For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
8rotom's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, June 27th, 2015 5:16 PM

Accessing a NAS

I recently went to AT&T from Bright House. Now I can no longer access my NAS (DS210j). I can get to it using a web browser but not through Windows Explorer. Therefore I am unable to put files on it. I can view and listen to files on it. At the moment it isn't a huge problem but I would like to add to it some day in the not too distant future. I emailed the tech who installed the NVG589 but he was either unable or unwilling to help, since it wasn't AT&T equipment I was trying to access.

Does anyone have any ideas? The tech said he laid another ethernet line while he was running the one for the DVR. I notice that the front of the NVG589 has Broadband 1 and Broadband 2. I imagine that stands for the cat-5 cables to the DVR and the switch to which the NAS is connected. Everything connected to that switch is working and has a connection to the internet.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@8rotom

This should help you do it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7

You need the IP address of the NAS and plug it into the "Folder" line, but follow the instruction example given on the page, for instance you would type \\192.168.1.85\ in the field depending on the IP address it's assigned.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@8rotom

Did you set up the NAS originally or was it someone else? Did you ever update the Windows Explorer "Map Network Drive" to point to the new IP address that your NAS now has on your new gatewau?

Broadband 1 and Broadband 2 stand for the status of each DSL line pair(1/1&2) or a fiber to the home connection.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Sorry to seem a bit thick but how do I "Map Network Drive" if I can't see it in Windows Explorer? Yes, I set up the NAS several years ago.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I actually had to look that one up... Network Accessable Storage..

Basically, a stand alone memory storage device, kinda like a cloud server, except its local.

And it's not a hard drive, so no moving parts.

Best i can guess, it's like an external SSD.

No point other than, had no clue what an NAS was.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Darknessrise, That was the first place I went when I first noticed this problem. Trouble is, I didn't go far enough. It didn't occur to me that I should go that last step because I didn't think of my NAS as being on the internet. Thank you so much for pushing me to that last step. Problem solved.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.