epontius's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Wednesday, August 22nd, 2018 3:37 PM

ATT uverse download speed across entire home network drops drastically when uploading.

This problem just started happening around this past Sunday. Was watching Netflix on a PS4 hard wired connected to the network. My girlfriend using a notebook connected over wireless started to upload a bunch of photos to Dropbox. At that moment the Netflix quality dropped. The PS4's internet connection test was very sluggish and showed connection speeds in the Kb/s similar to dial up.  I rebooted the PS4, rebooted the Uverse gateway and my router and same thing occurred. I tried troubleshooting with the ATT app on my smartphone but connected over wireless it couldn't start any tests. Switching to LTE on the phone allowed the app to load and the tests to run. The tests indicated that it was getting normal ~40-50Mbs down and ~5Mbs up supposedly from the AT&T network to gateway and no other issues.

Using another desktop connected via a wire to the network and trying to run a speedtest from speedtest.net was slow to load and when it did indicated speeds comparable to dial up for download.

Thinking this was a fluke didn't think much of it. Later that evening the download speeds went back to normal.

Forward to Tuesday and I'm trying to get some large video files uploaded to a file share site and the download speeds crater again. This is when I noticed that this decrease in download speed correlates to uploading. Doesn't matter the device, browser, app, etc... if anything on the network is uploading data it has a severe impact on the download speed for the entire network.

Thinking it might have been an issue with my router, I connected directly to the AT&T gateway with a wire, bypassing the router altogether. Same thing occurs if any thing on the network is uploading, the download speed drops drastically. Stop the upload and the download speed returns to normal. I took the router completely out of the loop and tried uploading a file directly from the system connected directly to the AT&T gateway and the same thing occurs...drastic drop in download speed for the duration of the upload. Interestingly enough when this is happening when connected and uploading directly to the gateway, the its own speedtest utility still indicates ~40-50Mbs speeds and just shows a smaller drop in upload speed (2Mbs down from ~5mbs which is expected) .

This would seem to indicate to be that some issue with the modem.

I seem to remember that earlier on Sunday, prior to when I noticed this issue, that things were normal. I uploaded a few large video files to YouTube and not remember anything remarkable about the download speed. That seemed to be the last time it was acting as it should.

I talked with AT&T support over chat. Explained the issue several times. He ran a line test and supposedly did some other things, and nothing made a difference. After some time of run this speedtest and run that speedtest and those pages had difficulty even loading if I had a file uploading in the background... he punted my chat session to his "supervisor". I had the issue reversed thinking that I had slow upload speeds when downloading. I had to correct and explain to him again. He again ran a few tests to no avail. Then told me that I had to reset the gateway (hold down the red button for 20 seconds) because of some supposed software changes he made. This dumped my chat session since the gateway was reset. Once it did come back up the issue was still the same. I had to go through connecting to chat again, getting yet another agent and having to explain the same thing for the 3rd time. He ran some tests, asked me to run some speedtests again..supposedly fiddled with a few things. Then he asked me to reset the gateway again...which I wasn't about to fall for again and sit through explaining this issue to a 4th agent all over again.

He finally gave up and set up  a service call.

What I'm worried about now is whether this issue may be related to a recent firmware update pushed down by AT&T. I currently have the Arris bgw210-700  and it indicates it has firmware 1.6.7 installed. I've seen other posts from people with other issues (such as port forwarding being disabled) with this model of gateway that this firmware may have been recently pushed down by AT&T. Don't know if this issue might a side effect from the firmware upgrade. I just don't want a AT&T service guy to come to my house, swap the gateway out with a new one which will work perfectly fine until a few days down the road when it gets its firmware updated to this latest version, starting this whole cycle over again.

