have 55 people posting here and there will surely be more in the future.

Think about how many have not found this forum that are having this problem.

Think about how many are less knowledgeable about this and don't even know they are not getting what they pay for.

They think rural customers don't deserve better service because we are ignorant and/or know we have no alternative.

Teacher

• 

74 Messages

surprised if even 1% of all customers aware there is a user forum.

With that said AT&T could easily provide an exact metric. AT&T could also cross reference against logs of packet loss.

• 

217 Messages

Arkansas

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Add me to the list. Starting in December I've had annoying packet loss during the morning and terrible packet loss during afternoons and evenings. I use my internet for streaming (Netflix, etc), web browsing, and online gaming and all of them have suffered significantly. Streaming is spotty, web browsing slow, and gaming impossible. I'm having a technician come out this week but I know he's just going to give me the runaround. I intend on showing him my PingPlotter data that shows I'm averaging at about 30% packet loss most of the time.

What a waste. I was all for recommending AT&T's fixed wireless to people in my situation, and did on multiple occasions, but now its as much of a waste of money as garbage satellite internet. If they don't fix this soon, I'm done with AT&T forever.

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Got this reply from AT&T:

This is regarding the FCC complaint AT&T received associated with Fixed Wireless Internet.

AT&T determined there is a known issue with AT&T's network. Technician visits are not being scheduled because it will not resolve the problem. A fix is underway but there is no estimated repair date.

To determine if the fix resolved your issue, please power cycle your outdoor antenna power supply. If you have questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

C*** D***

Office of the President

Manager

AT&T Services, Inc.

• 

5 Messages

@robjderr Well, it's definitely not been fixed since I still have at least 30% packet loss almost constantly.

When did you receive that reply? Hopefully this means they're working on it? Or maybe I'm just naive / desperate.

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

@sethm I received the message on the 18th. It says there is a known issue and there is "A fix is underway but there is no estimated repair date."

Contributor

• 

97 Messages

I got a call and they told me to power cycle the antenna and let them know if it worked tomorrow (since it was in the morning)

• 

143 Messages

@robjderr So they admit there is a problem. This is proof to anyone saying it's just "on our end" or it's an "isolated group" of us.

Now no one can say the problem lies with us and our service has suffered for an extended period of time (2 months) and we should at least get partial credit for these months.

Whether the statement in that e-mail is truthful and is just to get us to keep quiet, it doesn't matter.

• 

143 Messages

@malleable_malus I can't edit some of my posts anymore, but I wanted to add:

They are now on record saying we are not getting what we pay for.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Another kentuckian here. I just got this service 3 weeks ago and it seemed like a blessing. After a week we started noticing live packet loss being displayed on the online game we were playing. It ranges between 25-40% during as everyone has described "peak hours". Called AT&T and got an escalation ticket to check the tower. Glad I stumbled on this forum to validate my paranoia and have ammo for when they gaslight me.

Tutor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

Ladies and gents, I have to give credit where it's due... Yesterday and today it seems my service has been returned to normal for the first time in weeks! Let's hope others are seeing improvement as well...

• 

70 Messages

I also saw an improvement last night. 6pm-10:30pm near perfect.... Not jumping for joy yet... I have to see it continue and see it on the weekends before I call it fixed.

• 

217 Messages

I'll have to try it later today to see Im using it now and games at 75ms a little higher then normal but will see tonight wife said her game loaded fast this morning when it didn't yesterday morning will report back later tonight.

• 

9 Messages

[eth0] is my WISP, [eth1] is AT&T. 8.8.8.8 has always manifested early loss for me and is much better today. Fingers crossed that 16:00 EST brings more of the same for my other endpoints. And then the question becomes "will it last?" -- sure would be nice if we'd get a post-mortem.

Contributor

• 

97 Messages

4 years ago

Right now for me it's doing better but still inconsistent

• 

15 Messages

it was working good up until 4pm and now it is acting silly, have you guys ran a test?

