AT&T Community Forums
ATTHelpForums

Community Support

• 

2.5K Messages

Tue, Mar 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Why do I get the same spam messages. I lost count how many times I block and register them as spam or phishing, etc. I've tried everything. I never open emails that I don't recognize.   I am really good about that! How can I stop these ugly and sick messages from infiltrating my computer? (Example: F*ckbuddy.com) or something to that effect. I've blocked it so many times and it still finds its way to my spam folder. I have another email and never have this problem, except for Yahoo! 

citfta

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

3 years ago

Why is this thread marked solved?  Nothing has been solved as far as I can tell.  Our email is being held hostage by Oath unless we give up all our rights to a little privacy.  So can anyone call this thread solved?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

April 19, 2018

YAHOO versus PRIVACY

DISCLAIMER:  All of my comments are my opinions.  My quotes of others are accurate.

I received an Email from Yahoo yesterday, April 18, 2018.

You may recall an earlier post of mine where I had difficulty getting my new-account Uverse Access email to work because it seemed to be snarled with Yahoo.

Now this "affiliation" of ATT and Yahoo has become an atrocity to Privacy and reasonable users' rights.  Among other things that I was notified of by the Yahoo email to me is that they will "Analyze" ALL of my incoming AND outgoing emails and use the information which they misappropriate for a variety of purposes.

Here is that particular outrageous item in that email - more details of which are on their web pages.  Can you say "Zuckerberg"?:

We’ve updated how we collect and use data. We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, and relevant advertising to you and protect against abuse. This includes:
Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services
Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you
Providing anonymized and aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends  

Here is the email in all of its gory glory:
Subject: Important update to our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy
Date: April 18, 2018 4:52:47 PM PDT
Reply-To: replies@communications.yahoo.com

Hello,

Please see the below information from Yahoo.  These updates will not affect the way you access your att.net email account.

The AT&T Terms of Service have not changed You can review them here.

After reading the below information provided by Yahoo, if you have further questions please visit AT&T Community Forums.

Thank you for choosing us,
att.net Team

Dear Member,

In June 2017, Yahoo and AOL joined forces to create Oath, a media and technology company with a dynamic house of global brands, and a part of Verizon. It’s an exciting venture that we believe will bring a host of new innovations and digital experiences for our users. With Verizon, Oath can provide you with better experiences and services.

As part of this collaboration, we’re asking all users of Oath owned sites and services to agree to the new unified Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which will help us continue to deliver and build on great digital experiences for you.

Please take some time to review and agree to the new unified Terms of Service and Privacy Policy by clicking on the button below. If you already agreed, no additional action is needed.

Review and agree now

To help you understand some of the key updates, we’ve provided a summary below as well as a description of what tools are available to you to manage your data and experience within Oath’s house of brands. Please note that this summary is not exhaustive and we encourage you to review the updated versions of our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Those terms and not this summary will govern your relationship with Oath. To learn more about our approach to privacy, click here.

Terms of Service Updates Summary
We’ve added a mutual arbitration clause. Hopefully, disputes will never be an issue, but in the case of one, this allows a third-party arbitrator to help us resolve them. We’ve also added a class action waiver. These provisions are an important part of our relationship with you, so please read them carefully.
We’ve specified the legal entity that provides each service to you. For some services, this may be a different entity than the entity that previously provided the service. We’ve also reserved the right to transfer the providing entity for each service in the future.
General provisions that apply to billing, auto-renewal, and refunds have been added. Unless the additional terms for a service override the Terms of Service, these provisions apply to your use of our paid services.
Applicability of Terms. If you are using our services on behalf of another account owner (e.g., as an administrator, consultant or analyst) or on behalf of a company, business or other entity, the Terms of Service apply to your activities and are binding on the account owner or entity.
Indemnity for Non-Personal Use. If you are using our Services on behalf of a company, business or other entity, or if you are using our Services for commercial purposes, we’ve added an indemnity provision, which requires you and the entity to protect us against certain legal actions.
We’ve updated our choice of law and forum provisions. New York law now governs and New York, New York is the designated forum.

