For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
abiandray's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 4:58 PM

DNS Errors

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues with DNS and their AT&T service?  This morning all devices in my house stopped being able to browse the internet.  Cell phones on Wi-Fi said there was an issue with the internet on the profile.  PCs would try to load a webpage, but all we get is for example looking up microsoft.com and then the site cannot be reached.  I contacted AT&T support and they are blaming it on the residential gateway.  I am not confident that this is the answer.  I changed my DNS settings to use Google's public DNS servers and have had no problems on the devices that were changed over while the devices still using AT&T DNS servers cannot connect.  Unless the DNS resides within the gateway, I am not sure a new gateway will fix the issue.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

The default att DNS is used if you don't set it explicitly in your various devices.  That's why it worked in those devices in which you changed it to some other DNS.  There's lots of DNSs to choose from besides att's.

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

5 years ago

You got to wonder how many of those recycled Gateways they send out, when they have a DNS server outage. To bad their tech support cant see that, its easy enought to look up on the internet. Probably costs them a lot of money. I know it happened to me once. Lesson learned.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Doesn't bother me really.  I have about as much confidence in using my ISP's DNS as I do google's, i.e., I don't use either of them because I am bit paranoid and don't trust them, particularly almost anything google (although I admit I do use their search albeit with ads and I think indirect tracking links suppressed).  They have tentacles in enough stuff already.  Currently I use Cloudflare (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1) and when or if it hiccups I switch to OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220).

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

5 years ago

I've used FreeDNS for years. They claim "No Logging". Never had a problem  with them. 

https://freedns.zone/en/

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

4 years ago

Intermittent but defintely happening. Seeing email servers many public sites not resolving.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.