Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Dec 2, 2016 1:18 AM

DHCP on the Pace 5268AC router

I have ATT GigaPower, and a bunch of questions/problems with DHCP on the Pace 5268AC router.

First - is there a way to reserve a specific local IP address for a device in advance? There doesn't appear to be a way to do that unless the device has already connected and recieved an IP. I don't see any way to just enter a MAC address and an IP reservation the way typical DHCP servers do.

Second - if the device has connected once, lets say at 192.168.1.101, I can then go in to Settings/LAN/LAN IP Address Allocation, find its MAC address and change it from "Private from pool: 192.168.1.0" to "Private Fixed: 192.168.201" or whatever. After hitting Save, the device details and device status screens show the new IP address for that MAC address. But when I check the device (a Win10 PC), it is still using the old IP. A release and renew on the PC just pulls the old IP again; what should happen is that the router send a DHCP NACK indicating that the old IP is no longer available for lease, so the device requests a new one. I get the same behavior for iOS and Linux devices. Why didn't this work?

A few eventually changed, hours later - I get the impression that the router just does nothing until the original lease expires, but I can't wait 24 hours every time I change an IP, and the shortest lease period that can be configured is 1 hour.

After messing about with this for nearly an hour, I cleared the IP address table, thinking that would clear the leases. But it also cleared the reservations. Worse, all of the devices that had pulled a lease earlier now show as "Static IP" and can't be changed. The static IP they show, of course, is the one the router handed out as DHCP in the first place (for the Win10 PC, it shows 192.168.1.101, which still works).

So the third question is, how do I clear the lease table without flushing all of my reservations? Power cycling the router doesn't do it.

And I now have a fourth question - how do I get the router to treat these as DHCP devices again, instead of static? I no longer have the option of changing them to DHCP, or changing the IP address that they are using. It also no longer shows the device names, although for anything that comes up as Static, I now have the option of keying them in manually (I can't for a DHCP device).

So that brings up a fifth question - why can't I set the device name on a DHCP device, but I can on a "static" device? Both have existing names and have the same dynamic DNS update behavior - in fact, the devices haven't changed, only the router changed. Normally, I would prefer the device host name, but I have a few devices (like a Nest thermostat) that uses the serial number or other obscure value as a hostname and can't be changed, making it fairly useless for me. The alternative is to modify DNS for forward and reverse lookups and fix it there, but since the router IS the local DNS and refuses to allow me to change it, I can't.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Responses

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

First - is there a way to reserve a specific local IP address for a device in advance? There doesn't appear to be a way to do that unless the device has already connected and recieved an IP. I don't see any way to just enter a MAC address and an IP reservation the way typical DHCP servers do.

Not on the 5268AC but what I have done is to use a static address on my device.

Second - if the device has connected once, lets say at 192.168.1.101, I can then go in to Settings/LAN/LAN IP Address Allocation, find its MAC address and change it from "Private from pool: 192.168.1.0" to "Private Fixed: 192.168.201" or whatever. After hitting Save, the device details and device status screens show the new IP address for that MAC address. But when I check the device (a Win10 PC), it is still using the old IP. A release and renew on the PC just pulls the old IP again; what should happen is that the router send a DHCPNACK indicating that the old IP is no longer available for lease, so the device requests a new one. I get the same behavior for iOS and Linux devices. Why didn't this work?

You can see MAC address in Settings/LAN/Status Devices. The 5268ac was designed to specifications for supporting a U-verse solution(s) consequently it should not be considered a broad spectrum of technologies solution. Your best bet would be to use a static address on your Windows PC.

After messing about with this for nearly an hour, I cleared the IP address table, thinking that would clear the leases. But it also cleared the reservations. Worse, all of the devices that had pulled a lease earlier now show as "Static IP" and can't be changed. The static IP they show, of course, is the one the router handed out as DHCP in the first place (for the Win10 PC, it shows 192.168.1.101, which still works).

With too many changes, configuration or otherwise, and you may find that rebooting the 5268ac will be needed to ensure the 5268ac is in a quiescent state.

