Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
monanhuntsburg's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Oct 8, 2014 7:35 PM

concerns with switching to fiber optic from old land line and DSL

I am a long time ATT customer with some questions about new fiber optic phone and internet service being offered in my area. I have regular land line phones (2 lines, 5 seperate phones) in my home as well as DSL service for my internet. I am actually pleased with the service of both. However my costs have gone through the roof and ATT is offering to switch me to fiber optic for a much reduced cost and claims I will have better service. I have tried to ask ATT customer support but I'm not getting good answers on these questions.

1. Will my phones still plug into the old land lines that serve them now? I can't possibly plug 5 phones on 2 seperate lines into one modem.

2. I understand one modem will serve both my internet and phone lines. Will I be abe to also install a router to the modem to handle my laptop wirelessly?

3. I've been through about 3 modems during my time with ATT DSL. They usually just quit with no warning, they are sensitive electronic equipment and just go out over time. When that happens I lose my internet service - which makes me crazy - but at least I can use my land line to call customer service and they walk me through the problems and then send me a new modem. What will I do when the new modem goes out and I do not have internet or phone??

4. We occasionally have storms here that can knock out the power for days. With the regular land line I can still make calls on a standard phone - connected directly to the wall even without electricity. The sales rep tells me the fiber optic lines will have a battery backup with 4 1/2 hours talk time. Will that work on all my phones or only if it is connected to the modem?

5. Will the cost of this new installation be billed to me or will it be included in the service. It seems that all these new lines could take considerable time. When I first started with DSL it took the technician about 3 trips to get it straight. But I was only charged one installation fee.

Sorry for so many questions, but if I can't answer these questions my husband will never let me switch. Hoping someone out there has been through this themselves and can help me. Thanks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8年前

Thank you very much, I don't understand all the accronyms, but I think I get the idea.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7年前

Just to give you another side of the coin. I'm disabled and live in FL where we get storms that knock out the power and with the all in one bundle with U-verse when I lost power I had NO PHONE. You can imagine how important a phone is when there's an emergency. So if you have a cell phone or you're not dependant on your landline phone then the discount is great, if you need that phone to  work no matter what than stay with the POTS (Plain Old Telephone Serives) line and you can apply with your state for discounted telephone service ;o)

Hope this helps out

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7年前

@JLMROGUE wrote:

Just to give you another side of the coin. I'm disabled and live in FL where we get storms that knock out the power and with the all in one bundle with U-verse when I lost power I had NO PHONE. You can imagine how important a phone is when there's an emergency. So if you have a cell phone or you're not dependant on your landline phone then the discount is great, if you need that phone to  work no matter what than stay with the POTS (Plain Old Telephone Serives) line and you can apply with your state for discounted telephone service ;o)

Hope this helps out

Didn't you have a battery backup if you have UVoice?  The VRAD servicing you has batteries that last until they bring a generator to the VRAD (what they do here in metro Detroit).

By the way ATT is putting in requests to end POTS in all the states they service starting in 2016, know they've done that here in MI.  They want everyone on some type of VOIP system, expecially the overpriced UVoice. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4年前

Do not believe Uverse salespeople or the in home installer, on the fiber optic. I had mine installed last week and the next day it was down and it said customer disabled.. I restarted as requested came up same error. Called uverse/att after spending 3 hours on phone with them They tell me I have bad equipment (they installed all new equipment when fiber was installed) They said the salesperson and installer should have told me uverse/att are having problems with their supplied boxes and motem/router work with the fiber lines. Now I have no TV and very speratic internet They said they SHOULD have the new equipment next Friday. I guess I just have to wait and see On the internet speed test side of it when it was working for all of one day it was showing close to 100mbs up and 100mbs down but I can tell you this much You won't notice any difference from their 50mbs regular cable line The ping rate seems to be longer on fiber

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3年前

My landline service was destroyed in the Paradise CA Camp Fire, and I'm forced to use a cellphone (which I don't like). ATT is replacing the service with fiber optics, and my question is, will I be able to use my old equipment--phones and message machines, and the existing wiring in the house?

ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

189.7K Messages

3年前

We want to look into this with you. Please send a private message to our Facebook (https://soc.att.com/2fO1qMR) or Twitter (https://soc.att.com/2ZQ8a1W) page, including your contact information and account number.

• 

1 Message

1年前

DON'T switch to fiber optics!!  There's a reason they're offering you a better deal.  I don't know what it is but I live in Boise, Idaho and we CAN'T GET an old-fashioned non-battery dependent phone line anymore. 😠

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.