Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Dec 11, 2018 3:42 AM

AT&T wifi internet keeps dropping

Starting one week ago, ATT wifi starting disconnecting then reconnecting.  Will stay connected for a few minutes then will disconnect/reconnect again.  Does this continuously.  Tried using different channels but problem persists.

Responses

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

having same exact problem for probably over a year. Att switched our box out. It actually seems worse. Happens with wired connection and WiFi. And now because if corona virus they are blaming it on everyone trying to get onto the network. Welp I don’t believe it because it even happens at 3am. Also it was happening before corona. We do not have any other options at the moment. And have an in home business. I can litterally work from my iPhone 7 on sprints data better then I can with att internet. Thank goodness we have unlimited data with sprint and 50 gigs of hotspot free.

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

SOLUTION:

(1) Update your router to the latest firmware revision level. If you don't know what it is, call AT&T. Insist they "push" the latest revision level to your router. If not, they should be able to send you a link to the latest firmware which you can easily install. Restart your router and test.

(2) Update your wireless adapter(s) to the latest software (i.e., driver) level. If possible, use the manufacturer's approved driver, not Apple's nor Microsoft's. Restart your Mac or PC and test.

(3) Install a WiFi analyzer in your Mac or PC. The analyzer will tell you which WiFi bands are congested, etc. Personally, I use the free version of "WiFi Analyzer" (available in the Microsoft Store).

(4) Determine the optimum Channel and Frequency for your device(s). WiFi Analyzer does this. You'll be amazed at how many nearby (non-household) devices may be sharing your WiFi channels and frequencies.

(5) Go to 192.168.1.254 and change the current router default settings for Channel and Frequency from "Automatic" to the one obtained in Step (4) above.

(6) Restart your router, then restart your MAC or PC.

If the above continues to yield "dropouts," then you probably have a defective router and/or adapter.

Above worked for me. Problem fixed.

Best wishes!

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I see all problems here and do we have any solutions to this? I am having the same issue 

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

3 months ago

Can you visit the following URL and see what "Time Since Last Boot" says?

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_0_0

My 5268AC has been solid for years, and now it reboots frequently.

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

Guy same thing here in Splendora Texas broadband and wifi drops several times a day and everytime I have an ATT tech out I get things like "you have to much stuff hooked up to wifi ei. (home automation) phones etc.

and I do understand you can have too many wifi devices hooked up, but when I can disconnect almost all of them and the (Edited per community guidelines) router still crashes even after having the router replaced. I have come to the relization that it's not us. it is ATT and or there equipment.  ATT DO YOUR (Edited per community guidelines) JOB and fix it.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

3 months ago

Does at&t specify somewhere how many devices are supported on a given piece of equipment?  If not, then the tech's response is inadequate.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Count me in on this issue as well. Switched from Comcast to 1G ATT fiber this past Friday and am having intermittent dropouts since y'day. Have restarted the BGW-320 gateway multiple times  but the issue persists. This has been happening mainly during the workhours (8-6PM) and worst of all, I am not on wifi but using hardwired ethernet  drops.

Getting to speak with ATT support is like pulling teeth. Teh only recommendation that keeps popping up is to restart the gateway. had been with COmcast for a long time and though slower in performance, it was consistently up 99.99% of the time.

Will give it another week and if the issue persists, will go back to comcast

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Also been getting the same issue:

• Internet cuts out for ~1 minute on all devices but stays "connected."
  • The router appears offline if trying to reconnect or connect a new device.
  • Lights stay green on the modem.
  • AT&T apps say everything is online and working with no outages.
  • Always happens during work hours during a video meeting (hangouts or zoom) – one to a few times a day on weekdays, never on weekends.

We've tried:

• Upgrading to a faster plan.
  • Several technician visits inspecting + trying different things.
  • A replacement modem.

Nothing seems to have worked. I wonder if this is just AT&T throttling us? Or maybe the AT&T-supplied modem just doesn't have enough CPU to handle modern video-conferencing and is crashing?

(edited)

• 

1 Message

21 days ago

This is ridiculous.   I just had our 2.4 GHz only Arris NVG589 router replaced with the supposedly better ARRIS 5268AC and the connections are dropping all the time!  What a piece of trash.

• 

1 Message

20 days ago

I have the same problem but mine has been going on for months.  We have good days where nothing happens and bad days where we drop 3-5 times per hour on MS teams calls.  Nobody seems able to figure this out - sooooo frustrated!!!

• 

2 Messages

a day ago

Oh boy, just posed a question to the forum. My AT&T portable mobile device loses connection at least once a day. So frustrating to be constantly rebooting the device. Sounds like a common problem. 

I don't really have any other connection irons because I am so rural. It would be wonderful if it actually worked all the time, just like I pay my bill on time all the time.

Get started...

Ask a new question