Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.6K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Responses

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

I just received a convoluted email about your new "Terms of Service" describing some joint venture between Yahoo, AOL, some company called "Oath" and Verizion. While couched in positive language, if I'm reading this correctly these terms state that this company will literally "analyze" email content for "Data" collection and link "information we have about you" to "third party sites. I find this troubling. The recent news about Facebook should be a caution against large Tech companies gathering personal date and using it for their "third party" marketing. Can you clarify just how deeply you plan to mine my emails, etc., and decide who will get this information?

I will no longer use this service if you plan to follow the example of Facebook in terms of collecting private information.

allen305

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

If Verizon, an AT&T  competing corporation,  owns Yahoo, why would I as a AT&T Customer want another company to have access to my personal information? What are some alternatives? Do I close my AT&T accounts and open a Verizon Account? Get a Gmail account? AT&T is a very large corporation. Why don't they have their own email servers? Something really stinks here????

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 y ago

There's already a long thread on this topic here.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

"Something really stinks here."

Yes, indeed.  It makes me wonder... does ATT get a kickback from Verizon and Cronies for letting ATT's customers get their and their correspondents' email privacy destroyed?

There MUST be some talented lawyers that are customers of ATT that can cause a stop to some of this merely by filing the right papers, such as a notification to sue.

Maybe the FCC can mess with ATT-VERIZON, because the Access program is an agreement between ATT and the FCC, and this program is included in Verizon's bullying and ATT's lack of customer support in this matter.

IANAL, but I know that, in business, some undesirable dealings can be interfered with merely by FILING some papers.

Let's get some BITE in our barking!

Arvidd

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

3 y ago

In my view, this is a steaming, festering crock. I got the same notice that others have gotten, with the AT&T and Yahoo logos at the top. It was AT&T that hired Yahoo to manage its email, not me. I did not like it at the time and like it even less now, with all of this major sloughing of responsibility, extreme indemnification, and personal data-mining on steroids required by the new "Oath" terms of service.

"Oath"? That sounds like something you'd do standing at attention before the Fuehrer while presenting a straight-arm salute. And what sort of mealy-mouth language is, "If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted." What does "could be impacted" mean? Enforced dental surgery on third molars with no anesthetic? Body slams? Floggings with Italian salamis?

After Mark Zuckerberg's cloyingly dissembling testimony before Congress and Facebook's seeming unrepentance as it forges ahead full bore while promising to be nice, probably it is no wonder that outfits such as "Oath" (what, armbands and stiff-legged marching next?) feel free to require us to self-shaft.

If you want a real shock, read the contract (that's what it is) you had to agree to if you were to gain access to your "patient portal" at your doctor(s)---and each one has a "patient portal" and is under heavy pressure to get you to sign up. Read the contract you made with this third-party outfit, which has absolutely no relationship with or concern for you whatsoever. You will find that they can do just nearly anything they want---throw your medical records into the street---and you have no recourse, because you have indemnified them utterly. Then read this "Oath" contract and see if it also raises the hair on the back of your neck.

AT&T had better do something about this right now. What is it doing anyhow in partnership with a prime competitor---Verizon---which owns this lousy "Oath" outfit?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I thought I might get a reply from someone from Oath/Yahoo/Verizon/ and the other companies under the new brand umbrella. Thank you, "do gooders r us"...(really? (;   I have read the long complicated versions of the terms of service and privacy policy-and the FAQ-and whatever else I could to understand it better. I deplore the fact you would share a person's info knowingly with another company AND country that has their own policies that you say you are not responsible for, but insist we as email users MUST sign a contract so you are not held liable for how our personal information is handled by them. Shame on you...while claiming you're making my user experience better all the while...you know that is soooo outweighed by your info-sharing profit margin! Yeah, I know most of my info is spread all over out there already; but you have to realize the recent Yahoo data leaks and your new forced contract that opens the data door for even more companies to reach their hands in and help themselves, tips the scales in a very negative light! The opt-outs are a sad, pretentious way of telling us we can feel safer. Shame on you for thinking we still believe that lie.

