zacharycook's profile

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

Sun, Feb 1, 2015 8:09 PM

3801HGV Rebooting

Everything has been great for about 5 years.  Then once or twice a day this gateway reboots itself.  I requested a replacement and the replacement is doing the exact same thing.  Support suggested it is due to line issues, but I've since re-run and repunched everything on the internal side and have seen no significant difference.  I'm about ready to do a completely new cat6 run, but that involves quite a lot of hassle for something I'm not terribly convinced of.

 

Here are my line stats.  Does this look exceptionally out of order?  I'm going to request yet another new box I think.

 

Stats-2015-02-01-14-04-39- No IP.png

 

ErrorTable-2015-02-01-14-05-10 - No IP.png

 

Bitloading-2015-02-01-14-05-28 - NO IP.png

3 Attachments

mibrnsurg

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

Il y a 8 y

@zacharycook Everything looks great now, but can't really tell until 24 hours is up and some reboots occurred to see what kind of errors show up, if a Uverse line problem.

 

Otherwise could be a dirty power situation causing the reboots or power interfence on the line.

 

Could be these things from ScottMac:

 

Have you notice the occurrances in the context of other events in your home, possibly outside your home, and (really happens) something in a neighbor's house?

A neighbor with a new kilowatt linear for his Ham or CB radio?

Maybe a blinky streetlight?

Any electrically-operated workout gear in your home (or neighbor's)?

Aquariums?

Heating Pads?

Light Dimmers?

Touch-control lamps?

Dusk/Dawn sensors on the porch?

Any new CFL bulbs (OK to be green, as long as you don't watch TV or listen to AM radio ... j/k ...)

 

Or these from SomeJoe:

 

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

 

Tripp-Lite Isobar Surge Protectors do wonders.  Some techs actually carry these on their trucks for these situations.

 

http://www.tripplite.com/product/Premium-Surge-Protectors/825

😉

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

Il y a 8 y

I can't expect 24 hours of stats because the thing wipes on reboot and reboots every 12 hours or so. It's on a power strip that has an indicator for bad ground/no ground which is not tripped. So power is clean.
mibrnsurg

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

Il y a 8 y


@zacharycook wrote:
I can't expect 24 hours of stats because the thing wipes on reboot and reboots every 12 hours or so. It's on a power strip that has an indicator for bad ground/no ground which is not tripped. So power is clean.

Try plugging it directly into the wall plug.  Even if no trip shows, power strips can goof up things, expecially after 5 years of good service.

 

Have seen this work many times over my more than 6 1/2 years w/Uverse and here. 😉

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

Il y a 8 y

I changed the power strip out and went to a different outlet just for grins.  It's worth noting that there's a 5 port switch and the uverse wireless access point on the same strip, and neither of those have any issues with rebooting themselves.  Seems pretty cut and dry that it's the gateway.  The unit just reboot itself again and the line looks better than my earlier posted stats with 0 corrected blocks since it's boot.

 

You would think if it was a flare up of line activity and interference then there would surely be some noise following the reboot to get logged?   I've setup a syslog server and pointed this to it so maybe I can actually get some information about what happens right before the unit reboots.  If it saved logs anywhere that'd be really nice.

dirt2mud

Teacher

 • 

14 Messages

Il y a 8 y

I'm not sure what state you're in, but I'm having the same problem. Was fine for almost three years and then BAM, resets daily. I'm in SC.

 

If you poke around you will see the same complaint from many folks. Hopefully they will fix the issue or time to move on.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

Il y a 8 y

I too am having this issue. I've unplugged the battery backup, plugged straight into the wall, switch surgeprotectors and etc. This is my second replacement and it's really annoying, especially in a FaceTime call. I'm located in CA.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

Il y a 8 y

I managed to get a Syslog and this was the last log before it rebooted

 

Feb 2, 2015 1:47:24 AM|192.168.1.254|<132>Feb 02 01:47:25 192.168.1.254 hpna:  stats overflow: channel count > 32

Feb 2, 2015 1:47:51 AM|192.168.1.71|STOP|Service stoped on 192.168.1.71:514

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

 • 

29.3K Messages

Il y a 8 y


@itsyourboykenny wrote:

I managed to get a Syslog and this was the last log before it rebooted

 

Feb 2, 2015 1:47:24 AM|192.168.1.254|<132>Feb 02 01:47:25 192.168.1.254 hpna:  stats overflow: channel count > 32

Feb 2, 2015 1:47:51 AM|192.168.1.71|STOP|Service stoped on 192.168.1.71:514


Are any of your TV receivers connected by Coax?  Has anything changed about your coax lately?  I ask because of the "hpna: status overflow" error.  That looks pretty innocuous, but...

