hyunbum11128's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 8:06 PM

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

you have to go into the wireless settings of the modem http://192.168.0.254

go to home network -> wireless settings 

enter in router password

go down to additional settings -> wireless mode -> CHANGE to "b"

click save

go to home network -> advanced settings

go to private network -> click on 172.16.0.0

click save

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I too have trouble with both my Macbook Pro (2009) and an older Macbook (2007). When I am using them wirelessly, the red DSL lite will come on a few times a day when I use them. But when I use my HP laptop or Dell desk top, I never have this problem.

I think, and this is just a guess, but it might have something to do with both Mac’s having a ‘N’ type wireless card.

Rob

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Explain for a newbie, please, Rob. Is the 2Wire router somehow incompatible with the "N" card? What's a good solution for this?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I just had this problem myself. I don't know if this helps, but I called ATT support and had to reconfigure the 2wire modem/router. Somehow the newer Mac Book Pros aren't exactly compatible with the original configuration of the 2wire. Call the ATT tech support people and they should be able to help.

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Dear Members,

The issue which you've mentioned above could be because a few reasons.

To verify the same,  check if there is any EMI device ( halogen lamp, speakers, microwave, cordless phones ).

You may also check, whether the router is placed near the computer or Monitor, as this may affect the wireless frequency and if there is no EMI devices, there could be some problem with the wireless settings on your MacBook. In order to check settings in your MacBook, you may follow the steps provided in the link below.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401462

In case the issue persists, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk. If you are in AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI  you may contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk by clicking the link below:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello testmaven,

There should be no compatibility issue between 802.11 N standard wireless card and 2 Wire Routers, because all the latest Wireless cards work with the older generations cards, without any difficulty.
However if you are facing any compatibility issues between 2 Wire Router wireless standards and Macbook Airport standards, you may contact us via link mentioned below.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Former Employee

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

Hello testmaven,

In addition to Penny's post,I suggest that you check the wireless mode settings on your Macbook.There should be an option for you to select the wireless mode on that Macbook.Wireless modes are the following, b only, g only ,n only , b/g/ or b/g/n. If there is no option for b/g/n, I recommend that you purchase a router that is compatible with n-type wireless card.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

I have the exact same issue with the wireless and my 2 wire gateway modem, connection see to drop at least 10 times a day.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

exact same problem with me as well. 2wire gateway drops my connection on the wireless with my mac

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I also have the same problem using the 2wire but with both my Mac (2007 macbook) and PC (2007 thinkpad). It's much more frequent on the mac (10-20 times per day). There's a perfect connection between the computers and the 2wire but the 2wire keeps giving error messages about the connection to ATT ("Can't Contact Service Provider" or similar) so it's not a frequency issue for me. All I have to do is wait about 1 minute and it'll come back (initially 2wire says no dsl or similar and then it'll come back by itself). I've never seen this before with my previous ISP's (satellite and cable) and I'm wondering if it's the modem or something in the dsl box outside. Are there other modems that I can try that are supported by ATT?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.