Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
bradkusik's profile

2 Messages

Monday, December 11th, 2023 6:03 AM

Closed

AT&T modem only & my own router

Does AT&T offer a modem only option, or do I need to use the modem/router combo (gateway), I already have?  I am trying to setup a mesh system to improve my Wi-Fi signal in the house.  I was planning to use a eero mesh system, but I'm struggling to figure out if I have to do a work-around with my gateway, or if the modem only, is an option.  AT&T sent me the same device that I already have, meaning either the customer service rep didn't understand me or they don't offer just a modem.  What do other people do in this circumstance when they want to bring their own router into the mix?  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

32.5K Messages

7 months ago

You must always use AT&T's Gateway. But you can use it just for the modem part and use your own preferred router utilizing passthrough mode.

Doesn't get around using their equipment and the $10 monthly fee, but gives a bit more control for you in better equipment.

2 Messages

7 months ago

Thank you for your response.  I figured I would always have to pay for a device, but I hoped they offered just a modem to make the process cleaner.

In my research, I have read about 'bridged mode', which the eero rep also mentioned.  The eero rep said I would have to activate this feature on the AT&T gateway, which in my research may not even exist.  I understand AT&T doesn't allow bridged mode because they would not be able to access my router anymore.  If that is the case then is the 'passthrough' mode basically the same idea?  Is this passthrough option you mention easy to access and turn on, or do I need AT&T to do this?

Thanks again for your time!

4 Messages

6 months ago

I also need to setup my new ATT BWG320 to feed my existing Asus router network and have an added wrinkle I just learned about.  I have a dozen "wifi things" security cams, nest smoke alarms, thermostat and a dozen wifi smart plugs/outlets.  I just found out that the "main" channel on the ATT Gateway runs at 5ghz and most if not all of my internet of thingies want to be on a 2.4ghz channel.  The info I've been able to find seems to say that you can use the "guest login channel" for this, but I can't get my phone to operate on that channel using the app's Signal Strength tool to make sure the stuff in my yard is close enough to use.

Also can't seem to access the ATT gateway using the IP address as several others have posted.

Any help much appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

6 months ago

@bradkusik  AT&T gateways do not support true bridge mode. To setup an external router you will need to place the gateway in IP Passthrough mode to allow the new router to handle all of the routing duties and WiFi.

@gwok  What a lot of folks do is use the Guest Mode for their IoT devices which are typically 2.4GHz. To provide better reliability the SSID name of Guest Network is changed to whatever you like and assigned a different password from your primary. There is no need to change or alter the primary network bands or password (which should be a different pw from the Guest Network and very unique). I have no issues accessing our cameras and other IoT devices using my phone, iPad, or laptop.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

6 months ago

It’s the Eero that needs to be bridged or put into AP mode.  I haven’t personally examined that system, but most good ones make accommodations to work with ISP equipment such as we have we Att.  It’s easiest for users to setup and maintain.   It’s how my own personal wifi system is configured.  

Also I personally lobby against use of guest network for any reason at home other than for temporary use as intended.  There are ways to connect 2.4GHz devices to an Att gateway WiFi.  TL;DR is to temporarily disabled the 5GHz radio.  

4 Messages

6 months ago

Not sure if i understand the reason for not using the guest network?  Also, if you disable the 5ghz aren't you also not going to be able to access it with phones, etc that should benefit more than 2.4ghz?

Thanks! 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

6 months ago

@gwok  Devices on the Guest Network can only access the internet. They cannot communicate with any other devices (on any network). The primary and IoT WiFi allow devices to communicate with the entire network. Hardwired devices are by definition on the primary network. Some router mfrs (Netgear's AX system for example) decided that devices on the Guest Network MUST be isolated. I use the Netgear AX system so that's why I put all of my IoT devices on the Guest Network (with a different SSID/pw) and don't even bother with the IoT network. That leaves my primary network to decide which other 2.4GHz or 5GHz devices to allow connectivity, which is mostly our phones, laptops, and iPads. Both of my home theater systems are hardwired.

Oh, and there is nothing to do with the Netgear AX system other than put it in Router Mode. Setting it up in Bridge Mode is not necessary. I don't use AT&T as my ISP so I don't know if there are any peculiarities other than IP Passthrough when connecting a separate router and using it as a router and not as an AP.

(edited)

1 Message

3 months ago

"To setup an external router you will need to place the gateway in IP Passthrough mode to allow the new router to handle all of the routing duties and WiFi."

In my AT&T router settings, I see an option labelled "Broadband Source Override". I assume that's the same thing? It's currently set to auto so I assume it'll just work when I hook up the ASUS router we're getting via WAN connection with no additional tinkering needed.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

3 months ago

I would suggest you’re struggling to understand the help panels and what functionality is given.  That specific setting applies to access type inbound to the gateway.  xDSL or Fiber.  There’s no need to touch it.  

Open your own thread if you need more help.  

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.