Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
ampz9_123's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Aug 5, 2014 2:28 AM

can the mot nvg589 run on a single, rather than bonded pair connection?

Hello everyone,

would like to share and ask for confirmation about my recent experience with tech support:

called tech support, regarding an issue I'm experiencing which is  related to range. Basically there is a spot in my house where the signal is really low and all my devices disconnect or are unable to use (e.g. browse) the wifi signal .

so I thought about asking for a modem/router which supports 802.11N. At first, tech support replied with "there is no such thing at the moment"; after me quoting a post from this forum (https://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Motorola-NVG589-New-U-verse-Gateway/m-p/3520283#M10724), he went back to check and now came back with that this modem/router (mot NVG589) was available but not in my area as it needs a bonded pair connection, which is not available yet.

would like to confirm, as I've read in this forum mixed replies, if this is true or can it run on a single, rather than a bonded pair connection? this was the only excuse for him to not resolve the problem I presented

thanks in advance,

ampz9_123

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.1K Messages

7 y ago

When first released 3rd/4th quarter of 2013, designated as blinded only.

1st quarter 2014, allowed on single pair VDSL circuits.

If current RG is leased 3800, 3801, or 3812 inid... The 589 is a leased replacement.

If current unit is a purchased 3600, or 5031 the 589 is not available.

The 3600, 5031 are VDSL internet only or internet/VoIP RG. (No IPTV)

The 589 is available on internet only POWER tier which is a BONDED install, RG leased.

If this is an adsl2+ circuit then the RG is purchased 510 only, unless bonded ADSL then 5168.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.1K Messages

7 y ago

As a followup, the 589 is a 2.4 GHz b/g/n wireless with same range. 

May wish to consider purchasing a dual band 2.4/5 GHz router, set to AP mode, placed on Ethernet cable closer to dead zone for coverage.

Charge for tech visit to install Ethernet cable... Labor $99, wire run $55 total $154.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

Thanks for the reply, currently I got a leased 3801, does that mean that my setup can use the 589?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

Forgot to mention, that I will look into a dual band ap...thanks again for the reply
my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.1K Messages

7 y ago

Yes, the 589 can be replace the 3801. 

There was a point where 589 were only available from a tech visit, some recent posts reporting receive 589 shipped from warehouse.

I would recommend schedule the tech visit, verify installation, install new RG and remove 3801.

If choose to have direct shipped, may not get a 589 but another 3801, have to replace yourself, return 3801 to a UPS store for return packing/shipping at company expense.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.