Shame on you Yahoo/Oath/Verizon  (you dogooder you) for creating user-end difficulties for me and others who have padded your pockets and fed your children since ???2007? I was promised there would be no email problems with my email account since the change-over was first mentioned...even just a couple days ago. Yet, I still have to spend hours trying to save/move/see my recent and saved email files---whenever I do get lucky and get into my email. It is not doing me any "good" to have my emails held for ransom. You get way too much freedom with my personal info as it is. Shame on you.
Can anyone take the time to tell me how to access my files with ease, so I can just move them somewhere for safe keeping? This is crazy. "dogoodersrus," you have a job because of people like me. Let me ask you this: If you took your next paycheck home to feed your kids and one of them was no longer there because they died-like mine did-and you remembered there were some sweet moments you shared in emails with them-wouldn't you want to access them freely? How would you feel if someone kept standing in front of your computer, keeping you from that? if you really are a dogooder--- do some real good.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

After looking through the 5 pages of "stuff" ... there are no definitive replies from the real culprits ... Yahoo, AOL,  AT&T, Verizon, and most importantly Oath, the new poobah in town ... So why should I just give in ... does no entity in this space really respect privacy? ... and what the h*ll are focused adds ... I DO NOT WANT adds ... I pay monthly fees to Verizon, AOL, etal for a service to access my e-mail, NOT too receive targeted adds or other crap.

Odyssey

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 y ago

If you are using Facebook and gmail, you are already letting them use your data in the similar ways as the new OATH .
  • Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services
  • Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you.
Ever wonder how that item you just looked at on amazon shows up in the advertisements of you Facebook window? 

There must be some email accounts for windows that do not read your emails. As for messages, that may be harder. 

On the iPhone side, it is easier. If you want privacy, use Apple's services. Emails, messages and iCloud are private. Services looks at your data to suggest movies, music, and the like but the data is not saved by Apple and if it is sent to 3rd party (Geotag to Yelp) they remove your information, or so they say. Apple email accounts are free and can be used across multiple platforms. iTunes is multi-platform though I do not think there is an Android version. 

If you are not concerned about your privacy, just agree to the new OATH terms of service. Does it really make any difference? Wasn't Yahoo was hacked a couple of years back, giving our data to whomever. Maybe they are just trying to make it legal? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks. Not sure how that applies to me. Google was not nearly as invasive, and yes, they did stop. This deal with Oath is ubiquitous access to information which is unconscionable. My concern is further elevated due to the fact that Yahoo is not accepting my several attempts to cancel the account ... a 'glitch' in their software, so I have no means of deleting the account, nor to escalate the issue.
savra14

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

3 y ago

I want to refuse OATH and really resent ATT for using Yahoo and forcing this on us.   I have been HACKED twice!  This is not a free acccount.  I pay for this email through ATT uverse!  I may need to change companies!

k9jdk

Scholar

• 

251 Messages

3 y ago

@Anonymouswrote:

I received the email on accepting OATH, I clicked on "Review and agree now" and it opened the log in page, I logged in and it took me to Yahoo's home page. Nothing to review or agree on.

I noticed the same behavior. After all the turmoil caused by this, probably a good thing.  We live in interesting times.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I received an email in my Yahoo account, indicating that I should review and agree to OATH's new Terms of Service and Privacy statements. I have been trying to do so for two days but cannot find an "I Agree" button. Here is what is happening: I click on either of the "Review and Agree Now" buttons within the email, after which I a new tab opens up showing Yahoo's homepage, where I sign into my Yahoo email account again. When my Yahoo mail opens up, I click on the email regarding OATH's new Terms of Service, after which I click on one of the "Review and agree now" buttons, which opens up a new tab showing Yahoo's homepage. I sign in again to my Yahoo email account, click on the appropriate email, and the process continues. I am in a loop! I have tried clicking the "Review and Agree Now" button in both Safari and Chrome. In Chrome I was able to read the Terms of Service, but there is no "I Agree" button anywhere on the page. The same holds true for the Privacy Policy and for the other categories shown in the left-hand bar. Now, for some reason, I cannot open up the Terms of Service in either Safari or Chrome. I would sure appreciate help! Thank you!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I have read the Oath terms of service. It makes the data mining of the details of my mail fair game as well as any information I try to access while a Yahoo tab is open. Nope, I don't like it. I am surprised at AT&T allowing the data mining of their customers by their competition Verison.

I have a Bellsouth.net email address because of the AT&T acquisition a few years back.  If AT&T goes forth with this I will need to reconsider my mail services which is tied to my internet, TV (Uverse), home phone, and mobile phones. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Your email service is horrible ! ! !

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 y ago

Hello,

You misunderstood my post. I posted their Terms and Conditions rhetoric to expose it to all who did not read it. It is terrible. I do not work for them. I am looking for a more secure email service like Hushed. I am still having trouble. When I login to att.net. It redirects and make me login to yahoo a second time.

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.