Snafoo's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 3:40 PM

2 XBOX One's on Pace 5268AC

Until 2 weeks ago I had 2 Xbox Ones connected to WRT54GS running Tomato 1.28 via Bridge mode from an NVG589 AT&T gateway. Everything was working fine until it wasn't. I called support and they said my router was broke and they would send me replacement asap. So 3 days no gaming. The replacement router was a Pace 5268AC. I put it in place of the NVG589 and set it to DMZ to the WRT54GS without issues. This worked for one week. On 11/13/15 my son told me he couldn't connect to his friends xbox live games and that his NAT was STRICT. I checked my xbox and it was STRICT as well.

So far I have reset both routers to factory default and put my previously working configuration back on both routers but now it doesn't work.

I tried setting up 1 xbox straight to the gateway alone = Strict NAT

I put 1 xbox in DMZPlus alone = Strict NAT

I tried a newer ASUS RT-N12 router as DMZPlus with 1 xbox = Strict NAT

I tried port forwarding 1 xbox alone on ASUS RT-N12 as DMZPlus = Moderate NAT

53 UDP & TCP

80 TCP

88 UDP

500 UDP

3074 UDP & TCP

3075 UDP & TCP - for COD Black Ops III

3544 UDP

4500 UDP

I tried port triggering 1 xbox on ASUS RT-N12 as DMZPlus = Strict NAT

I tried 1 xbox on ASUS RT-N12 as DMZPlus with UPnP enabled = Strict NAT

I've just about run out of things to try. I search the web and found all the posted solutions but most are for NVG routers. The most similar models I have found to what I have is the 2Wire and the solutions I found do not work for me.

Am I missing something. Setting up the NVG589 was easy to do with the WRT54GS as internal router.

Any suggestions you can give is greatly appreciated.

I have not called support yet but plan to this afternoon but confidence is low.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

If it can't do, out of the box, what every basic router out there in the world right now can, such as allow a very common video game system to operate on the internet the way it's supposed to, is below the standard of the industry.

If it can't do, out of the box, what the standard Comcast gateway can do, it is below the standard of the industry.

If it can't do, out of the box, what a FiOS gateway can do, it's below the standard of the industry.

If it can't do, out of the box, what the 5+ year old gateway it is replacing can do, it is below the standard of the industry.

It's the odd man out, not Microsoft.

UNACCEPTABLE.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

I'm waiting for a STANDARD... you know, things issued by IEEE or similar, ratified by the members of the standard committe... you know, a STANDARD.  Not a "what I think it ought to have."

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Stop being obtuse, you know bloody well that's not the sort of standard I'm talking about. You're intentionally being smug and glib.

It's extremely simple, so simple I'll repeat it for the umpteenth time. This worthless piece of garbage at&t had decided to use can't even handle a simple task that the hardware it replaced could do, let a platform that has a combined 39 million + units in the United States operate as intended without a half-arsed tweak inside the settings, or paying $100+ for additional hardware, which has been pointed out doesn't even necessarily solve the issue. UNACCEPTABLE.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

Fine.  It's unacceptable to you.  But there is no "industry standard" of which you speak to which it does not conform, because no such "industry standard" exists. Your options at this point are to take your business elsewhere, purchase the third party router, or do neither and continue to complain on this forum [which won't accomplish anything useful].

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

First: Yes, there is an industry standard. Stop trying to foist this notion of a ratified standard, like 802.11. That's not the kind of standard I'm talking about. I'm talking about features that are found on virtually every network routing device available on the market today. There's no ratified standard for having a mirror on the passenger side of your car, but when every manufacturer out there puts one on the car, guess what...it becomes a standard of the industry.

Unfortunately, while I would be perfectly thrilled to install a third party router at an addition $100+ cost for the basic use of my gorram service, that's not an option for me in my particular setup, nor should I have to. Being expected to buy additional equipment in order to use the service on a basic level is UNACCEPTABLE. Not just for me, but aparently for many others. Surprise, surprise. So, yes, I've already discussed the issue with my landlords, we will be switching service as soon as our service contract is up, which thankfully won't be much longer now.

As for your snide, pithy comment about how my complaining "which won't accomplish anything useful," that's the most arrogant garbage I've ever heard come out of anyone with a community award endorsement attached to their profile. It isn't just the right, but the responsibility of dissatisfied consumers to make their voices heard. Nothing will change if the company is unaware that people are dissatisfied. I may be one voice, but I'm not the only voice here, this isn't the only unhappy thread, and at&t needs to hear this stuff. If you don't like it...well, I'm sure there are other threads where people are sucking up to the company, your time might be better spent there, where you don't have to read about the "bad things." See? I can be condescending, too. Doesn't accomplish anything, does it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I had a similar issue.  Took me many hours of reading forums, a phone call to ATT, and about 6 hours of lost family time last night tinkering with my system to finally solve it. 

What bothered me the absolute MOST is that when I called the ATT customer service (call center overseas where they read off scripts and have an obvious total lack of knowledge or understanding of their systems... really aggravting as well) ... but the thing that MOST bothered me is that after (as expected) the agent was completely mystified with my issue, she proceeded to tell me it was "out of scope" and wanted me to PAY FOR SPECIAL TECH SUPPORT TO GET MY FREAKING XBOXES WORKING! 

NO THANK YOU.  This is not "out of scope".  It's your garbage router and a KNOWN ISSUE.  I'm furious right now. 

Anyhow, I did manage to solve the issue so for anyone out there with the problem reading this, hopefully it saves you some time:

I used a router that I purchased over FIVE YEARS AGO cheap on a discount electronics website.  You can probably get a similar router today for under $40.  It's wireless-N so should not bottleneck the system for the average home user.

Make sure it has uPnP funcionality (most routers do... just not the ATT Pace piece of junk).

Just plug a LAN cable from your Pace into the WAN port on your router.  Go into your pace router management and put the new router in the DMZ.  Make sure upnp is enabled on the new router.  The new router should be set up as a Gateway - not a bridge.  Log your xboxes into the new router wireless network (not the pace network which will still be active.  You should have open NATS on both xboxes after doing this.  Make sure you reboot everything too.

There should be no need for static IPs or any other tricks.  just a simple use of another router put into the DMZ and using that router for your xbones. 

Unfortuatnely I'm stuck wtih ATT and their overseas scripted problem "solving" support for the next nearly two years as they got me on a contract 😞

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

So I followed the guides that I found on here. 

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Static-IP-Setup-3600-3800-3801/m-p/3607065#M512

And this one.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/klince/2016/02/15/psasetting-static-ip-address-with-the-att-u-verse-gigapower-router-pace-5268ac/

Still not able to get my two xboxs to connect. I need help. From others that have done this or from Att.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.