AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
S

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Jan 21, 2021 6:28 PM

Closed

AT&T Fiber - using own router & modem allowed?

Hi all, looking into getting fiber from AT&T (AT&T Internet 1000) and was wondering if I can use my own router/modem for fiber internet so that I do not have to pay rental equipment fees.

From my research, there seems to be some restrictions with using personal router/modems and requires some technical workarounds ("IP Passthrough"?) but unsure if my information is out of date.

Is using a personal router & modem allowed for AT&T fiber? Would you recommend purchasing my own router/modem? If so, which model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.3K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T requires their own Equipment.  The official position is that you can install a router behind it in IP Passthrough mode.

They used to provide an ONT and Gateway (router) as two devices.  Some have figured out non-supported ways of temporarily bypassing the Gateway (while still having to have it for authentication to the AT&T Network). 

AT&T now installs a combination ONT/Gateway (BGW 320) in a single box.  It's not going to be possible to bypass it the same way as previous Gateways because it's all in one box.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T requires you to use their gateway for their fiber service. You can disable the router portion (pass through mode) and connect a much better router to it. There is also a way to use your own modem but AT&T will still charge you the monthly fee regardless of what you do once you signup for the service. At least the last time I checked.

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

When can we get SFP fiber module?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.3K Messages

2 years ago

An SFP fiber module for what equipment?  And why would that do you any good?  Please explain.

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

So we can get off there modems. I dont need the crap equipment offered by ATT. Fact is there modem adds to the hop passthrough doesn't work right.  cant turn dhcp off and have passthrough on. Id rather bot have to pay the 10 dollar equipment rental for 12 year old tech. Plus it is insecure from private side and does not support vlan properly furthermore any tech with you modem info can have a wild hair and give you a bad day.  

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.3K Messages

2 years ago

You're looking at a technology solution to solve a business/security issue.  AT&T has decided they're going to use a certificate to authenticate and that they're only going to provide that cert in firmware for devices they provide.  This is a business/security issue, not a technology issue.

The SFP fiber module really is no different from an ONT connected via Ethernet cable.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.7K Messages

2 years ago

The SFP module for the 320s are provided by the tech when installing the gateway. There are (2) different units depending on PON type.

If wish to hack bypass the required gateway will need to request a standard ONT (010 or 020) with activation by a tech installation of 210 gateway. Would not have the 320 with PFP if  wishing to bypass...

Still owe the monthly $10 equipment with the provided gateway (210, 599, 5268) sitting in a box to provide initial service and any future needs.

If do not desire the equipment fee, recommend considering a different ISP...

Note... standard service call is $99 which is about 10 months of equipment fees to  activate, troubleshoot customer owned equipment.

(edited)

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

All do respect thats (Edited per community guidelines). &n(Edited per community guidelines)p;Better look deeper in the whys they do this security and technology issues. &n(Edited per community guidelines)p;ONT can be done on SFP. without all the extra crap ATT throws on there modem. &n(Edited per community guidelines)p;we should be offerd the choice. &n(Edited per community guidelines)p;who wants an fiber to cat converter in there closet that they gotta pay 10 bucks a month for just give us fiber all the way to the tor

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.3K Messages

2 years ago

Sigh.  That would be "due respect".  Yes, the function of the ONT can be done on an SFP, but that is irrelevant.  As my thoughts said, the BGW 320 connects to fiber using a SFP, but you'd still have to pay AT&T the monthly for the BGW 320, so your solution is already provided, but it still doesn't solve your problem.

If you want to own all your equipment for a fiber connection, you'll need to hope Congress and/or the FCC mandates it or that someone else provides Fiber to your home.

(edited)

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

my tech never offered me a SFP module.  I guess if i gotta pay the 10 a month i want to get what i want. Im already paying the 10 so how fo i get my sfp module 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.