Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!

AT&T related help: AT&T Internet support

z10's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 8th, 2022 11:32 PM

Can't connect to SimpliSafe

I recently switch to ATT fiber and now my SimpliSafe securtiy system can't see my new network. SimpliSafe requires 2.4ghz system. The ATT system is a Humax BGW320-500. Is this system compatible with my needs? If not what is the solution?
tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

3 months ago

Most of the AT&T gateways have the  2.4GHz and 5GHz bands combined into one Wifi Network Name (SSID).  The wifi devices are supposed to interact with the gateway and come to a decision as to which frequency they should connect to.

At least that's the theory, but things like your security system don't often do well when faced with this combined frequency situation so you've got two choices...

You have to separate the bands OR enable the Guest Wifi Network which is 2.4GHz only and point the security system to that.

To go with the first solution, go to http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/wconfig.ha and enter the access code found on the gateway's label.

In the 5GHz section change the Network Name (SSID) to something else.  I usually suggest just adding a -5 onto the end of the current name.  Scroll down and hit Save.  Oh, ignore the dire warnings about the end of civilization if you change the name.

After this, any devices that work better on 5GHz will need to be told to connect to the new SSID you just made but the exiting 2.4 devices should just keep working.

If you'd rather go the Guest Wifi route, go to http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/wconfig_unified.ha and Enable the Guest SSID and point the security system to that Guest Network Name.  Again, don't forget to click Save.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

tonydi,

I was unable to get option 1 to make any difference.   My Simplisafe can not locate any wifi networks.

I also tried option 2 and the link provided fails to open. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

3 months ago

So it can't see the regular 2.4GHz SSID after you split them but it can see the Guest Wifi SSID and just not connect, is that right?  Any error messages? 

Other things don't have trouble connecting to the regular 2.4GHz SSID, right?

SimpliSafe seems to have a pretty extensive list of trouble shooting articles and even some sort of app to help connect.  Have you looked through that stuff on their site? 

If so and you're still dead in the water it might be worth hitting up their tech support, hopefully they've seen this before with AT&T gateways.  I see one old thread here where apparently the SimpliSafe device needed a firmware update but wasn't getting it because the user hadn't purchased it through an authorized dist.  SS got them fixed up and solved the problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.