Privacy Policy Updates Summary
We’ve made it more readable! We took care to make it easier for you to understand our services and our privacy practices.
We’ve updated how we collect and use data. We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, and relevant advertising to you and protect against abuse. This includes:
Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services
Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you
Providing anonymized and aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends
We’ve joined Verizon. By joining Verizon, Oath and its affiliates may share the information we receive among Verizon. Learn more about Verizon’s privacy practices.
New information regarding personalization. We’ve included new information explaining how we combine data among our services and across your devices and Oath accounts. This allows us to provide more personalized content and services.
We’ve updated user choices. We’ve provided additional information about your choices when using our services, and given you control in our Privacy Controls section.

What You Need to Do

We have designed these changes to help improve your experience with Oath and its brands. To review and agree to the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, please click the button below. These changes go into effect as soon as you consent.

Review and agree now

Please note that although our services will continue to be available under the existing terms for now, you will eventually need to agree to the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in order to continue to use our services. If you have any questions or need additional help, please refer to this link.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support.

Sincerely,
Oath

[My NOTE:
They have two clickable items in that email, which lead you to two websites:

https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/terms/otos/index.html

and

https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/index.html]

I never wanted to be snarled with Yahoo, and now they provide us with pages of legalese that they tell us we must agree to.

Is there any way that I can be ONLY ATT's user and divorce myself from Yahoo, or at least all of its "Policies"?

The ATT Uverse/Access program, which I am utilizing with ATT, is the result of an agreement between ATT and the federal government in connection with ATT's merging with another corporation.  

Would someone please look into whether Yahoo can legally butt into this Uverse/Access program and throw all this legal stuff at us.

---  Thank you for reading, Joseph76

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I don't believe it's in anyone's interest to force us to accept Oath except for Yahoo, Verizon, and AOL!!! Boooo!!! Boycotting all of them!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

That's what it says.  Not only that, but it looks like "OATH" will receive the e-mail addresses of everyone you send e-mail to, and give those addresses to companies (like advertising and ???) people who will buy that information from them.  On top of that you automatically agree to 3rd party arbitration (which I can tell you is always rigged in favor of companies), and you waive some unspecified legal rights.  "OATH" is well named.  I spouted a few Oaths when I read their Summary of these privacy violations. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

How can you boycott them?  Yahoo is handling your AT&T mail.  You'll have to change providers (If you CAN). 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

How to I REJECT their terms of service?  (I realize it's only temporary and that they will eventually force me to either accept or drop AT&T, but I'd like to reject it until they get around to that point). Aren't Verzon and Spectrum now the same?  If so, there is no alternative service in my area.  I'd complain to my congressman, but they're all bought by the corporations.  Might as well waste my time on "3rd party arbitration."  What a joke.  A very BAD joke. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hello, My name is Maxwell.  On my other Yahoo account I can't even get into my email without making a choice to either accept or "accept later" It felt like a fascist move at first impression, it is very dangerous, what just happen here.  This is what it feels like under Stalinism, a totalitarian move.  If it weren't so it would not have felt that way on first impression when you go to open you email page.  There needs to be a national debate that would insure the American people why this is, how it helps us to have a better experience with Yahoo,.along with where did this come from?  I went to AT&T as soon as I saw that I was locked out of my email and the supervisor said it was an error and I don't have to worry about it (meaning I didn't have to accept)..But then what does it actually mean when they tell us "however" are emails will be impacted? The definition for the word "Impacted states" strongly effected by something!  Only in a totalitarian society will you be threaten, in such a way.   

Haven said all that it would take a lot of time and effort to have all my friends and business dealing transferred, lets say to Gmail, Microsoft edge, or other browser services .  This poses the question, would switching to another browser, be any better?  What I mean is, are those other browsers already operation and gathering our information (have the same terms and policies) as Yahoo is demanding?   There is a silent quiet move to shut down all free speech and replacing it with news (for example that makes it seem like all is well and their are know issues....we have to be careful.  I have not excepted these terms yet and the funny thing Yahoo remains free and know change there...with the exception of email.     

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Unacceptable.  I've never given AT&T or it's affiliates permission to scan the content of my email.  Nor would I grant the right to AT&T or it's affiliates to deliver the contents of my personal email to other companies.  This is a direct infringement upon the original agreement of more than 20 years.

