For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bakertaylor28's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, July 17th, 2017 12:12 AM

Apart from the number of available addresses, what are the practical uses for IPV6?

Are there any distinct advantages for an IPV6 address, or is it perfectly fine to drop IPV6 in favor of IPV4, without consideration for usage conditions and other variables? This is the first time I've had to deal with IPV6 up close.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

@bakertaylor28 IPv6 and AT&T Internet services has more information on IPv6. Let us know if you find this information helpful.

-ATTCares

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

That didn't quite tell me anything that I didn't already know. Specifically, to clarify the question a little more, what I was wondering is exactly what you can do with IPV6 that absolutely CAN'T be done with IPV4- i.e. in that apart from the address shortage problem, why does anyone want IPV6 around, as it would seem that IP is IP, and hence it would seem that IPV6 only serves to increase available addresses, but doesn't offer much more functionality in theory, since an address is an address, regardless of how one chooses to "express" the address, unless there's something about  the concept of IP that I'm overlooking.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

You should be able to turn it off.  Indeed, there are posts in these forums that suggest turning it off.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.