So I'm looking for any guidance and trying to see if anyone else has experienced this odd problem with uploading drastically reducing download speed performance across the network. Is this a known issue? Or is it a hardware failure with the gateway? Is it something at the street that can be addressed only by AT&T service?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.1K Messages

6 years ago

That is true when an area or account is initially greenlighted, but in your case since the update was already given, the provisioning of the RG should have instantly had the new code pushed to it. I've seen this happen every time. Well, I suppose you'll confirm what happens when the update eventually happens.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

Still the same firmware. Perhaps they have suspended pushing the update because of other problems I keep hearing about such as port forwarding not working properly?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.1K Messages

6 years ago

I suppose it's possible.

There is a rather long thread about port forwarding, but I don't rely on it myself, other than the WAP used by Uverse wireless set-top box, which apparently relies on port forwarding and otherwise works fine for me .

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

6 years ago

I have not yet received the new BGW 210 firmware either.  But that could just be I'm not scheduled yet.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Firmware version 1.6.7 was pushed to my gateway last night. 

I just did a test and my problem with slow downloads while uploading is back.

Download speeds are fine until an upload happens. Then they crater.

So over 2 days of it working fine with 1.5.12, good download speeds while uploading,  and now the problem is back once 1.6.7 was installed.

There seems to be something up with firmware 1.6.7

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

I left a voicemail with the tech but hasn't so far returned my call.

I hesitate to contact AT&T support again as they will most likely just try and replace my box again, leaving me the with same problem again two days later.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

There is no rolling software version back to a previous version.

I understand that. I wasn't asking for that, though that would be nice.

The tech cannot return without another service ticket being created.

He explicitly told me to call him directly if the issue returned, and he would create another ticket and get a more advanced team to look at it (I think he said R&R team or something of the like).

At this point recommend being aware that uploads will affect download speed. Maybe try to schedule uploading during non usage times till a future software version is released.

I'm guessing I can switch providers in less than 3 to 6 months. This is hardly an acceptable solution.

I'm hamstrung because of a failure in the firmware. I've apparently been promised a minimum of something like 24Mb/s download, at least that is what the 3 reps I talked with in troubleshooting kept telling me, no mention that that guarantee doesn't extend to simultaneous uploading.

I guess I'll just continue to contact support and have a technician and a new box sent out every 2 days.

Considering that this problem hasn't really been addressed there is no guarantee that even in 3-6 months when the next version rolls out that it will be any different.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Talked with another AT&T support rep, who also was not very knowledgeable.  After feeding me some bull about bandwidth overlapping or something has resorted to issuing another service call. This time he is sending a "senior technician" and an NVG599 gateway to "fix this issue once and for all."

I guess that is their way of fixing issues with firmware...just replace it with different hardware and hope for the best.

I'm pretty sure that I had a NVG599 a while back and had different issues with it and it was replaced by the BGW210-700 which has been replaced twice since and now a 3rd time now with the NVG599 again.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

5 years ago

Wow. I'm dreading getting this firmware update more and more. I noticed in a screenshot someone shared that the "datapump" (the firmware for the DSL modem in the gateway) version is different, so that's probably the source of this bug. Thankfully I don't make any use of port forwarding but its still ridiculous that they broke that as well. And now I find out about this bug that kills your download bandwidth if you dare upload some pics to facebook or something.

Does AT&T do ANY QA testing on firmware updates, or do they just shove em out the door and hopes for the best? How in the world could they have not caught either of these severe bugs? Wonder what those 3 to 6 months between updates are spent on? It obviously is not used to do any halfway decent testing, or quality assurance. Also pretty amazing they are still pushing it out to more people despite these forums being flooded with people reporting bugs and broken features. What did this update do to improve anything, other than fix the conflict with cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 anyway? I'm sure the next update will fix one maybe even both of these problems in a speedy 3 months to half a year from now, but will break three or more other things. One step forward, two steps back.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I can confirm that after the 1.6.7 update, speeds have taken a major dump and I am experiencing what OP stated. When upload is going,not even maxing out, download tanks to half of my speed or even less with pings skyrocketing. 

Thankfully passthru works "ok" for now. I am waiting for my 5268 to come tomorrow. Seems like people are having great success after dumping the 210. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.