Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.6K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Responses

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

The AT&T | Yahoo | Oath Terms of Service and Privacy Policies contained in the email do not apply to existing AT&T U-Verse and Internet customers.  

As an existing AT&T customer paying for AT&T Internet service, this morning I contacted AT&T in 2 different ways - both giving me the same answer.  As long as I pay for AT&T service, I will not fall under the Oath Terms and Privacy Policy. But, once I end my AT&T service and wish to retain my email accounts, then I would have to agree to the Oath Terms and Privacy.

If you are an existing AT&T customer, call AT&T to confirm what I have written above.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Under 2,d (item ii) it says I cannot "make available any content" that is, among other items in the list,  that is "hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable;" very subjective discriptors.   My concern is that I hear people calling issues, problems, and enemies of our nation and freedom by the wrong names and often when I or someone call by the right names,  there are outspoken foes of logical common sense who call us truth tellers "haters" and "racists" among other negatives.   I call things by their correct names, seldom politically correct,  without being vulgar or obscene.  I write commentary often in e-mails.   I write the truth and express opinions about the behavior of a certain religion that believes in killing unbelievers,  AND NO IT IS NOT ABOUT CHRISTIANITY, but the other religions and non religious individuals who want to do away with Christianity.   I write things like "Abortion in most cases is simply murder."     Now it is possible that many of Yahoo or Oath workers, techs, etc. who see that statement and some other of my  e-mail content or content from other sources which  I forward and  say that is 'hateful' or 'objectionable'   She cannot  write that or forward it."   So, I am not going to accept those Oath Terms of Service.   I was blocked for nearly  two days this week from going to my e-mail, because I would not click I ACCEPT.   

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

Here are some other secure email providers that you can switch to.

CounterMail ProtonMail Hushmail Mailfence Tutanota

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

Here are some other secure email providers that you can switch to.

CounterMail- ProtonMail -Hushmail- Mailfence -Tutanota

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

@dogoodersrus

The problem with these secure email providers is that with the exception of Hushmail all require the receiver to have the ability to decrypt the encrypted email.  Some even require the recipient to use the same secure email client.  Protonmail is only a webmail (not client email app) and must be used with Tor.  This can be inconvenient for everyday use.

While Hushmail doesn't require the the recipient to have the decryption tools on their end, it's still inconvenient because the recipient needs to read the message through their browser if they are not also using Hushmail.   That might be acceptable if not for the fact that I read that the web page to read the message injects a Java applet into the browser to do the decryption.  Java, not Javascript.  And there is no way I would allow Java to run on my machine where I can't control it.  I always keep Java disabled.

Hushmail still is on my list of possible ESPs to switch to since the encryption is optional.  Ignore that and it looks like a good ESP candidate.  Top of my list at the moment though is Fastmail.  It appears to be a pretty good everyday use ESP which supports both webmail and POP/IMAP.  One of my criteria is POP/IMAP since I don't like webmail.  And that alone eliminates many of those secure email services.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

ATT and their partnership with Yahoo has created a new level of confusion that is not found with other providers. Maybe it is time to switch.

In the meantime here is what I got from all this:

ATT and Yahoo have an agreement to provide email;

Verizon buys Yahoo;

Our information is now being shared with Verizon;

ATT and Verizon are competitors.

Who comes up with this stuff? Who shares their client information with a competitor?

If Yahoo and Verizon are actually providing our email, why do we need ATT at all?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

There are different levels of security. Yes, If you want end to end encryption then you may need an extra step. But you can send and receive emails as normal. You will have better security like no ads, no one reading or selling your emails. They all work for regular sending and receiving emails with a higher grade of privacy and even encryption if you need it.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

I have different att services and It still is redirecting my email. This is very poor customer service, not to have a dedicated chat or dedicated phone number to resolve this. When you call the general number they don't help you resolve it, they just tell you what "should" happen.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

Does anyone know for sure that this involves email and not just the att.net web page which may or may not still have something to do with yahoo??  I was and remain very confused by all of this.  At one time, I had thought that we did, in fact, split the email completley from yahoo.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

Since this is being done by "Communication" companies, and you are still confused, it leads me to believe that they are doing this intentionally. Out of the blue capturing your email, leaving you no option but to submit and be sold; a sham set up to put you in complacency and lead you to believe that they are saving you and helping you for your own good all package with a make believe opt-out freedom. What does that sound like? Hmmmm...

I reject the spirit of bondage that had tried to get dominion of this world. All bondage is broken in Jesus, in wisdom, understanding, knowledge and action. Coming out of bondage is uncomfortable or you can stay hope that it gets better.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

I received an email stating there was a reply to my previous post raising concerns about the new terms of service. I was directed here. Above is simply a restatement of the Terms of Service email. That is not a response to my question. This forum is not user friendly. A response should be simple to locate. Actually MSN works much better. I need a response to my concerns about the Terms of Service (sent yesterday) to decide if I'm going to bother keeping my account. I'm quite disgusted with the potential privacy invasions with "Oath."

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

I received an email suggesting you replied to my post yesterday (above in this column). The link you direct me to above does not address my detailed concerns about the new Terms of Service but simply restates the information I received that prompted me to write and ask a question in the first place. I have some real serious concerns about privacy and data collection. This may well lead me to drop Att&t. This forum is difficult to navigate. How about a direct reply?

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

@steven7859 - off topic about what you may be seeing - I assume your forum settings are set to subscribe to each thread you post to and get notified of any additions to that thread.  You should click your avatar in the upper right of this page and click My Settings.  Go through them and check/uncheck as desired.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 y ago

The Privacy Policy at https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/index.html

The AT&T | Yahoo | Oath Terms of Service and Privacy Policy is the beginning of the email provider’s charge to provide two tiers of service; provide free service in exchange for ads and loss of privacy, or to charge email users fees for privacy. 

Whether or not email service providers implement “…affirmative express consent any time that data they haven’t made public is shared with a third party (1)” remains to be answered.

(1)  Audit Clears Facebook Despite Cambridge Analytica Leaks

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

APRIL 20, 2018, 11:58 A.M. E.D.T.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/04/20/technology/ap-us-tec-facebook-ftc-audit.html

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.