And I now have a fourth question - how do I get the router to treat these as DHCP devices again, instead of static? I no longer have the option of changing them to DHCP, or changing the IP address that they are using. It also no longer shows the device names, although for anything that comes up as Static, I now have the option of keying them in manually (I can't for a DHCP device).

Device names will return but not instantaneously. I have some of my network devices with static addresses and others using DHCP and all work find.

So that brings up a fifth question - why can't I set the device name on a DHCP device, but I can on a "static" device? Both have existing names and have the same dynamic DNS update behavior - in fact, the devices haven't changed, only the router changed. Normally, I would prefer the device host name, but I have a few devices (like a Nest thermostat) that uses the serial number or other obscure value as a hostname and can't be changed, making it fairly useless for me. The alternative is to modify DNS for forward and reverse lookups and fix it there, but since the router IS the local DNS and refuses to allow me to change it, I can't.

I am not sure why you need this level of sophistication.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Perhaps you should invest in a router that provides all the capability you require and install off the 5268ac.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Re: DHCP on the Pace 5268AC router

Not on the 5268AC but what I have done is to use a static address on my device.

Rather a pain when one has lots of devices of different types.

Second - if the device has connected once, lets say at 192.168.1.101, I can then go in to Settings/LAN/LAN IP Address Allocation, find its MAC address and change it from "Private from pool: 192.168.1.0" to "Private Fixed: 192.168.201" or whatever. After hitting Save, the device details and device status screens show the new IP address for that MAC address. But when I check the device (a Win10 PC), it is still using the old IP. A release and renew on the PC just pulls the old IP again; what should happen is that the router send a DHCPNACK indicating that the old IP is no longer available for lease, so the device requests a new one. I get the same behavior for iOS and Linux devices. Why didn't this work?

You can see MAC address in Settings/LAN/Status Devices. The 5268ac was designed to specifications for supporting a U-verse solution(s) consequently it should not be considered a broad spectrum of technologies solution. Your best bet would be to use a static address on your Windows PC.

I can see the MAC addresses - not sure what that has to do with the question.  Are you saying that the reservation feature of the 5268ac doesn't work?  Or that the U-verse solution requires that it not work?  And what about my Linux, iOS, and imbedded devices?

With too many changes, configuration or otherwise, and you may find that rebooting the 5268ac will be needed to ensure the 5268ac is in a quiescent state.

Rebooting didn't fix anything - everything still comes up static.  That also doesn't answer the question.

I subsequently found that, as the device leases expire, they make renewal requests, and the 5268ac then switches them from static back to dynamic.  Oddly enough, I was able to change the name while it was "static".

Device names will return but not instantaneously. I have some of my network devices with static addresses and others using DHCP and all work find.

Mine do not.  Device names for devices that are now "static" never return.  And I still don't know how to get them back to the state they were in before.

I am not sure why you need this level of sophistication.

To identify the device, something I have to do often since I can't reserve IPs.  I could get by without it, but I haven't got an answer to the previous four questions.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Perhaps you should invest in a router that provides all the capability you require and install off the 5268ac.

It’s funny – other ACE posters have extolled the virtues of this router, asking why anyone would want a different router or a different firewall solution.

Many consumer-grade Cisco, Linksys, or Netgear routers will do this stuff correctly (and also handle routing between local subnets properly).  But I then discovered that a) DHCP cannot be disabled on the 5268ac, and b) many forum posts attest to the futility of trying to get bridge mode to work (and let's not even start on static public IPs - there are countless messages on the forum on that mess, which is what usually leads people to try bridge mode in the first place).  So I am stuck with ATT's solution.

DHCP hasn't worked correctly on 2Wire routers for 10 years - I dumped ATT for TW for this exact reason 9 years ago after a string of about a dozen emails to 2Wire support due to devices being unable to get a lease after a WiFi disconnect (because they already had one!)  I had to switch back to ATT a while back because of TW's inability to keep my service up.  I decided to have a go at it again while installing some new servers, figuring that after all these years, they surely must have fixed that code by now.

