fatguylaughing's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 29th, 2018 12:22 AM

Add Second Router For More Wired PCs

I recently got AT&T's Fiber internet and U-Verse package. The current problem I am having is their are not enough ethernet ports in the back of the router to hook up all of my desktop computers. Currently there are two ports being taken up by AT&T for U-Verse and some wall jack. The other two ports are connected to two of my desktops. I need to be able to hook up all three of my desktops via wire. I have an extra router and have been trying to daisy chain the routers but I have had no success. Anyone know what I need to do?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Currently there are two ports being taken up by AT&T for U-Verse and some wall jack.

One of those (yellow ethernet ports) is to your dvr?  I cannot think of what the wall jack you are describing is for?  There's certainly the wall/street connection but that's plugged into your green broadband port of for fiber your red ONT port. 

The other two ports are connected to two of my desktops. I need to be able to hook up all three of my desktops via wire. I have an extra router and have been trying to daisy chain the routers but I have had no success. Anyone know what I need to do?

If all you need is additional ports for internet connections then you want to use a gagabit ethernet switch, for example, a NetGear GS105 (or GS108).

Note, do not attempt to put any of your uverse equipment on this kind of switch since the multi-cast tv traffic doesn't "play well" with straight internet connections.  There are techniques for doing this but IMO you want to avoid them if at all possible.

Update:

Overlapped posts.  I was constructing mine while my thoughts was posting his.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.