Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Aug 3, 2016 11:22 PM

Cat 5e data (green) cable replacement

Where can I purchase a replacement day cord (green) that will fit into the wall plate installed by the att tech?

By the way, will a cat 6 data cord make the Internet any better? If so, where may I purchase a cat6 cord that will fit into the wall plate installed for a cat5e cord Thanks in advance!

Responses

ATTDSLCare

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

4 years ago

Hello @Someonetellme,

Cat6 won't improve anything over Cat5e unless you are running a gigabit network and have our Gigapower service, otherwise save your money. But you can find these just about anywhere, I have seen them in hardware stores like home depot or lowes, definitely computer stores like best buy or Fry's. We used to sell them in our AT&T online store but I do not see them in there anymore, surely you could call customer service and get some shipped to you.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a question" button. Have email issues? Contact the Digital Assistance Center at 877-267-2988 and you can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

8K Messages

4 years ago

Sounds like you're talking about the feed from the wall to your DSL modem.  If that's the case it's nothing special, just a plain old telephone cord, CAT nothing.  They make them green for ease of DYI installation, you'll notice the jack color on your modem is green also.  The only thing you need CAT 5 or better for is the eithernet port out of the modem to your PC, router or whatever you're plugging the output of the modem into. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

No I just bought a phone cable, it said RJ11, DIDN'T work. for the green broadband cable. I told att and they sent 2 ethernet cables. 

ATTDSLCare

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

4 years ago

@spoom2 well the telephone cord isn't exactly "cat nothing". It should be at least cat3 or better which i believe is the standard.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a question" button. Have email issues? Contact the Digital Assistance Center at 877-267-2988 and you can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

8K Messages

4 years ago

Category cable came out long after phone cords.  There are very few if any twist on the pairs in  telephone base cord which is one of the factors needed to meet a Category rating.  Being a retired phone guy I hate to differ with you, but base cords have no CAT rating.  To blow your mind even more the plain old copper cable buried around town by the phone companies also has no CAT rating nor the drop to your house.  I'm not positive on this, but I think I'm close in saying Category rated cable didn't appear until the 90's.  If you happen to see a CAT rating on a telephone base cord you buy at Wally World or anywhere else it's just because the manufacture, probably China, didn't know better. 

I'm only talking about telephone base cords. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ATTDSLCare

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

4 years ago

@spoom2 base cords you are probably right about little to no twist. But our green cord is rated at cat3, and there are phone cords that you can buy at any big chain store that are rated for data which are at least cat3. I believe it even says its for data on the package. Now unless something changed with the manufacturer of our "green" cord, I have cut the sheath on one before, and it was certainly twisted. And regular base cords will work for DSL as long as they are short runs and there isn't much interference being induced across the pair, and I would assume its the same for Uverse since they work in a similar manner but I can't say for sure, for the past 16 years I have only known DSL.

AT&T Customer Care

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

8K Messages

4 years ago

Well I'm not going to belabor the point.  I will post the link on the tech forum I'm on, they always appreciate these things.   I hope at least the OP got the answer they need. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

WILL ATT INSTALL A NEW JACK FOR A FAIR PRICE   IAHV TOO MOEV MY MODEM BEACUSAE MY WIFE IS BED RIDDEN NOW AND NEED TOO MOVE ALL THE STUFF FROM UNDER THE HOSPITAL BED

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.7K Messages

9 months ago

@RAMMERDD 

best to have started a new thread instead of posing on one that is over three years old....

To answer the question... request to move equipment is a $149 Dispatch On Demand service call.... 

This will move the gateway... if additional wiring needs to be performed cost can be higher.

The tech should cover any related costs with you before performing any work, you approve or say no and tech does no work.

To schedule your appointment please call 800.288.2020

Get started...

Ask a new question