Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.6K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

@webhead1990

The AT&T | Yahoo | Oath Terms of Service and Privacy Policy is the beginning of the email provider’s charge to provide two tiers of service; provide free service in exchange for ads and loss of privacy, or to charge email users fees for privacy. 

Hasn't that always been the case with yahoo?  I believe they have free and pay tiers.  The "paid" tier should be implicit in a ISP using yahoo as their email service provider.  We pay att, att pays yahoo.  I would find it hard to believe (but not impossible) that yahoo as an ESP would have two tiers of service to an ISP.  But given what's going on now I may have to change my beliefs!  Man Frustrated

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

I have this account via my paid (expensive) use of ATT&T U-verse internet and phone. Why should I pay for more privacy? This is nonsense and this "Oath" company is yet another large online entity which is almost impossible to contact (I tried). This makes me want to go off the grid.
Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.
Steven

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

So you want my permission to use information from my personal emails, and I cannot opt out of that??!!??  You guys are completely insane!  I am looking for another email provider and this is the impetus I needed to switch my internet and cell phone provider as well.  AT&T screwed up big time 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

Spent some time yesterday and a LONG time today with AT&T representatives regarding this.  I got conflicting information which is not surprising.  Rep today spent about 40 minutes with me.  It was clear and ultimately she finally admitted that she was telling folks what she had been told.  Much of that verbal information directly conflicts with the written authorization.  Among other things she stated the following:

1. This is being ldone for security. {Yeah right}.
  2. Yahoo will not be scanning email, AT&T will.  I asked why no AT&T T&C to this effect.
  3. If decline agreement then cannot access email.  She could not answer what would happen and when if just ignore.
  4. Did not have answer for verbal versus written discrepancies.  I asked her if she could send me something documenting her "assurances".  She said she could send me copy of her summary.  {Sorry, not acceptable}.
  5. Told her I had worked with attorneys for 40 years (I am retired) and what she was saying just did not make sense.
  6. She did confirm that the AT&T email still resides on Yahoo servers.
  7. Told her that unless I could get some answers that made sense that I would likely be moving my email to other providers.  I have already opened some accounts.
  8. She is to kick this up and is to get back with me regarding my unanswered question within the next day.  We will see.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks for this detailed reply and taking the time to challenge the corporate instigators. I'm not surprised at the lack of clarity in her responses. I'm preparing to ditch this but will wait to see if there is some change of plans since there is evidently a lot of opposition. Good work!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I have been a customer for more than 25 years.  I recently received an e-mail from Yahoo regarding my AT&T e-mail account.  It stated that I had to accept the new Yahoo terms and conditions where I basically agree for them to access the CONTENT of my e-mails, pictures, message, etc.  That is a HUGE invasion of privacy. 

If I opt to open an e-mail account directly with Yahoo, and if I want to use their services, then I would feel compelled to agree to their new terms; HOWEVER, my business relationship is with AT&T NO with Yahoo. I understand that AT&T uses Yahoo's e-mail platform, more than likely because it is cheaper than AT&T providing the e-mail service directly; BUT, that is a business decision that AT&T made, and an agreement between AT&T and Yahoo, which I, as a customer, had to say.   

I EXPECT AT&T to protect their clients' privacy, and should mandate Yahoo to exclude their clients to accept such a privacy-invasive agreement.

I cannot believe that there are no more AT&T clients who are outraged by this, and that they are no flooding AT&T's customer service department with complain about this issue.

ATTChrisZ

Employee

• 

126 Messages

3 y ago

Hi all,

I contacted a peer regarding some if the concerns and questions you had and added some additional items not listed in the official FAQ response here. There are some items we cannot comment on as of yet but assure you we are looking into it. If you have any other questions or concerns not addressed the FAQ post or here, let us know. 

One thing I want you to know is that your email address will not change and will continue to work as it did before. 

ChrisZ

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

While the email address won't change and will "continue to operate as it did before", the terms of service certainly will and THAT is what is so objectionable.  This is an infringement on my privacy and I am dumping AT&T as my email provider as a result.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

Chris,

Thank you.  Anything that you could do so that we can get some reliable information regarding ths matter would be appreciated.  I will elaborate a little more to tell you what I mean.  The day before the 40 minute call, I got another rep.  Among the things that she told me was:

1. Yahoo used the AT&T logo without permission and was looking into the matter. I suggested that an email needed to come out directly under/only the AT&T logo to clarify this forst memo which is ambiguous at best.  AT&T needed to think of their customers first.
  2. Then AT&T should litigate Yahoo for unauthorized use of a logo/trdemark.
  3. I am not sure I believe any of this which is the reason I personally would be very grateful if someone could get this mess explained in understandable terms.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks. Yes, I'm thinking of dumping them and finding a new ISP too. (Using U-verse)

Voyager

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I just forwarded a summary of this whole mess to a national news outlet. With (lots of) luck, they'll blast it across the country, and AT&T will have to come up with some kind of story.

Here's hoping!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Good work! Let's hope they take notice.
sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

Why are you even posting an answer when you don't understand the issue? 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

3 y ago

@sherrb1158 wrote:

Why are you even posting an answer when you don't understand the issue? 

Who is that barb being pointed at?

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

3 y ago

There ARE no choices here apparently if we don't want to scrap our existing AT&T emails addresses and migrate our email to another platform, which by the way, requires us to agree to the "Big Brother" Oath terms in order to do that migration.   (My email access didn't work at all last week since I couldn't get past the "Accept new terms" screen that just greyed out my screen, and I spent hours on the tech support line and they said they had no idea what was causing the Oath Terms prompt to keep me out of accessing my email ... heck, they said they weren't even familiar with who Oath is!)

I've had my same email address going back to the SBCGlobal days and don't appreciate having to change my email address in a multitude of locations because this is being shoved down our throats with zero notice, and I'm not even a business owner.  I can't imagine the time, cost and potential lost customer business to business owners who will have to change web pages, business cards, advertising material, etc. to change email addresses if they don't agree to this OUTRAGEOUS privacy agreement from Oath that allows them to scan and read all emails.  What about medical related businesses that have to maintain HIPA compliance?  What about financial communications that can now be read, exposing what businesses clients have accounts with, making the subject to targeted hacking, etc.?

I'm going to do what I can to get this out into the media.  This is totally unacceptable.

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.