Contributor

• 

97 Messages

Just ran a test on my xbox, back to the usual problems

• 

20 Messages

still 40% lost for me, not really seeing much change.

Edit: actually worse for me currently, also have a question, how many of you recieved communication regarding yesterdays supposed fix? I have an open fcc complaint and haven’t heard a peep from At&t regarding the supposed fix in progress.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

23 Messages

Same for me, though it was pretty good last night. I'm showing serious packet loss tonight though. Sometimes I flat out error out on the 100% packet loss towers. And I error out at google.

• 

217 Messages

The FCC notified me today that att asked for a 14 day extension so they gave it to them.im about ready to sit down and see how it is for myself though y'all would be interested in that update will report back in a few.

• 

82 Messages

4 years ago

So far so good here today (Beaumont, MS).

Less than 1% packetloss via TCP to 5 servers via iperf3 defaults - every 30 minutes.

100% of DNS queries against resolver1.opendns.com (208.67.222.222) returned in less than 125ms - every 5 minutes.

My upload speeds are all over the place though - 13ish to AT&T Wireless Houston, and Spectrum Slidell, 2.5ish to most everywhere else (including AT&T fiber in the FL panhandle). Odd. But I can live with 2.5Mbp/s upload per connection.

Working on stuffing all this info into graphite/grafana running in a docker image so you guys can snag that and automate your own testing. You'll only be able to hit 2 of the iperf servers but can easily setup your own and change timers from a config file.

HOPEFULLY, this is the new trend for this connection - if so, I'll be a happy guy!

Will check back in tomorrow with any more info.

• 

217 Messages

Downloads not bad on my game it's the upload but atleast I can play for the past hour without being disconnected. Download side staying at 73ms upload is from 145 to 400ms they must be getting closer but not quite there yet. But it's an improvement. I'll check packet loss and report.

• 

11 Messages

Once it hit about 8PM Est, my connection has went downhill from there. But I managed to go all day without any packet loss, or anything, so that's a start at least.

• 

217 Messages

7pm here I knew I should of not said anything by they time I got back to my computer it went south any where from 20 to 50% packet loss.

• 

217 Messages

Just got kicked off ;( done for the night.

• 

70 Messages

Averaged around 7% packet loss (4-8:45pm) I would have spikes to 23%, but so far it seems "ok".. Not great... Not good.. Just Ok... Loaded up my racing sim and the connection was.... doable.... So I do believe that at&t is working on it... At least I can work and my wife can have her facebook without the hotspot.

We'll shall see if progress is truly being made this weekend...

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We also have issues about an hour north of Dayton, OH. We installed it a few weeks ago and it has been terrible. It's definitely a fixed wireless issue as we had the ATT Homebase running in parallel at our house and that service was excellent as usual. I was told it runs off the same towers...so it's definitely not a "signal" or "peak demand" issue. I finally called for support yesterday and she confirmed that their is an issue in our "area". I asked her how big the "area" was and she evaded the question. As others stated previously...I"m sure it it is a lot more than 200 people. She also stated that their was NO estimated time for completion but that they have a highly skilled crew working on the issue.

(edited)

• 

23 Messages

Have been having the same problem in Arkansas for weeks. Sometimes upload starts out about 1.5 or 2 Mbps and then drops to practically nothing. I have a Sprint hotspot I was just about to cancel. Glad I didn't. The fixed wireless was great the first year or so. Since yesterday I've had periods where the upload stayed fairly steady but it's quite bad again tonight.

• 

15 Messages

It’s 8:30 rn and the packetloss is high once again. I seen some improvements today but nope still the same stuff..

• 

217 Messages

Same here no change at this time.

• 

12 Messages

We'll see if tomorrow is a fluke.

• 

23 Messages

Chat this morning "checked the team" and said it would be next week and they would let me know when it was fixed with an email. And that it wouldn't happen again. lol

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.