GGBMichigan's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, August 29th, 2018 9:56 PM

DNS server error on HP Desktop

Yesterday my HP Desktop running Windows 10 was turned on and failed to connect to WI-FI. It had been working fine up that point in time. The internet connection shows on the task bar and Network shows as connected and secured HOWEVER  browsers return a "DNS server isn't responding error." 

Spent several hours trying fixes on YouTube including various Command Prompt instructions. Restarted the Homebase modem and checked for software updates. Have explored every DNS option offered for connection properties. 

How do I get Homebase and the PC to open a DNS server connection?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Why not just switch to using a different DNS which you set in each device's network settings?  Two suggested DNSs are OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) or google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your assistance

Tried 8.8.8.8 and backup 8.8.4.4 several times during my YouTube "How to
fix DNS" videos and was unsuccessful.

Used your suggested OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) was
successful in opening a wireless connection. Tested browsers and neither
connected.
Restarted PC. Wireless connection on task bar does not have the yellow
triangle, however neither IE Explorer or Chrome browser will connect

The Wi-Fi connection continues to show the OpenDNS connection. TCPIP/4 is
set for automatic IP

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Does your network settings have a place to set to use DHCP and renewing the DHCP lease?

I don't know what else windows needs (I don't do windows).  Theoretically I would think internet access should be working after setting up the DNS properly, which would of course include browsers.

Note I also don't know why you would have gotten different behavior when using OpenDNS or google DNS.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.