S

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, January 21st, 2021 6:28 PM

Closed

AT&T Fiber - using own router & modem allowed?

Hi all, looking into getting fiber from AT&T (AT&T Internet 1000) and was wondering if I can use my own router/modem for fiber internet so that I do not have to pay rental equipment fees.

From my research, there seems to be some restrictions with using personal router/modems and requires some technical workarounds ("IP Passthrough"?) but unsure if my information is out of date.

Is using a personal router & modem allowed for AT&T fiber? Would you recommend purchasing my own router/modem? If so, which model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

So where is my SFP module with my 320 then cause it ain’tt here and i been begging since day one.  and there is always going to be the grammar queen no need for that 

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

either way thanks for the help online right now with tech support getting a 320 with an sfp module.....  guess you can get one. sweet. 

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 years ago

The SFP module adapter is in the gateway... if have a 320 look where the fiber plugs into the gateway... that is the SFP.

If you have a standard ONT then using ethernet cable to connect to the RED port on the gateway. 

ATT Fiber Install with BGW320-505 for IP Passthrough : eero

(edited)

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for your help I finally got them to send a 320 to me. Quick question though, does the sfp module come with the 320 or do I need to get an  SC one myself  to get off that conveter box in the closet. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

They may or may not actually send you a 320.  They may have just sent you a 210 or 5268, at least that's the way this has historically worked (the honest CSR will tell you they have no control, the dishonest CSR will tell you they're shipping you whatever you asked for; either way you'll get whatever gateway first comes into the hand of the person shipping a gateway to you).

Even if you do get a 320, and you get the SFP (either preinstalled, or separately acquired), what have you actually accomplished?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

I got a replacement gateway a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t a 320

@JefferMC 

Even if he got a 320 wouldn't he still connect it via Ethernet? He’d need a different fiber cable connected to the incoming fiber where the ONT was, correct? 

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 years ago

@browndk26 you are correct... if the OP actually receives a 320 having a white ONT (010) in the closet area, the OP would be unplugging the current gateway and plugging the new gateway into the RED ONT port of the 320.

To actually use the 320 as the ONT, would require a special request service call ($99) to remove the 010 ONT, change the fiber wall jack bracket to a plate, install a pre made fiber connection to the plate then to the back of the 320 using a required SFP the tech would need to provide. Then the tech would need to perform an ONT swap request on their ipad or iphone to activate the 320 as the ONT, takes up to 10 minutes... This requires the 320 to be in the same room as the fiber wall jack, not in a different part of the building where ethernet is providing the connection. 

If needing the ONT to be in one location with the gateway in a separate location then the OP currently has the proper equipment, an ONT by fiber termination with ethernet run to RED port of the gateway, preferred is the 210-700.

Either method is acceptable and monthly rate is the same...

I personally prefer the (2) separate devices for the extra indicator lights on the 010 or 020 ONT and easy of troubleshooting. 

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

So i get an sfp fiber SC module direct to my own appliance and get off of this crap 210 wanna be passthrough double nat crap modem.  we dont need   Dinosaur tech here. 😊 the big question is why does it bother you so much we want off their crap hardware.... Further more telling customers to get service else where is just how companies get started that eat up half your net in a blink.  Thanks though glad to know att is finally offering sfp modules for there gateways. with 320.. that will just end up back in it’s box in the back of the closet.  what a waste.   Why would i ever pay some one $99 to do something I can do myself.   Well we will see if they send me the correct 320 or not.  Great customer service by the way...  Hopefully they get it right.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

Ah, @McCloudWalker therein lies the rub.  You'll still be using AT&T's BGW320, still paying them a monthly fee, and still no bypass.  Good luck.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

It doesn’t bother us that you don’t want to use the equipment. Just trying to make you understand you still have to pay the $10 fee. And in some areas the gateway bypass doesn’t work anymore. If you get a 320 it cannot be bypassed because the ont is built into it. No one has figured out how to bypass it yet.

Lots of discussion about the bypass and using other equipment at dslreports.com. That site is more suited to advanced users who like to experiment and manage their networks. Most people here just want the service to work without thinking about it too much. 

Moderators, please close this thread. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.