 

Also, looking at your device list on the home page of the router, what device has the IP address 192.168.1.71?

 

dirt2mud

Teacher

 • 

14 Messages

Il y a 8 y

Hi JefferMC,

Any ideas with my issue? I only have plain-ole internet, no voice, no TV.

 

Worked great for 2 yrs and then in December things went south. Nothing's changed on my end.

 

Dirt

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

 • 

29.3K Messages

Il y a 8 y

Does your service come in on Coax?  (If you don't know, list what ports have something plugged in to them on the back of the RG).

 

I'm thinking that your problem sounds more like unclean power or over heating.

 

dirt2mud

Teacher

 • 

14 Messages

Il y a 8 y

My service comes in on a regular copper pair. Leaves the ONI comes in on one phone jack and then plugs into modem. I use one ethernet port for my PC. I just got the old modem replaced two days ago and still reboots. The power to the modem is connected directly to a wall outlet. I moved it to another outlet this morning- will need to watch for a day to see what happens. The wiring in the house is new because it was just built 10 months ago.

 

My service was fine for two yrs no issues until about mid-December. It makes me think that either hardware was changed in the network or software upgrade was done in the network. Nothing changed on my end for sure. The service coming to the house I've been using for 4 yrs with ADSL (no problems ever) and was forced to switch to VDSL (u verse) 2 yrs ago (no problems until now)

 

Thanks

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

Il y a 8 y

I'm in Chicago.  I put in a support request to have the unit replaced again, and we'll see how that goes I guess.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

Il y a 8 y


@JefferMC wrote:

@itsyourboykenny wrote:

I managed to get a Syslog and this was the last log before it rebooted

 

Feb 2, 2015 1:47:24 AM|192.168.1.254|<132>Feb 02 01:47:25 192.168.1.254 hpna:  stats overflow: channel count > 32

Feb 2, 2015 1:47:51 AM|192.168.1.71|STOP|Service stoped on 192.168.1.71:514


Are any of your TV receivers connected by Coax?  Has anything changed about your coax lately?  I ask because of the "hpna: status overflow" error.  That looks pretty innocuous, but...

 

Also, looking at your device list on the home page of the router, what device has the IP address 192.168.1.71?

 



Yes all my receivers are connected through coax, and no my Coax setup has been the same for years, the only thing that has changed is the Router/Modem, but there are some concerning activities in my firewall. I'm getting about 17

 

"fw,fwmon: src=223.11.212.50 dst=[my home ip] ipprot=17 sport=53 dport=4092 Unknown inbound session stopped"

 

per 10 minutes. Most of those connections are comming from China. 192.168.1.71:514 is my Nexus Player that I've setup a Syslog Server to record throught the night.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

 • 

29.3K Messages

Il y a 8 y

It is not unusual to see the RG have to discard unsolicited traffic.  The Internet is not a safe place; bots are constantly probing to see what's available to hack into.  The problem would be if it weren't discarded.

 

All it takes for a HPNA problem is for one connection to become less than solid.  This can happen when you move furniture to put up a Christmas tree (flexing the connector at the wall outlet), moving boxes in the attic (jostling a diplexor or splitter), etc.  

 

You might try running the http://ufix.att.com and see what it says.  If you can run UVrealtime (from www.UVrealtime.com), and use its coax/HPNA tab, that can be helpful.  If you have Windows 8 or later, you need to install WinPCap from www.winpcap.org first).

 

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

Il y a 8 y


@JefferMC wrote:

It is not unusual to see the RG have to discard unsolicited traffic.  The Internet is not a safe place; bots are constantly probing to see what's available to hack into.  The problem would be if it weren't discarded.

 

All it takes for a HPNA problem is for one connection to become less than solid.  This can happen when you move furniture to put up a Christmas tree (flexing the connector at the wall outlet), moving boxes in the attic (jostling a diplexor or splitter), etc.  

 

You might try running the http://ufix.att.com and see what it says.  If you can run UVrealtime (from www.UVrealtime.com), and use its coax/HPNA tab, that can be helpful.  If you have Windows 8 or later, you need to install WinPCap from www.winpcap.org first).

 


Here is the report from UV Realtime

 

CoaxHPNA-2015-02-03-02-02-51.png

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.