For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
asiano's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, July 26th, 2014 5:38 AM

Closed

AT&T NVG589 Install Concerns/Questions?

Last Saturday, I had AT&T come and replace my old 2-Wire 3800 with the NVG589 and I have a few questions about the install.  Please note I am currently only using the DSL internet service and VOIP phone service.

1) My 2-Wire install had a coaxial connection in the rear of the unit (initially I also had U-verse TV, but cancelled that service after the first month, not sure if this has anything to do with the coax).  He used an adapter to convert the coax to an RJ-11 connector and inserted it in the DSL Broadband jack.  Is that proper?  I've seen several posts stating that they should no longer use coax.

2) The installer connected a line from one of my phone jacks to the phone input on the NVG589 (same as before).  However, ever since I changed to the NVG589, it is dropping many of my calls.  It just disconnects and I get a dial down and have to recall the person I was speaking to.  Any idea what would cause this?  When I review the phone stats for the NVG589, I do not see any error indications or failed packets.

3) The tech failed to bring the internal battery.  He brought the gray Belkin Battery Backup Unit instead (stated they were out of internal batteries).  Actually, when he did the install he connected the NVG589 to the old black Belkin BBU.  However, I saw that the power supply for the black Belkin BBU was not compatible with the NVG589 and quickly changed it to the gray Belkin BBU.  I have asked for the internal battery, but I am getting the run around from AT&T.  Is it ok to use the gray Belkin BBU until I get the internal battery?

Thanks

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

@my thoughts wrote:

First if internet only or internet/VoIP on a single pair, the RG should have been the $100 purchased 5031 not the $7 per month leased 589. The 5031 does not have an internal battery capacity and uses the grey BBU to support VoIP.

The 5031 does not support IPTV and would have no coax jack.

The 589 input is only RJ11, either the tech was lazy and did need not want to install a new cat5e direct feed OR your in a unique situation such as MDU apartment or condo where a new cable run was not feasable . will coax as wired work, yes.... Preferred, no.

3) only receive either the Greg BBU or the internal battery, not both.

Either does the same, provide power to the RG for up to 4 hours in the event of a power failure.

Does garages run out of certain items at times, yes including WAPs (cannot install WiFi receivers) and Greg Belkin BBU (install with standard power brick). The option is to reschedule the install or repair, not desirable from any standpoint. Techs use what they have as long as does not comprise service, the Greg BBU does not.

Additionally reports of internal batteries not seating properly, installed in bottom of unit, upside down, weight of battery with gravity pull does not provide a solid connection, meaning in event of power outage the RG will not function unless remove and reinsert internal battery or stand the RG upside down.

Thank you for the reply.

It may be tough to install a Cat 5e or Cat 6 line.  I live in a two-story, single family home and access to the first floor is difficult.  My modem is on the first floor, closer to my PCs and home theater.

Any thoughts regarding my VOIP issue where it seems to be dropping many calls?

Guru

• 

417 Messages

10 years ago

I have an NVG589 on the way as well. Are you saying that I should insist on a CAT-5 wire coming inside the house instead of the coax that I have now. Each of my STB's is connected by Coax if that makes a difference.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

@my thoughts wrote:

The 589 does not support the coax diplexer installs that are supported by the 3800 and 3801 RGs.

Meaning need a direct connection from NID to RG, preferred cat5e (this is becoming a standard). On unique situations may use cat3, coax with balun. Quad is a basic NO.

Diplexer allows for both input and output to set top receivers on coax jack.

The 589 coax jack is output only, to feed set top receivers if need be.

Thus would need two quality coax feeds to RG, one input with balun, one to feed coax splitter. If needing to install a new line best to install cat5 or cat6.

The desire is also to have as many receivers as possible on Ethernet not coax.

As average install is 3 TVs, the DVR on Ethernet from RG and a Wireless Access Point to feed two wireless receivers. If RG and DVR in same room (area) may one need one new wire installed, the direct. 

I was hoping you could help me understand what CRC and FEC errors mean and whether I should be concerned about the stats below.  I don't check this screen everyday, but when I did review it for the first few days after the install, I did not see any errors.  Thanks

AT&T U-verse Errors v2.png

1 Attachment

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Although my ARRIS NVG 589 has a Co-Ax in the rear.? I do use the Ethernet plug, and wires, for the outside box to CAT-5 cable to the modem, and E=5 cable to my WIFI Router.

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

3 years ago

This topic is 7 years old, closing to posting. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.