I PAY for my email account.  I will not PAY to have the content of my email scanned nor delivered to third parties.  As a provider, your job ends at delivering / storing my email, not reading it so that you can sell me products!

I will not accept these changes.  Any attempt to scan my email and / or reveal the content of such scan to ANYONE / GROUP other than me will result in legal action.  If you cannot abide by the original agreement related to hosting my individual email, then I will cancel my account, create my own server and black list all Oath affiliated companies, employees, hosts, SMTP servers, and accounts from delivering email to / from said server - including AT&T.

Greg P.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

ORRRR...
(A) Att can finally find another, more trust worthy email service company to partner with to service their email  att customers, since we already pay for all those expensive packages and have signed contracts with you that also fill your pockets with all that ad analytic tracking income that your own partnerships have gained through my lack of privacy already!

(B) find a user-freindly way to ease the change-over problems you at att PROMISED would not happen to att.net clients
(C) create a phone hotline with trained staff specifically to address this issue!!!!
I should NOT be forced to sign-over my personal information with yet another group of companies (branded under Yahoo's new merger) by a FORCED contract that continually HIJACKS my access to my own email account!!!!...that I already had a contract for!!!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

Oath analyzes and stores all communications content, including email content from incoming and outgoing mail.  This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and Services.

With Partners.  We may share your information with nonaffiliated companies who are:

.  We may access, preserve and disclose information to investigate, prevent, or take action in connection with: (i) legal process and legal requests; (ii) enforcement of the Terms; (iii) claims that any content violates the rights of third-parties; (iv) requests for customer service; (v) technical issues; (vi) protecting the rights, property or personal safety of Oath, its users or the public; (vii) establishing or exercising our legal rights or defending against legal claims; or (viii) as otherwise required by law.

When you use or interact with any of our Services, you consent to the data processing, sharing, transferring and uses of your information as outlined in this Privacy Policy.  Regardless of the country where you reside, you authorize us to transfer, process, store and use your information in countries other than your own in accordance with this Privacy Policy and to provide you with Services.  Some of these countries may not have the same data protection safeguards as the country where you reside. 

We may update this Privacy Policy from time to time, so you should check it periodically.  If we make changes that are material we will provide you with appropriate notice before such changes take effect.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

To _xyzzy_  So you think that if we don't like having every e-mail read and all the to and from addresses sold to anyone who is willing to pay (advertisers, scammers, identify thieves, lawyers, insurance salesmen, and OTHER crooks) that we should just switch our e-mail to your "other e-mail providers?"  You must work for AT&T.  They are already adept at providing NO SERVICE. E-mail is an inherent NEED for an internet account.  AT&T needs to use some of the vast money it is extorting from its customers to provide e-mail service rather than farming it out to another conglomerate.  It's difficult to see which is the worst company here:  OATH or AT&T.  Which one of your 18 "badges" will you tuck your "solution" to THIS problem under?  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I just did some more searching and Google used to scan emails before 2014, but stopped then.  They are nolonger invading into users privacy.

Regards, Larry

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Here is my new E-mail "Signature":  

Please note that “Oath” (Verizon/AOL/Yahoo-AT&T-sbcglobal MAIL) is now reading and selling e-mails sent TO or FROM this account  - all text, photos, attachments, and addresses are up for sale.  Feel free to complain to your bought-congressperson.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

@riverboatsam said:

To _xyzzy_  So you think that if we don't like having every e-mail read and all the to and from addresses sold to anyone who is willing to pay (advertisers, scammers, identify thieves, lawyers, insurance salesmen, and OTHER crooks) that we should just switch our e-mail to your "other e-mail providers?"

Yup.  There's no way to "fight city hall" so I rather switch than fight and that's why I suggest it.

You must work for AT&T.

Just a att user like you.  Why would I suggest going to some non-att service if I worked for att? Man Surprised

Which one of your 18 "badges" will you tuck your "solution" to THIS problem under?  

I posted an alternative to using att/yahoo email service.  Take or leave it!   If you don't like it you can tuck it where the sun don't shine!

Get started...

Ask a new question