Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
MSUalum1980's profile

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 12th, 2022 4:29 AM

Can I use my own modem & router?

We have decided to eliminate our U-verse tv package  but will still keep our ATT Internet . We eliminated our home phone over a year ago so the only service we will have is the internet. We do not have fiber optic here and they are unable to  give us an idea on when we will be getting it. While speaking with the ATT representative I asked if we could have a newer router/modem combination GATEWAY in hopes of providing stronger & faster Internet. Our current model is  the 5268 AC which is several years old. But when they sent  the  “newer” Gateway it was the same exact one, model 5268 AC! We have bern

ATT home customers for many, many years paying a monthly equipment fee. And after 6 years at this house we have paid hundreds of dollars for old equipment. So we would like to buy our own upgraded equipment but in searching on how to do that I have seen conflicting responses. I have seen one that said that we have to use ATT equipment no matter what, or we have to use their equipment IF we have fiber optics, or if we have other ATT equipment that will be connected, & finally even if we do start using our own equipment we will still have to pay the monthly equipment fee. With all of these variations in answers I have no clue what the correct answer is. HELP! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

First off, the 5268ac gateway, while older, provides the same performance as the slightly newer (but still old) model.  So you'll get zero benefits from changing out the one you have. 

If fiber is ever installed in your neighborhood the 5268ac will still give you the same wired performance as the two newer model gateways if you get the 1 gig fiber.  The newest gateway, the BGW320 does do Wifi6 so you have the potential to get faster wifi speeds if you have Wifi6 devices.

So bottom line, no benefit from upgrading your gateway at the moment.

You can add a third party router behind any of the gateways, either now or if/when fiber arrives.  But yes, you'll still use the AT&T gateway.  The "good news" is that under current fiber plans the gateway is included so you'll stop paying the separate fee for it.  Of course, AT&T is still going to get the $10/mo because that's now built into the price of the service.  🙄

The only advantage using the third party router now is that you will probably get better wifi coverage.  But if your coverage is acceptable, stick with what you've got now.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T Internet requires the use of LEASED AT&T equipment.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Ah, AT&T’s world famous customer service strikes again! The best way to avoid AT&T's outrageous equipment fees is to go with another internet provider.

Employee

• 

41 Messages

2 years ago

There's really only 2 benefits from switching from the 5268 AC to using your own router. WiFi coverage and WiFi 6e. The newest thing in the market right now is Wi-Fi mesh systems. These allow you to place a router and "satellites" all over the house to get better WiFi coverage. WiFi 6e is an amazing technology as well. It allows you to use another spectrum of wifi to deliver faster speeds. The only problem is there aren't too many wifi 6e devices yet. A brand new Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra will have it, or a brand new $4,000 gaming laptop, but since it's still relatively new it's not found in older devices. It's also great if you live in an apartment where there's a ton of wifi channels causing interference. That's where that extra Wi-Fi Spectrum helps out a lot. 

I would keep what you have now and when you get fiber in the future you can always look into something with a little more features. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.