Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Feb 13, 2018 2:36 AM

AirTies 4920 - Ethernet ports

Set everything up and the wifi is fine. Trying to use the Ethernet ports on the back and there is no internet.

Responses

Brand User
ATTHelp

Administrator

• 

108.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hey @jClehpas!

Thank you for reaching out to us on Community Forums.  The AirTies 4920 is a Wi-Fi extender which will boost the signal from your modem to parts of the house.  This device will only help Wi-Fi signal, it was not intended to be used with an Ethernet cable.  If you would like to use an Ethernet cable to connect you will need to connect directly to your modem.  Here is a link for more information for your AirTies 4920 extender.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Thank you,

Susan, AT&T Community Forums

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

https://fccid.io/Z3WAIR4920/User-Manual/User-Manual-2554906

Step 4 in the manual says that you absolutely can hard wire.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Can you look into this more please? The instructions you provided say you CAN use the Ethernet port. 

Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm experiencing the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Not only does the manual say you can use the ethernet ports, but the AT&T tech who installed this plugged in my devices when he set this up. Everything was fine until I had to move the device. Now I get a yellow light next to one of the ethernet lines and the device that is plugged in there--a Phillips hub--doesn't work. Problem may be the hub, but I would at least like to know the significance of the yellow light. The manual says nothing and Google isn't helping...just brought me here. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

We have three of them and then are experiencing the same issue and getting came here for help found otherwise waiting for a response from AT&T so I put in my two cents

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

You must make sure the are plugged  directly into the Gateway not into a switch!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 months ago

I'm sorry to be pointing this out, but quoting from the Airties 4920 website:  

"Device connections
Your Wi-Fi gateway and the Smart Wi-Fi Extender use the same network info. That means you connect a new tablet, smartphone, or laptop to your Wi-Fi network with an extender the same way you connect to your gateway. Just enter your Wi-Fi network name and password

You can even connect devices like smart TVs, media players, and gaming systems to the extender with an Ethernet cable."

How do your reconcile this with your answer?  Is AT&T deliberately killing this capability?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 months ago

Following up a bit on my previous post...I have two extenders, the farthest of which having BOTH a U-verse TV receiver (wired type) and a Roku plugged in via network cable.  Both devices work.

However, I also have another extender intermediate to the above and the gateway (5268AC).  These extenders do NOT create a "mesh network" in any sense of the word.  Both extenders (try to) connect back to the gateway, so the farther one gets a poor signal, even though the TV and Roku work reasonably well.

I have had multiple conversations with AT&T support, and multiple service calls.  The service guys have been great, exhibiting a great level of patience, but no one has yet solved my problems with Wi-Fi coverage, and the extenders were a waste of money ($50 each).

Anyone have solutions, or other suggestions?  Love to hear from you!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 months ago

I am using 4 extenders and they are all working. I have 3 connected wirelessly back to the router and the fourth wired directly back to the router reaching the farthest point in the house from the router. The wired extender has the best throughout of all the extenders. Two of extenders have other devices, a smartphone hub and smart tvs, attached and they work well also. I have also read that to make a mesh network you don't wps the new extender to the router. Instead you wps it to the closest extender. I. E. Once they are powered up and ready to be paired you push the wps button on one extender and then the wps button on the new extender. I had the same problem with one extender being too far away from the router and i think this would have solved the problem. I chose to hard wire the extender that was having the problem and like i said it is doing fine. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

I have one port directly connected to the modem and was wondering if I can use the other port to connect to a switch 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 months ago

I'm not sure but it's worth a try. I don't know of any reason it shouldn't
work. If the port is active for another device it should work.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

it did work.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I was having a problem with my AirTies 4920; it refused to connect to my gateway wirelessly. I was able to use a hard-wired Ethernet connection to get the 4920 paired with my gateway, then shut off, moved, plugged the 4920 into an available Ethernet port in my house (through a switch), then turned it back on. Only then would it would actually connect with the gateway,. Now it is a true wifi extender. Too bad neither AT&T nor AirTies could state that clearly.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

ATT actually installed mine and hardwired them to the modem. Yes they work
great