TJ_5310's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, August 9th, 2015 10:03 PM

DSL Modem keeps resetting.

My DSL Modem resets when:

1. Devices connect to the wifi (And no devices be on the wifi)

2. When I browse the internet (With only one device on the internet)

3. When multiple devices are on the wifi it just goes out constanly.

4. When playing on my console it disconnects when only the console is connected.

This problem has been going on for like two or three years and everytime that I contact at&t they just bring a guy who gives me a new modem and the modem does the exact same thing.

If problem continues I may have to switch to a different ISP

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@TJ_5310

What is the modem model you're currently using?

Have you tried another power outlet in the house? Take it off/put it onto a surge protector if you can? I'm curious if this is a power issue that you have.

When you say that it's resetting, is it doing a full reboot or is just the connection resetting?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

The Modem is a westell modem with a model number of F90-610025-06.

And when it resets all the lights go off and then they turn on one at a time, and sometimes just the interent light goes off.

I've also tried a different power outlet but it still keeps resetting.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@TJ_5310

If you went through multiple modem and it's still occuring, it might just be some dirty power you have. Many things can cause a problem with that and it's pretty hard to isolate the problem.

However, as a test, have you tried purchasing a gateway other than those and tried how it worked?

An example of a DSL gateway you can purchase is here -

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Modem-Router-TEW-722BRM/dp/B00MPDOTS4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1439432605&sr=8-11&keywords=ADSL2%2B

An official AT&T alternative to that is the Netgear 7550 -

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5520229&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm having the same issue but mine has only last a few days.  I'll be streaming Netflix on my Roku and working from home and the connection gets lost.

I tried hooking up a personal wireless router instead of the AT&T one and it only worked last night.  It wouldn't connect to the internet this morning.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

With u-verse, you have to use a modem/gateway provided by att,  but with dsl, if the att's provided modem gives you trouble, you can provide your own modem.

Personally, I use the RPlink TD-8616 on my dsl connection and it works wonderfully. (Pl;us, I got it for only 24 dollars which was a BIG plus.)

You can hool a wi-fi router into it, if you need wi-fi, but it does not have a built in wi-fi, so random wi-fi connects can't happen.

It is pretty simple, so less to fail.. what it does, it does well.

Only a sugestion, but why have more moden than you need, expecially if it malfunctions.

My two cents worth, kjeep the change.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.