Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.6K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Responses

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

Exepevents.  Maybe they should fix the forum to so that replies reference the post they are in response to without having to quote that post!

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

3 y ago

@sherrb1158  Use the @ and it will bring up a list of responders and alert them that they've been mentioned.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

I am NOT okay with Oath infiltrating my AT&T email. My contract with AT&T assures that I will be provided with email access. Nowhere have I ever consented to allowing a despicable company like Oath to have access to my personal data, and to share it with third parties. If my access to email is impeded because I do not consent to Oath, I think AT&T will have a huge legal liability on its hands, and I will be extremely unhappy. 

It's already a bad idea that AT&T allows a pathetic company like Yahoo to manage our web access to email (*Yahoo lost control of three BILLION accounts last year because it failed to do a simple security upgrade that had been advised for months beforehand). If AT&T's reliance on Yahoo means Oath is now going to be in my personal business, that is A) a violation of my contract with AT&T, which never requires me to consent to this to continue access to my AT&T email, and B) is sufficient for me to walk away from AT&T, no bluff. 

Oath is a despicable company. If anyone needs to know why, start here:

https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-aol-oath-privacy-policy-verizon-emails-messages/

and https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/16/oaths-privacy-policy-is-a-privacy-nightmare/

and https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3030231/yahoo-and-aols-oath-privacy-policy-lets-them-plunder-your-emails-for-ad-ideas

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

This is NOT a solution.  We have no CHOICE but to opt in to Oath having scan/read access to our emails, photos, etc. if we want to continue to use our email address, from what I can discern after hours on the phone with AT&T support and online looking for workarounds.  What about HIPAA regulations on emails from pharmacies, doctors, labs?  What about correspondences from our financial institutions or investment firms?

What most of us want to know is whether there is some other way we can access our AT&T email accounts without using Yahoo and having to agree to these outrageous Oath terms.  If there is no option then there are going to be huge impacts to people and their businesses to change web pages, business cards and advertising, business contact information, etc. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

I can't figure out why a behemoth like AT&T is being led about on a leash by a junk company like Yahoo on this. Yahoo lost 3 BILLION users' personal data (thanks to Oath) last year, and then Oath paid ransom to hackers (see https://www.hackerone.com/blog/H1-415-Recap-Oath-Pays-Over-400000-Hackers-One-Day). So now Yahoo wants us to let Oath have access to our messages, our contacts, our attachments (photos and videos, for them to use as they wish), locations, financial transactions via email, and demographic information? 

AT&T, ARE YOU OKAY WITH THIS?  If the answer is no, you need to let us know what you'll do about this. 

If the answer is yes, Bye. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

If you require HIPAA (*not HIPA) compliance, AT&T email has never been legally adequate, so I hope you haven't been using it for that purpose. You'd want to go for protonmail or something similar that has HIPAA certification. 

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks for your response.  I am not a HIPAA provider, (sorry for the 'sic').

I'm referring to my own email correspondences with my pharmacy orders, doctor, test lab.  Those should be protected by HIPAA also.  Additionally, what about email correspondences from my bank and investment broker, my IRS returns, etc.  If they can read/scan all of my emails and attachments then nothing is safe.  Granted, I have to log into secured websites to get to the detailed information about my lab tests, my financial accounts, etc., but they can still determine who I have accounts with and in many cases what my current monthly balances are on monthly statement notices, etc. I think most of us that are up in arms about this new FORCED Oath terms acceptance are chomping at the bit to move to another email provider, but as far as I can tell, that involves changing our email addresses.  I have had my account with AT&T for around twenty years.  I don't even know how to begin finding all of the businesses and people I will need to change my main personal email address with.  Then, think about the impact to others who use their AT&T email address for their businesses that will have to update advertising, web pages, business cards and customer contacts. 
 BTW, I spent over two hours with AT&T support a few nights ago about this, as my email was completely inaccessible with the Oath banner greying out my screen and unresponsive to any interaction.  Out of the three support people I spoke none of them said that they even knew who Oath was. 
 This is a giant cluster you-know-what!

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

Akicita, if AT&T is your internet provider, then you do not have to agree to the Oath terms. When you no longer pay AT&T for internet service, and you wish to keep your AT&T email address, then you will have to agree to the Oath Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

I have read that multiple times on this and threads related to the new Yahoo/Oath agreement, but that is apparently NOT the case, as we can't access our mail without clicking on the "agree to terms", at least when it is actually working.  I'm in the process of moving my email to another provider as I type this, which REALLY ticks me off as I've had this email address of nearly 20 years and don't look forward to the major hassle it's going to be updating my email with tons of business contacts, my utilities, bank, broker, everything. If you have anything you can point us to on that officially I'd be very interested, because I was just hovering my finger over the "export emails" button as I saw your post!
sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

I got on a support chat with AT&T email support, and they're telling me they are making management aware of the issues, opened a ticket on it, and said that they will exempt AT&T Internet subscribers from being required to sign the Oath agreement, or I think that's what I understand, as I haven't received the chat log yet. 

The support guy, named Karl, said that we can continue to access you email through going directly to "http://start.att.net/" to login and replying "I'll do it later" to the "accept terms" at the email sign-in.  It got me into my email that way .... but I'm waiting on them to send me a transcript with the ticket number and a follow-up before I put any weight to this actually working long term and to them changing the terms and I also requested a response as to how to rescind the "I accept" that I gave the other night because my sister was in the emergency room and I had to get to my email to contact family.  I also suggested that they send an update out to all AT&T Internet subscribers ASAP to clear this up, and that it is out in the news on CNET, CBS and sites that carry Kim Komando so they need to do some fast PR work to fix this before we all jump ship. We shall see .... I'm STILL waiting on my chat log that I requested as back-up doc.

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

This is NOT about "OAUTH" authentication,  it is a company named Oath, who bought Yahoo. 

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

Ohhhh, we're outraged, and we're complaining and demanding answers or loss of business.  This is now being reported on CBS, CNET and any services that subscribes to Kim Komando.  I've spent hours with AT&T on the phone, opening chat ticket, searching the web, etc.

They need to fix this ASAP!!!  I'm paying AT&T $235/mo. for my services.  All of that money will go somewhere else if they don't fix this fast and own up to what a disaster this "roll-out" has been!  

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

All true .... but the big issue is for those of us that have a major impact of having to change our email addresses.  Some have business dependencies, bank, vendor, subscription, etc. ties to their email accounts that they have been using for years, in my case I've had my "sbcglobal.net" account for nearly 20 years.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Yes, I empathize. I've had SBC for years and now plan to find a new ISP.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks for these links. These articles confirm our concerns.
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.