Apparently not.

Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

437 Messages

• What i have done to fix the issues you are describing is to get the BGW210 gateway. That gateway allows you to turn off DHCP on the gateway, the 5268ac does not allow DHCP to be turned off.

Once you turn DHCP off on the 210 gateway, you can use the DHCP service on one of the servers you are installing to manage your local network. That solved the problem for me as I have been doing that for about 5 years with no problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
marnixava

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

I don't mind the DHCP. I just want to be able to tell the DHCP server what IP addresses to reserve for particular clients. Still sounds like I need to get a different gateway just to be able to configure things more easily. I have previously put a router in front of the gateway and that worked most of the time but occasionally there would be problems. So I'll see about getting AT&T to send me a BGW210 gateway . Thanks Transponder!

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

I am going to refer you to AT&T because there is nothing anyone can do for you on this as it is what it is. I am certain that you have valid reasons/requirements for your expectations but none of the AT&T router/gateways that I have dealt with in the past few years can provide you with that level of sophistication that is accessible by a user. I have installed, managed, and serviced many vendor routers and network appliances over the past three decades and I can tell you that while each touted a specific capability, none did it exactly the same way. And I can also state the level of frustration when after I and my clients got everything working the vendor would come out with a new release and break something in the process.

My recommendation is for you to go out in the marketplace and find a router solution that meets your needs and will be 100% under your control. Just use the DMZ feature of the 5268ac. 

@ATTHelpForums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

OK guys help a newbie plz just had ATT PACE 5268ac router delivered I created a static address on my android tablet 6.0 using OpenDSN addresses. After hitting save button I rebooted my device checked to see if changes held and instead it reverted back to google's 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.   Why?

marnixava

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

@WALLYWORD OpenDNS, not OpenDSN. You use OpenDNS addresses in your android device to specify the DNS server that you want to use. If you want to use a static IP address for your android device, you need to use one that is in the subnet for which your router is configured (typically 192.168.1.0 with mask 255.255.255.0). That static address is not related to the DNS server that you want to use. If you are at all confused about all these settings, your best bet is to set your android device to use DHCP, allowing it to automatically get it's own IP address and the DNS server's IP address from the router's DHCP service. By default the router will set itself as the DNS server. Once you have that working, you can try changing the settings in your android device to use the OpenDNS servers. Alternatively, you could go into your router and tell it to use the OpenDNS servers for DNS.

(edited)

marnixava

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

2 months ago

These questions are the same ones I have. Working with this router's configuration is very frustrating. I want to be able to enter MAC addresses and reserve IP addresses for those MAC addresses. I have to use ridiculous workarounds in order to get reservations. It is now 3 years and 3 months later and still no upgrade to this router's software.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AX11000 connected to my 5268AC and placed it in DMZ mode. It pulls the public IP but drops packets bad. Almost to the point of being unusable. I had to use the wireless access point setting inside my Nighthawk for it to work reliably. Very frustrating I bought a 500 dollar router just to use as a Wireless access point. I know I cant be the only one experiencing this?

marnixava

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

$500 router. Wow. For a few years I used an Apple router in front (or behind, depending on your viewpoint) of the AT&T router, but Apple no longer makes those routers and I feared they'd soon stop supporting them. I also just wanted to simplify my setup so that if/when I have to troubleshoot, there are less things to check. So I no longer have a router in front of my AT&T router. I hate the software in the AT&T router because it won't let me simply specify what IP address I want reserved for what MAC address. I've settled on configuring most of my devices with static IP addresses. For your problem, I'm not sure how you're detecting dropped packets. Does your Nighthawk router work OK if/when you make a wired connection to it? If not, you could try making your router to router connection use a non-negotiated fixed speed.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

When I connect my night hawk in dmz mode all wired and wireless connections behave the same way, webpages load extremely slow, slow pulling up YouTube, I have placed the night hawk on its own subnet 10.0.0.x. Had Att send me another gateway same issue. Trying to get my hands on the other Gateway that does ip passthrough and see if it is any better